Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canned bread....B&M

a potential source for this and any other canned bread products would be the food and grocyery section at amazon. often a good place to get cases of all sorts of storage stable goods. I almost bought a big case of 3 in 1 instant coffee packages and nutella a while back.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Default On a side note

I was checking out the ingredients in Pilot bread and they're not great.

Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Leavening (sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate), Salt

Now in a SHTF scenario, the ingredients are gonna be the least of your problems but if you eat it regularly, just be aware. This stuff isn't good for you.

Can't find yet what's in canned bread.

Hey! That's some of my favorites. Sweets and Preservatives...the two basic food groups. Yeah, baby.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Contrary to popular belief, Sweets & Preservatives don't make you sweet or preserve you for long.

The ingrediants in B&M plain Brown bread are:

Water
    Whole Wheat flour
    Molasses
    Dextrose
    Rye flour
    whey
    degermed yellow corn meal
    Baking soda
    Buttermilk
    salt
    Corn oil

8 servings in a can (1/2" slices)
    130 calories 5 from fat.
    total fat .5g
    sodium 400mg
    Total carbs 29g
    -Dietary fiber 2 g
    -Sugars 15g
    protein 3g
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 6%
    Everything else is zero.

Damn. Now I gotta open this can and have it for breakfast...
    Last edited by LowKey; 06-22-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I was checking out the ingredients in Pilot bread and they're not great.

Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Leavening (sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate), Salt

Now in a SHTF scenario, the ingredients are gonna be the least of your problems but if you eat it regularly, just be aware. This stuff isn't good for you.

Can't find yet what's in canned bread.
    I have always found it shocking that 100% of the people who work in "Health Food" Stores look like they have been dead for about two weeks. Must be some sick criteria for employment.

SD: it's because the stuff is so expensive they can barely afford to eat
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

B: i'm not sure what the problem is with the thiamine mononitrate enrichment. thiamine and niacin are essential for human life and an intake at or above the RDA has been shown to help prevent multiple diseases.

and the milling of many flour removes much of the naturally occurring levels of these vitamins from the grain and the US requires enrichment with these for processed flour by law for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    B: i'm not sure what the problem is with the thiamine mononitrate enrichment. thiamine and niacin are essential for human life and an intake at or above the RDA has been shown to help prevent multiple diseases.

and the milling of many flour removes much of the naturally occurring levels of these vitamins from the grain and the US requires enrichment with these for processed flour by law for this reason.
    That's why when the labels say "bleached, enriched flour" those breads contain refined carbs that you want to avoid. Look for whole grains that naturally contain fiber, vitamins and minerals whereas in refined breads the fiber is taken out and synthetic nutrients added back in.
    Complex carbs keep your blood sugar steady and you feel fuller longer; refined carbs (junk food) cause highs and lows that often lead you to eat more sooner. I'd think in a survival situation that's exactly what I wouldn't want to happen nor could afford to happen.

I thought you might be taking offense at the word 'nitrate'...

You can't make the assumption of the presence of refined carbs based on the appearance of Bleached or Enriched Flour in the ingredients list on any given product.

Actually, it's not an assumption LK, it's what it means.
    I can provide references from gazillion sources for anyone who really cares.

A really good article from a credible source explains the whole thing. There's even a diagram!
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-grains/NU00204

"Whole grains haven't had their bran and germ removed by milling, making them good sources of fiber — the part of plant-based foods that your body doesn't digest. Among many health benefits, high-fiber foods also tend to make you feel full longer.
    Refined grains, such as white rice or white flour, have both the bran and germ removed from the grain. Although vitamins and minerals are added back into refined grains after the milling process, they still don't have as many nutrients as whole grains do, and they don't provide as much fiber naturally."

from a given grain we are looking at the very same carbohydrates, regardless of the processing of the bread. the difference is in those constituents the refined flour no longer has. here we seemed to be discussing those which have been added back to the flour in recognition that they are a dietary and health maintenance requirement, which is at least a useful measure of foresight.

we both know that whole grains are a better choice, but those are both considerably more costly (a sad irony; that it costs more to buy a product with less cost of production) and less common. for an example; let me know when you find a truly whole grain canned bread product, and then let me know if you can find it for less that $5 per can.

Default If cost is the only issue...

How about buying whole grain in bulk and finding a way to make your own longer lasting bread product without all the additives? That's not such a tall order, is it?
    It's been done by native people all over the world including right here.

I like that idea quite a lot B.

Knowing how to make your own bread (in varied cooking conditions) is a good skill to have and one that will not only serve you well today, but during lean times as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oops, sorry. My misinterpretation of what you meant by 'refined carbs'. For some reason I always think sugars, not flour/grain.

I made 100% whole wheat bread today for the first time. Bought the little bag of $4 organic whole wheat flour a few weeks ago but just got around to trying it. Gawd, it's awful tasting stuff. And I like whole wheat products. Not sure I could ever get used to this, even in a pinch. It rose ok both in the bowl and in the pans (which surprised the heck out of me) but flattened like a pancake in the oven. Looks like two rather large bricks—and about as tasty. Gonna be some expensive bird food. Looking around for a new recipe if anyone has one. This one started with scalded milk, water, butter, salt and yeast then used honey and molasses instead of sugar, and no white flour at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Looking around for a new recipe if anyone has one. This one started with scalded milk, water, butter, salt and yeast then used honey and molasses instead of sugar, and no white flour at all.
    LK, I've made this bread 2 years ago and it was delicious. (Quinoa is a staple at our home and it's a wondergrain.) I like the fact that you don't need a mixer or a bread machine for it. The reason I don't make it more often is that we tend to polish it quickly while still warm, and calories are calories even when healthy.
    I got the recipe here:
    http://chefinyou.com/2010/04/quinoa-bread-recipe/

The only substitute I made was:
    1/4 cup Soy milk (instead of real milk)
    1/4 cup safflower oil (recipe calls for vegetable oil)
    No sourdough starter (didn't have it, didn't want to look for it)
    Added 1 tsp of sea salt

My very first post here was asking about making bread dough right in a flour sack....Using a bowl shaped indentation in the flour to mix it in.
    Saw it in a recipe book written by Bradford Angier, I thought........Still haven't found it.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-23-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Soy Milk!? Cough, sputter, choke, hack, spit! Whew. That's like soy bacon. Blasphemous. Cow=Milk. Pig=Bacon. Do not try to change what the Lord put together. That's like asking for a SHTF situation. I need to delete some posts in this thread just to get the world spinning correctly again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.