Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a Good Container to Boil Water in?

Default What is a Good Container to Boil Water in?

I don't really want to buy anything. I tried getting a soup can and duct taping string around it about 5 times as tight as I could. So I had a soup can with string handles. I hung a wire through my fire pit and tried to suspend the can over the flame, but the strings broke off after a few minutes. Like I said I want one I can make at home without spending any money. I like to make things myself.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Couldn't you just use tongs to set the can in or very near the fire instead of using string for handles?

The soup can has a plastic liner - while not a big concern when boiling water - just make sure your can is full (so the plastic won't melt). Instead of duct tape, poke two holes near the top (on opposite sides) and make a large looped handle (bail) with a coat hanger. Another good "water pot" from a can - although I suspect you may be too young to purchase it - is a 24 ounce Heineken can. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...light=Heineken
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can use pretty much anything that can hold water to boil water and that includes plastic bottles and paper cups, its just a matter of setting it up properly.

I do have to giggle though that you used the wire as the hanging line and the string as the handles. As crash said, poke two holes, but run the wire through there and you will have something that will be pretty resilient.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...well now...

1st, never use anything that can catch fire near an open flame, ok? 2nd, find a 1 lb. coffee can and a coat hanger. 3rd, gather your tools, an awl, a pair of pliers and some heavy-duty wire-cutters should do the trick. 4th without gouging yourself use the awl to poke two holes, opposite of each other right near the open top of the can. 5th, using the wire cutters, cut the coat hanger down to a good length. 6th, finally, use the pliers to bend the ends of the piece of coat-hanger to fashion a handle in the holes you poked. Now you should be the pride of any Hobo out there & ready to ride the rails.

Better yet, you could earn some green, go down to your local Wal-Mart & buy one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

the reviews are outstanding! If your Wally World doesn't have one they offer free shipping to your door if you order online! Don't give up on making your own, however. But at some point you'll need the proper gear!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1st, never use anything that can catch fire near an open flame, ok?
    But you look so much cooler boiling water in something everyone else thinks will burn.... (though I would never boil water in plastic unless I absolutely had to)

The old coffee can may be the best DIY way though since it's a nice large container with a large open top.

Yeah boiling water in a plastic can frequently and drinking it will give you cancer eventually.

Take whatever can you want to use and turn it upside down in the fire and burn out the plastic. Then you won't have to worry about it.
    -Sam

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

i wait until recycle day
    then ride around on my bike and pick up a few #10 cans and/or smaller sized cans

make a fire inside a #10 can
    set a smaller can ( with water ) inside on top of the fire/wood

have pliers ready to take smaller can out or use some bent bike spokes
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by Firecraft
    Yeah boiling water in a plastic can frequently and drinking it will give you cancer eventually.
    I'm not certain you can make that claim given all the variables involved. It certainly might and one could reason that it probably isn't good for you but I'm not sure you can make such a positive statement.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Isn't the reason stainless steel water bottles are talked about so much, is to boil water in?
    How about aluminum?

DW picked one up at the flea market a week ago, but it was painted alum..........?
    I picked up a little Billy Pot, and that's stainless......does fit in fanny pack......but just.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It may not be painted. It's becoming more and more common for the interior of aluminum water bottles to be coated with a food grade polyester powder that is baked on. Folks are concerned about aluminum in direct contact with food and beverage so the industry is starting to use the powder. It's BPA free by the way. I have no idea what food grade polyester does to your innards.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well a stainless steel water bottle would be an excellent thing to have considering this is emergency prepardness sub forum and not the making stuff one. You could boil the water in it and leave it in it to trek with. A pot makes for a poor transport item when it comes to water.

Though in all honesty, there is so much trash spread around, you could probably find any number of containers with caps and just boil water in any metal pot and fill those for transporting.

Just a note for our young Firecraft....If you use a metal water bottle (or other metal container) for boiling water, make sure it is not double walled. Boiling water in one of those could cause the vessel to rupture - maybe violently.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just a note for our young Firecraft....If you use a metal water bottle (or other metal container) for boiling water, make sure it is not double walled. Boiling water in one of those could cause the vessel to rupture - maybe violently.
    Good point, Thanks for pointing that out....I tend to forget sometimes, that there are some that take posted information as truth, with out considering the possible variations,sources and common sense.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    But you look so much cooler boiling water in something everyone else thinks will burn.
    If the point is to "look cool" use a gourd.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

If the point is to look cool, I am soooooooooo screwed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought the point was to be "Hot", not cool........Remember? Boiling water?

Oh well......still screwed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I stayed with phat. At least I'm close on that one.