Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MRE's

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    C-Rats were better IMHO
    That canned goop, The only thing in there good was the one with the sweets
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

A few notes on MREs from some one who has eaten them on and off for the last 15 yrs.

First the heaters are great but there are 2 huge warnings about them. 1 u must use them in well ventilated areas because the gas they put out as they heat is highly flammable. if using the heater as a means of generating additional body heat make sure not to spill any of the water inside the heater on u it can cause a nasty chemical burn.

A few pages back some one was asking if it was one pack per day the answer is no. MREs are designed to be eaten 3 times a day breakfast lunch and dinner however there are designed for soldiers in combat who are burning over 2000 calories a day. Each MRE on the average contains around 1400 calories so you could get by on 2 a day easy if you had to.

Just got done bounce around e-bay looking at the MRE for sale another note is military grade MREs always come in a tan meal bag. If u find ones in green or brown outer bags they are from before 2000 don't buy them they are no good. Aside from that MREs aren't 2 bad i ate them for 30 straight days when we invaded Iraq and they got the job done.
    Last edited by SGTD00m; 04-10-2008 at 12:24 AM.
    Free your mind go insane.

~1400 calories is the minimum. The packages state they contain between 1400 and 3000 calories. So yeah, two a day would definitely work. I did the math one day sitting in the field though, and the MRE package stated it contained like 2600 calories. When I added it up it basically came out that to get the 2600 calories out of it you had to eat the instant coffee, the creamer, the sugar, and probably the cardboard to. So 1400 is probably closer to the truth.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Thats the route I am thinking also,much cheaper to buy a dehydrater and food saver and do it yourslf I think
    I think MREs are a rip off. I agree that doing it yourself is better,

Jjst get a pack of nuts,
    Some dried fruit.
    Some flour... thats your MRE.

I am thinking of getting a dhydrater but I have to find a good deal. and a coupon code.

Mens Club Member cajun swamp hunter's Avatar
    Avery Island, Louisiana as far south as it gets-the marsh

Yep, yall are right they handed out tons of them after Katrina. FVR is right after you eat them for a couple of weeks you can keep them. Do not get take this wrong I still bring MREs for meals when hunting or fishing but its not something you want to live on. Guess what comes in almost evey bag-----yep you guessed it a little bag of tobasco--you can almost eat cardboard with a little of that on it! Oh and by the way if you have a rat problem the omlett meal will do nicely for killing them.

Mens Club Member cajun swamp hunter's Avatar
    Avery Island, Louisiana as far south as it gets-the marsh

I forgot to mention the heaters can make a good fishing tool if you know how to use them.

Don't keep it a secret.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cajun - Fishing with explosives is illegal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Cajun - Fishing with explosives is illegal.
    What A Killjoy !
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I prefer to use dried rice and dried beans and noodles. They are much cheaper and you can spice them the way you want. There is a whole site dedicated to freezer bag cooking. You set up a meal for 1 or 2 people in a freezer bag, add hot water, wait 5 minutes, and eat.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/
    Last edited by bulrush; 05-28-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Question Keeping MRE's in the car

An earlier poster stated that he keeps the MRE's in his car. What temperatures can the MRE's withstand? Wikipedia (MRE) isn't very specific on the subject. Come summer, my Oldmobile packs some heat. You could fry an egg on the roof.
    Actual fact: max. temperature registered in my car 130 in summer 2006. Is that hot or is that hot? Can't be good for long term storage of rations...

I figure I'm going to make my own little "emergency package" containing the basic camping gear (backpack, one-man-tent, change of clothes and a weeks worth rations). That way I can be spontaneous when hunting fever grips me and I need some freedom or when the Missus don't let me home :-)

Be seein' you!

Hank
    *** Walk tall and stand strong! ***

steiger589 - If you scroll down on this link, there is a table of time vs temp. Probably not the ideal food item to store in your vehicle unless you rotate it frequently.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...d3bf93b35ab1d3
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Short of energy bars or something along those lines, I don't store food in my car. The temperature extremes are too much for processed food of any kind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The only food stored in the vehicles are Kashi Go Lean bars. I think they have a shelf life of about 100 years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thumbs up mres

I have purchased several mres from Long Life Food Depot you can buy one or two or buy the case. It is not to expensive and i recieve my order within a few days. I highly recommend the brownies,but i have not bought one yet that i have not like. also i have had mres that are 5 to 7 years old and still taste good. just keep them in a cool dry place and have alot on hand for the unexpected.

ericka

The MRE's do have a pretty good shelf life, but it is reduced with higher temperatures. Welcome to th eforum Erika - when you get a chance head on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's some info on the shelf life of MRE's. http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...l_2007_7882292
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have tried MRE's on several occassions and have been really happy with them, except for the cost. My brother and I have been dehydrating food or using pre-dehydrated foods and vacuum sealing it for some time now and have been amazed with the results. The different types of food you can use is really only limited by your imagination. We both have a reflective bag to place our plastic food bag into, which directs the heat back into itself. We just add hot water, let it sit in bag, and bingo...awesome 10 minute meals of ANY variety in ANY location. And you can't beat the lightweight qualities of this method, even MRE's are nowhere near as light.

Welcome GM. Why not go over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

I like MREs, Apacks, etc. for longer camping trips. They are water efficient so you don't use up what you are carrying just to make a meal. Otherwise, dehydrated is the berries (get it? dehydrated, berries?).

custom user title here

Quote Originally Posted by SGTD00m View Post
    A few pages back some one was asking if it was one pack per day the answer is no. MREs are designed to be eaten 3 times a day breakfast lunch and dinner however there are designed for soldiers in combat who are burning over 2000 calories a day. Each MRE on the average contains around 1400 calories so you could get by on 2 a day easy if you had to.

Just got done bounce around e-bay looking at the MRE for sale another note is military grade MREs always come in a tan meal bag. If u find ones in green or brown outer bags they are from before 2000 don't buy them they are no good. Aside from that MREs aren't 2 bad i ate them for 30 straight days when we invaded Iraq and they got the job done.
    the ones we currently eat are still in the brown outer bag.....secondly mre's are meant to be one a day in a survival situation thus the reason they have 3500 calories. i dont know where you got your info but its not correct.