Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: MRE's

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Sniper View Post
    Also they are designed to constipate, so soldiers in combat do not need a restroom break very often while the bullets are flying. Really no joke!

Hmm well I don't know about that, I've heard of the problem second hand but I can't say I know anyone personally that have experienced it.

I had one years ago that made me throw up though....

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Not Me !

Also they are designed to constipate, so soldiers in combat do not need a restroom break very often while the bullets are flying. Really no joke!
    If and a big IF I get to the point I have to eat one I can guarantee I may pucker but sure won't constipate. Bring back the C goodies !
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

MRE's have a low fiber content. That may be why some have a lack of "movement".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It should be stated that civilian MRE equivalent meals do not have the same calorie count found in a regular MRE. While you can survive on less calories, you will welcome the extra calories to perform all the tasks necessary in a survival situation.

That's close but not entirely accurate. MRE's are meant for "Bare Base" consumption where a Mess Hall or DFAC is not yet established. That being said, water is most likely still being cleaned and filtered using a ROPU (Reverse Osmosis Purification Unit) which uses chlorine among other chemicals to purify. Water from a ROPU will give you the runs so the Military made MRE's in such a way to help equal things out. Basically MRE"s that constipate and water that gives the runs taken together make you regular.
    Last edited by doug1980; 12-28-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

I have eaten/ been issued/ K rations assualt pack. C-rations and LRRP rations.

The K ratios came with a full pack (20) of smokes, a Hugh Tootie Roll and some *stuff that disolved in water.

* field ration D: to be eaten slowly (in about half an hour). Can be dissolved by crumbling into a cup of boiling water, if desired as a beverage. Ingredients: chocolate, sugar, skim milk powder, cocoa fat, oat flour, artificial flavoring, C. 45mg, Vitamin B (Thiamin Hydrochloride :-(

The assualt ration was a smaller packaged unit of the standard "k" ration

C rations. Beanee & weanees and meatball /spaghetti were the best, Ham & lima's were the worst. I never ever seen any meatloaf or Tuna. the Army must of gotten those.

http://gruntfixer.homestead.com/files/crats.html

The LRRP meals were good with Chile con carne and beef hash being the best. The USMC comschawed them from the Army when we could.

http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/10118479

I have not tried any of issued MRE's
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Retired Old Man

Default MRE vs Pantry items

Every time I contemplate ordering MRE's I always figure that I can shop around and put together more food for less money.

I'm sure the prepared kits are easier to transport in a grab it & go situation, but I'm more concerned about having plenty of supplies on hand at home. I'm also a cheapskate.

Generally, I can stock up on non-perishables at Walmart & Aldi for a fraction of the costs of professionally packed meals. Making the lists and procuring the goods is often somewhat challenging and fun.

Being retired, I have plenty of time to shop around for deals and put together boxes of foods that I know I like. (I do steal ideas from the military and professional suppliers.)

Home canning has my pantry well stocked with vegetables, and I browse weekly sales for items I can't (or don't) can myself. Nuts, fruits, candy, tuna, and other items usually have pretty good shelf lives and stock can be rotated.

Dried beans can be prepared and canned (any time of year). Folks think I'm nuts for canning food that keeps in its dried state, but having a 16 oz jar of pintos ready to heat & eat is very convenient. I can't stand having empty mason jars sitting around very long.

Good info Ricm123 (hey, you have the same last name as me) How about cooking on over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Retired Old Man

Default introduction section?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Good info Ricm123 (hey, you have the same last name as me) How about cooking on over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.
    I've done that in the "About Me" section. My profile should be up to date.

I don't see an introduction section ?

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I also found MRE's expensive, I did find Life Caps and have tried them them keep hunger at bay , provide the nutrients needed so that in an emergency you can concentrate on getting rescued or building shelter etc.. Its calle Life Capsd and is a survical Pill that fits in your pocket or anywhere. I would like to see other people try it also and place comments. I found the best place to get Life Caps is thier web Sit http:www.lifecaps.net and use the coupon code Go Caps and you will save 33%.,

Hmmmm. Vitamins or food.......I'll go with food. Hey, since you'r not busy eating - how about heading over to the Introduction section and tell us about yourself. Do you sell these vitamin pills?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just ordered a case of APack meals to change out the food in my big BOB. I also like to take them camping with me. The meals are good and come out to less than $6.00, which is pretty cheap considering everything that's in them. I don't store them in the pantry but they are a lot handier in the BOB.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick - where do you get you APacks?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

http://www.readymeal.com/

They make MREs for the government and the APacks are the civilian version.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks like they're a couple of bucks cheaper than the MRE's I've purchased. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think it comes out to 5.83 or something like that. Then you add shipping. I can do one of the meals a day for two or three days depending on how strenuous travel is. Then I have to break in to two of them to up the calories. If you carry something like jerky or trail bars then one a day is about all I need.

C rats.....Green ham and eggs yum yum!
    I know what hunts you.

C rats.....Green ham and eggs yum yum!
    Ok, you can have the Ham & Lima's for dessert.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

3-pack of Lucky Strikes and a couple of Chicklets were often the most edible things in the C-Rations.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-03-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel