Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canned bread....B&M

Default Canned bread....B&M

This looked good to me, so I'm waiting on a case, to give a try.
    http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=141

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Anyone tried it yet?
    Shelf life?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

B&M?

Banned
    Blog Entries

40 years ago I took several case with me for part of winter supplies. It has a strong taste, of molasses. It is quite good with cream cheese on it. It is on store shelves here.

It is good. I have some in storage at the moment. I've eaten several cans of it here at home and while out camping. Of course, it tastes a lot better out camping for some reason.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I love the stuff, slice it put it in the toaster with butter or cream cheese. Haven't had any in a while, going to the store later, and will need to pick some up. Great with beans and franks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It is good. I have some in storage at the moment. I've eaten several cans of it here at home and while out camping. Of course, it tastes a lot better out camping for some reason.
    Everything taste better when camping.......LOL

Oh, the cream cheese on that bread is GGRREEAATT!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    I love the stuff, slice it put it in the toaster with butter or cream cheese. Haven't had any in a while, going to the store later, and will need to pick some up. Great with beans and franks as well.
    It's a Maine staple. Brown bread and beans...good stuff!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I use it camping. Lightly buttered then grilled like a grilled cheese sandwich. Then spread with cream cheese.

I never eat it at home. LOL

-Mert
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

I love B&M Brown Bread with raisins.

Definitely a staple around here. It's more of a molasses cake (like gingerbread but with a grainy wheat-bran like texture). It's great warmed with melted butter on top or it can be good as a dessert warmed with whip cream on top.
    I keep about a case of it around, although you do get tired of it.
    Don't buy it from Vt Country Store. They want more than 4x what it really costs. I stock up when it's about $1.69 per can or very occasionally 2 for $3.

Cooked raisins...blech!

When I was in Maine it along with their baked Kidney beans was a staple. Being out on the left coast now, the best I can do is special order it direct from B&M. Hell, the factory was just down the road, south of FreePort and north of Portland.
    I know what hunts you.

Maybe someone has a more recent can than me. Mine were purchased in 2009 and they are stamped with a Best Used by Oct. 20, 2011 on top the can. I'm sure it will be good well beyond that date but their site doesn't provide any specifics. By the way, the Brown Bread also comes with raisins (Mmmmm).

"Q. What is the shelf life after best used by date?

A. Once a product is opened and exposed to light, contaminants in the air, and temperature changes we cannot be absolutely certain for how long a product would be of quality as when it was first filled.

There is no exact answer to this question, too many variables.
    Once opened considering where and how long a product has been exposed to light, heat, various room temperatures as well as the actual refrigeration temperature or storage conditions and when it is stored would determine how long it could still be safe to use.

But again even if you never opened a product it will automatically age.

(Provided the packaging has not been compromised). It does not mean you cannot use the product just that it is not at the same quality as when filled."

Source: http://www.bgfoods.com/int_faq.asp
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have had this a few times, was good with butter. Has anyone ever heard of a similar white / wheat bread product in a can? I tryed googling without success
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I am not aware of any canned (wheat/white) bread producers in the U.S. There are several varieties made in Japan, however.

http://www.nasuinfo.or.jp/FreeSpace/...ish/CASE1.html

http://www.nasuinfo.or.jp/FreeSpace/...ish/index.html

If you have an oriental market near you and you REALLY want to try some you might ask if they have it. I'll skip the Green Tea Bread but thanks just the same.

I had seen them. Seems strange that there is not just "regular" bread in a can. Guess there just isn't enough demand
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Given the chemical process that yeast requires and the room it needs to expand that might be part of the reason. Molasses based breads don't expand nearly as much. My mom, my MIL and my wife have all baked brown bread and pumpkin bread in cans (not canned but used cans as the baking vessel) and they don't seem to rise very much. It's a much denser bread.

I had looked on the store shelves here, and didn't find any, asked the store guy, and got a vacant shrug, so I ordered a case. See link above.
    I got an e-mail today telling me that shipping date is gonna be 7/7/11, after the recent production run....apparently is is produce on a part time basis, maybe?

Seems I remember MRE Depot discussing canned bread and the logistics of it. I can't find the reference though.
    I'd think you'd have to bake it first though, then can it.

Quite honestly, I don't think I've ever looked at the date on the B&M stuff. It rotates out pretty fast though.

Looks like Survival Kitty has a preference.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel