Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, "Short action" Best centerfire cartridge.....?????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default OK, "Short action" Best centerfire cartridge.....?????

NO "Standard action" cartridges, and NO long Action cartridges. (Please No fighting) But what is your choice of the single best "Short Action" Cartridge........????

Well I shot my ole .22 German made junk .22 revolver tonight...Testing it for the gator hunt. I dissassembled cleaned blued and painted it last night. I am very happy after weldng, grinding, and making my own leaf springs for it. Playing with some glow sights now. Oops...missed the centerfire requirement.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 06-17-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

7mm-08 is very good, I like the .243 also.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

7mm-08, .243, .308 Really depends upon what I am doing with it.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Banned
    Blog Entries

Two of my favorites are .257 Bob & 7X57 (OK & the .284 Winchester). The truth is I just love the short action cartridges.

.300 WSSM,..... For when something really needs to die.....Way over there.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I vote for the 308
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Two of my favorites are .257 Bob & 7X57 (OK & the .284 Winchester). The truth is I just love the short action cartridges.
    I really like the .284. Really, really HATE the Winchester 100 (my very first hunting rifle).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

The 257 Roberts is a great round, so is the 6mm Rem but my favorite is still the plain old 308.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Is 7.62 x 54R short action?

How about 7.5 x 55 Swiss?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I guess I'll show my lack of knowledge when it comes to firearms......what are the main differences and the advantages/disadvantages of each (excluding length of course).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i would love to have a long action 308 built
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I guess I'll show my lack of knowledge when it comes to firearms......what are the main differences and the advantages/disadvantages of each (excluding length of course).
    Not sure what your asking........Hopefully the difference in short action, Standard action, or Long action. As this would be answerable. To answer what is the difference in the cartridges, would require several 2" thick books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Things get muddy with action/cartridge length. 7x57 mauser is considered a short action round and is as long as a 30-06 which is a long action round by all counts.

It used to be detirmined by action diameter, espically with the Mauser. They had 3 action sizes:

magnum= .300 H&H, .375 H&H length rifles.

Large ring= 8mm, 06 length rounds

small ring= 7x57, 6.5 swiss, .257 Roberts

The difference in the ring sizes of the receiver gave about a pound of weight saving between sizes of the barreled actions.

Winchester and Remington decided to call them magnum, long and short.

magnum actions=.300, .338, 7mm mag

Long actions= 30-06 size

Short action= .308, .243, .223

Then Sako and Ruger come out with a super shorty chambered in 7.62x39, .44mag, .223

In addition there are no rules between mfgs. Some put everything on a long action, like Savage. Some offer one cartridge as short action and another company will offer the same cartridge in what they call a medium action.

What really gets to you is when you order a gun in a cartridge that you thought would be a short/medium action and they send it in a long action that is 1/2" longer and weighs a pound more.

Advantages/disadvantages;
    An action properly sized for the cartridge will feed more reliably. There will be less shifting of rounds in the magazine. There will be no unnecessary bolt travel. Weight will be less as well as length.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-20-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not sure what your asking........Hopefully the difference in short action, Standard action, or Long action. As this would be answerable. To answer what is the difference in the cartridges, would require several 2" thick books.
    Yes - this is exactly what I'm asking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's probably the best expansion I have ever heard...generally you only hear part of it and still end up wondering.
    Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not much your average hunter in North America can't do with a .308. A 7mm-08 is probably one of the most balanced cartriages ever created and flat out kills with the best of them. Truth is either is near perfect for all but the largest of game IMO. I've hunted with a few .308's over the years and never wanted or needed "more" gun. They did exactly what was expected.....Kill deer and hogs cleanly and efficiently. I love my 30-06 but if I had to replace it, One of these two chamberings could very likely claim the role.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Kyratshooter explained things well but left out an important point. A short action is in theory more accurate than a long action becuase there is less "deviation/oscillation" of the action upon discharging the weapon. Long explantion made short is that a short action is "stiffer" than a long action. Less movement = more accurate (IN THEORY). Only the world's best shooters, shooting the worlds most accurate rifles could ever see even a miniscule difference in reality.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Things get muddy with action/cartridge length.
    Very good explanation, more gooooder that I would have done. Rep point sent.