Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MRE's

Blog Entries

I read all about these MRE's, ya'll can have them. I ate enough c rats and MRE's to last a lifetime. Go ahead, eat them for a week, 3, 4, 5 times a day, you'll see what I mean.

I'll be happy with my rice, tea, buillon, and critter parts.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    80 pounds is equal to bout $160.894 US dollars about $161 for a case not including shipping,wow that seems a little high BUT each pack is a days worth of rations right?
    Its what you might eat in one day + Other stuff like, Hot chocolate, sweets, chewing gum and matches

1 Pack = 1 Man For 24 Hours, Im sure it works that way
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Be careful that you find a good vendor, MRE shelf life really depends on storage conditions. Ask lots of questions before you plunk down your hard earned money.

I have a great vendor that I have bought repeatedly from, 2009 expiration dates, sealed cases and the red dot ont he package that indicates storage conditions is still bright red. The best part is delivered to my door, cost for 2 cases or 24 meals is around $105.

Blog Entries

Cool Military MRE's

I have a bunch of military MRE's that I've purchased locally from a military surplus store. I pay anywhere from $5.00 to $5.50 for a complete sealed pack. Two of these would keep you going for a day. The plus side of these are: a.) the way they're packaged; totally waterproof and moisture-proof. b.) the shelf life. c.) They each contain a heater that is powered by a small amount of water over a chemical in a plastic bag that heats up the entree. I would, however, only use these in an emergency as I don't really care for the taste. Still, it would be better than eating grubs, worms, ants, etc.. SARGE.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have two cases of MRE's in my "emergency" closet. My roommate was in New Orleans during Katrina and when I convinced him to come out here, he brought a few cases with him. They were giving them out like candy. I'd like to pickup another case or two. I was in the Army National Guard so I've learned to like them I guess hehe.
    Survival Skill - Personal Outdoors Survival Blog and Resources
    Nevada Carry - Nevada Concealed Carry Information and Resources

Thumbs up

I have bought mine on Ebay and had excellent results. I got 2 cases (24 meals) delivered to Wisconsin for around $105 bucks. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM and I will get you the name of the seller.

All of the MRE's that I bought are newer 2009 inspection date meals that have been stored properly. You can tell by checking the red storage condition stickers on the cases and don't buy unsealed cases. You can find the good stuff, but you need to be careful and ask the right questions.

I always keep a couple of cases on hand just in case. The nice thing is that they are completely self contained, heater, snacks, main meal and dessert with utensils and accessory packet.

All you need is a little water to activate the heater, some liquid for the drink mix and you are ready to go.

honestl neel it doesn't hurt to have a couple of cases around but my personal prefernce would be to but a dehydrater and make what you want plus the personel satisfaction of doing so.

I purchased a used dehydrater a few weeks ago,although it didnt have the instructions with it,I have been messing around with it with somestuff out of my garden and it seems to work ok,gotta move the trays around a bit from time to time so it all dries at around the same time. Want to get a vaccum sealer also so I can store more of what I dry in less space.I really want to get away from depending on a freezer for storing the major part of what I put away and also the canning part too because I dont have a "root cellar" at this point so with a power outage in the winter I would likely lose my canned goods,I live in a total electric mobile home and insurance keeps us from putting in a wood stove.We have been considering one of those outdoor wood stoves but they are very expensive.I really like the dehydrater though.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I've been playing around with a food dehydrator, I like it a lot, I make some of my own backpacking food with it.

Home dried foods don't have a shelf life like commercially prepared freeze dried food, so to me, home dried, MREs, and freeze dried are three entirely different types of food storage.

MREs are attractive for their completeness, so I think they're a good choice to stuff in a bug out bag, if you get the ones complete with the warming pack you have a complete meal system, containing everything you need for a hot meal. But they are expensive from a food storage point of view, and heavy from a backpacking point of view.

Freeze dried meals are the ones found at walmart, catch them on sale and they get a little cheaper, these have long shelf lives, and are light as a feather, that makes them perfect for backpacking, they taste better than they used to and are getting better all the time, if you walk far enough from the car they get pretty tasty. Even on sale, accumulating enough of them to have a significant food storage would get too expensive, they're another good choice for backpacking or bugout.

Home dried stuff is great, but it won't last forever. I tend to dry the expensive stuff like berries and pineapples, so it's not that cheap for me, and they don't always look right but they always taste better than store bought. I still buy the cheap dried stuff like bananas and apples, I can't make them for as cheap as I can buy them.

If the goal is food storage for home preparedness, I'm of the belief that simple, store bought stuff is the way to go, rice, beans, pasta, and canned meats, fruits, and vegetables. If I don't need to travel with the food, why pay extra to get lighter food? Why pay more for dehydrated food if I'm at home with an adequate water supply?

One guys opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I purchased a used dehydrater a few weeks ago,although it didnt have the instructions with it
    There was only a couple of good pointers in my dehydrator manual, here they are, maybe you've all ready figured these out:

Dip everything in some sort of sugar water, I use pineapple juice, this is supposed to prevent browning from oxidation, it seems to work on everything I've dried, except bananas, which still turn brown.

Since heat rises, the stuff on the top shelves dry faster, load the top with the wetter, thicker pieces, and load the thinner more delicate stuff on the bottom shelves.

That's about it, have fun with that thing! Try some strawberries!

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorbuff View Post
    Think about this if you got a Food Saver you can make big pots of your favorite meals and bag in small meals size, also you would have just as much shelf life as the MRE's.

If you look online you can fine plans to make your own dehydrater yourself.
    Is the Food Saver really that good? I've never tried one. Do you have to keep buying their particular bags (or whatever0?

I've never really had the desire to purchase MRE's. They are too expensive for my frugal (okay cheap) self. I tend to buy cans of hearty stews and soups when I find them on sale, and rotate them regularly.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Blog Entries

My wife purchased a food saver and I must say that it is great. The pro is that when she gets a deal on steaks, we put them in the bags, suck out all the air and they last a very long time without getting freezer burned.

The con is that the bag material is a little exp., but if you look hard enough you can find deals.

We don't use the bags more than once if we use them for meat, but other foods, we wash out the bags and use again.

I think that MREs are kinda expensive compared to the other cheap and easy camping food you can get. (dried noodles, powdered milk, and so on..) One way to get a bunch (not easy or anything) is to join the military, marines preferably... when you are finished, you sometimes have a lot of MREs left over or they give you the rest reserved for you. Of course, this option isn't really probable...
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

Default homegrown

I'm with the "make your own"camp on this one. The amount of effort is negligible, the outcome is tastier and the cost is vastly reduced and there are a lot of things a person can cure or dehydrate for storage with just a little bit of imagination. The big thing to me is....I know what went into the package!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

gotta roast thawing out in the fridge,gonna marianate it in smoke flavoring and salt and then try it out in the dehydrater,just wish I had the directions so I know I am not making any errors on this one LOL looks like I get to try the first peice!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Default Nell...I'm crushed

You're not gonna try mine or Rusty's advi ce from the curing meat thread?...

some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

yea,thats my next project LOL I am playing around with the dehydrater right now to see how well it is going work ,thats why I get the first taste...if it didnt work out well???????? YOu can send condolences to my hubby LOL!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I used a dehydrater to make dryed fruit but it went off in the thing, now everything that comes out tastes like raisens
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Default Hey Nell

How did it work out with the roast? Family still talking to you?

The roast worked out good,the family loves it and cannot wait for me to do it again,now I need some deer meat LOL.They could definately live on jerky.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)