Thread: Fog Collection

Default Fog Collection

I ran across this wiki article and had never heard of collecting water from fog. I was wondering if anyone on here had ever done this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog_collection
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Nope, don't go into the fog... the Vikings were very superstious about the fog. bad things came in the fog. Although to day it makes for great pea soup
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

i live in an are determined to be a very foggy place even if you have fog at 3 i n the morning for an hour it still counts as a foggy day but it would make sense as fog if moisture

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Along the Ohio River we just cut a hunk out of the fog bank at the thickest part and carry it with us. You can use it 'till the sun comes out. Or keep it in the shade to make it last all day.

That's a good point, WV. Few people realize, though, just how heavy fog can be when trying to carry it. Oh, sure, it seems light enough when an entire fog bank rolls in but you just try to cut a piece of it with a knife and see how heavy it gets when it's no longer supported by the rest of the fog. Oh, and be certain to mark the area when you remove the fog. It becomes a bit unstable at that point and we don't want anyone getting hurt by having the fog collapse on them.

One final thought. If you mated a bulldog with a shizu, would it be called bullsh*t?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One final thought. If you mated a bulldog with a shizu, would it be called bull****?[/quote]

Why yes Rick, it would be!

Thanks rick. I never thought of that before.

It does make perfect sense though. I wonder how effective this set up would be for a homestead. Maybe combined with a decent sized cistern.

I imagine that less effort would be required to purify the water for drinking if at all necessary.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

I no longer have the foggiest idea of what you guys are talking about.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Of course I have a collection of fog. Who doesn't? I have some thick fog, thin fog, and even smelly fog.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

The smelly stuff would be smog. You can throw that away. It was made in China and is a counterfeit knockoff.

Sounds like what happens on car windows.

You would need a good think fog to make it any use to you though
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's a good point, WV. Few people realize, though, just how heavy fog can be when trying to carry it. Oh, sure, it seems light enough when an entire fog bank rolls in but you just try to cut a piece of it with a knife and see how heavy it gets when it's no longer supported by the rest of the fog. Oh, and be certain to mark the area when you remove the fog. It becomes a bit unstable at that point and we don't want anyone getting hurt by having the fog collapse on them.

One final thought. If you mated a bulldog with a shizu, would it be called bullsh*t?
    Just build some fog wheels to cart it around. Makes it a bunch easier. I've heard of some of the rich folk using fog butlers. Go figure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The smelly stuff would be smog. You can throw that away. It was made in China and is a counterfeit knockoff.
    Ahhh man, I thought those were real. Well at least I still have my collectors edition Gobi Desert fog.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

You could hang a trash bag, or several, in a fashion that they're opened and do the same thing. It would eliminate the necessity of the trough too. Shoot, regardless of fog, you could use it as a simple dew collector.

Blog Entries

Fog is a cloud in contact with the ground. Fog differs from other clouds only in that fog touches the surface of the Earth. The same cloud that is not fog on lower ground may be fog where it contacts higher ground such as hilltops or mountain ridges. Fog is distinct from mist only in its density. Fog is defined as cloud which reduces visibility to less than 1 km, whereas mist is that which reduces visibility to less than 2 km.
    Or as I like to call it: That thick gray sh*t slowing down traffic, or obscuring my vision when hunting.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

In a foggy survival situation, a plastic bag placed in a "v" shaped position with one end lower than the other and a collection cup under it can give you a fresh drink of water in the morining, which can save your life.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've used plastic bags, a nylon poncho, and palm leaves when I was in the Pacific. Depending on how long the fog stays around the more the water you can collect. It can be a very fast process, collecting a fare amount of water. Normal condensation that may occur any given night as the temperatures drops, will produce a smaller amount of drinkable water but can be relied on more regularly.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

If you have a plastic bag of cold water, wouldn't the fog condense more quickly on that?
    Imagine how much condensation you get from a glass of ice in the desert. (Quite a bit, I saw it myself.)