Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: MRE's

I got an army surplus guy that I frequant a lot. I'm probably his best customer

Anyway I can get a days worth of meals for about $5.25 but I can also make things myself.

I'm not big on the MRE thing. I'm only here because I like the outdoors.

I have 3 cases. Too many hurricanes in Florida.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I recently prchased a case, which contains 12 mre's from an army base in Alabama. It cost me $92. I like to bring one with me everytime I go into the wild for more then a day just in case. I rarely have to eat them lol, but they are good

You can gather similar stuff and create your own. The main “cost” to the DIY MRE is the Microwave Completes meal, the rest of the “ingredients” average $.04 each per meal, less if you can buy them in bulk or on sale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheZombieHunter View Post
    You can gather similar stuff and create your own. The main “cost” to the DIY MRE is the Microwave Completes meal, the rest of the “ingredients” average $.04 each per meal, less if you can buy them in bulk or on sale.
    Why only a "Microwaves Complete" meal when there are so many alternatives today? Think about all of the warming-optional foods sold in supermarkets that now come in pouches. Tuna, Chicken, Salmon........... Most have shelf lives of several years.

Also - Many of us dehydrate and vacuum seal foods that are outstanding for home-made MREs.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Spot on Ken. All of the foods you pictured are in fact packed exactly like MREs. Retort pouches, no refrigeration required, ready to eat, long shelf life. At far less cost

I worked for an outdoor school and we used to tell our students that MRE's were three lies in one
    They are not a meal, they are not ready and they are not edible.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.

I guess it depends how hungry you are or what is available.
    If our service guys can eat them, I can as well...if I need to.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Retorted food pouches ready for market push

Knauss and Esskay introduce foods in retorted pouches without foil for retail. StarKist Seafood sells a foil-based pouch of tuna to foodservice accounts. Will others follow suit?

I just read that as:

Reported food pouches ready for pocket mush

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfrog View Post
    I worked for an outdoor school and we used to tell our students that MRE's were three lies in one
    They are not a meal, they are not ready and they are not edible.
    I ate them at least 50% of the time for a year. I would take them over McDonald's any day. Interestingly, the only ones that I found that didn't like them were the ones that didn't like the normal chow hall and would skip a free chow hall meal to pay for McDonald's.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Same with me. A lot of times they'd be better then the idiot cooks "food". How do you mess up cooking rice and corn dogs...

I loved them, especially those cold weather ones. Those were filling. The only thing I found to not like in an MRE was rice pilaf. Everything else I fully enjoyed.

Still never bought any because of the price. One cool thing is my local base (Travis AFB) sells each part individually. They sell entrees, snacks, etc..
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 03-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.

I have a couple friends who were "spoons". Most of the ones I knew didn't "cook" anything. They just heated up the stuff in the big packages. Basically an MRE for 50 people.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Yeah. These were packaged corn dogs. Heat and serve. Wtf over. Why is my rice still crunchy and my Corndog half frozen. I've been on foot for a week sleeping in dirt tired and cranky and you're too busy playing on your iPod to fully heat anything. You had one job sir, one job...

I keep a couple cases of MREs around, and I might pack some MREs with me if I'm going on an extended expedition. One thing I don't like about them is the lack of fiber constipates the heck out of me. I need something to keep stuff moving through the intestinal track. They are also bland and should only be eaten in emergencies as MREs are not food, they are wood chips and cardboard. You can make your own MRE substitutes that are better for you, taste better and don't clog up the intestinal track. I know a girl that can do this well. If need be, I can rustle up some receipts.

I actually enjoy MRE's even though I ate them by force. Well it wasn't force but there was nothing else to eat.

I have 5 cases but I got them when the gettin was good.

I agree with ken.

If you are hard up for MRE's try to find the meal packages rather than the complete package. There is allot of redundancy in those packages ie.. Tp , salt, pepper, sugar, coffee, Tabasco and drink mixes. Those thing all add up the cost.

Just out of curiosity, what's a days worth of MRE's? Three? One is a days worth of calories. You may be used to eating more volume but an MRE is a desperate times type of meal. Most desperate times don't consist of three squares a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad picks up MREs from the local Army Surplus store in town. We use them for camping trips or I use them when I go out into the woods by myself for backup. Alternatively, you can purchase them on eBay.

I too enjoy MREs. I really like the drink mixes. I just think they are too expensive when there are so many alternatives. I can't say I've ever had a problem with them. One meal is an all day thing for me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I too enjoy MREs. I really like the drink mixes. I just think they are too expensive when there are so many alternatives. I can't say I've ever had a problem with them. One meal is an all day thing for me.
    I'm pretty sure they never expire. We ate ones I'm pretty sure were from the civil war and they were fine besides some ingredients separating.

I hope I never see another MRE in my life