Thread: Problem with balancing sticks

Default Problem with balancing sticks

Is there some super secret method to creating deadfalls that I am to dumb to understand? I have only gotten the split stick to work as its supposed to, and that without a rock under the base stick. Who would have believed it could be so hard to balance sticks

Try cutting your notches a little deeper, it will make the contact points more stable in the three sticks. Also, make sure the notch that connects the trigger stick to the support stick will hold at the angle your post stick is holding everything. Yay physics.

It depends on the trigger you are using. When I am going to use a straight trigger, I will find a stick the full length I need then carefully saw it at the trigger point so the two faces match up smoothly. By doing this it will hold up the engine (your weighted crush bar) without slippng but break cleanly at the trigger point by either the critter hitting it or a string to set it off. If you are using a figure 4 set up it is more comlicated.
    I know what hunts you.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Drive a stob straight up on both sides of your log, or rock so that it cannot shift. That'll hold it over the vertical point of impact. You can also put something solid under your trigger so that it won't sink into the ground when weight is added. It really depends on how your deadfall is set up.. If using a string trigger, the two-stob trick is probably going to be the best bet. As Sarky points out, making sure your mating points match smoothly is a great help, too.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Figure 4, center stick and trigger square them off with a knife, won't slip and holds better for the weight.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What all these polite guys are trying to say is, the answer to your question is;

YES.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The trick is they don't rely on BALANCING the rock or sticks. The trap is help up by the tension on it's parts, so they need to fit pretty closely together, but still be able to trip when desired.
    Keep practicing, it's come to you.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Thanks yall. I will definately try some of these suggestions. Especially the 2 sticks to "prop" the weight up. That has been my problem, Just getting it to stay up and not lean over and fall down