Thread: What is your favorite fire build?

Default What is your favorite fire build?

Mine has got to be the teepee. I think it's easy to make with a pile of dead grass, starting off making a teepee with 2 inch sticks, increasing up to a foot long.
    One mistake I made with this fire was making one out of about 20, 3 inch long sticks. I thought this would burn for about 10 minutes but it must've burned out in less than 5 minutes. Also, this is a very easy form of fire to light. I never really tried any others than a pile of logs.

The split wood fire is by far my favorite.
    I'll make about a hatfull of shavings/feathersticks, a full 2 handfulls of pencil lead thick kindling, another 2 handfulls of pencil thick kindling and then a whole lotta actual wood.
    I'll put it all on the flame in that order.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Depends on where I'm at & what I might want/need it for. Situation dictates type.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The kind of fire you build is dependent upon what your need is. Here's a write up I did some time back.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=vertical+fire

EDIT: Sorry Sarge, I was typing when you posted.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

One quart diesel fuel + One pint gasoline + a few liberal democrats + one match = Cazzooooom

I like the leaning tipi......fair sized log laid down, splits and sticks set against it on both sides of the front -/-\-, the build your tipi in the crotch.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I usually use a 3 sided log cabin type. It lets in adequate air and has easy access to the center.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I throw mine in pile all facing the same direction.

Blog Entries

Depends on the scenario. Trekking, vous and hunting will usually be a tipi style with a backing to direct the heat.
    Now a backyard fire, just pile up the wood, get a cup of gas, stand back and toss a match and whoosh. No mess, no headaches.

I start nearly every fire with a teepee, after it is established, it will depend on what I need it for as to how I continue to feed it. More air, more heat (and less burn time with the wood) Less air...well ,you get the idea.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    One quart diesel fuel + One pint gasoline + a few liberal democrats + one match = Cazzooooom
    I have found that I have to light this fire with a propane torch, espically if union members are present. The hot air blows out the matches and you can't get anything to work without added incinitives.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I start with a teepee for water or just a quick lunch, then if I am staying it progresses into a star, so I can burn larger logs in half without cutting them, then it eventually becomes a parallel lay which is nice for a big bed of coals and long term hea, that's only if I'm staying overnight.

I don't claim to be an expert. I grew up in a very remote area a LOT of years ago and have built countless outdoor fires. I never paid any particulat attention to the shape of the fire. Firstly, haul up a goodly supply of wood of various sizes if available. start with bark, dry grass or anything available, place some thin ahavings on top of that and some small limbs on to p of that. Once thats burning add some larger stuff. No problem if you can get dry wood.

I'll have to agree with sarge you cant rely on just one. BUT, having that said, I really like the dakota hole for cooking and when you don't want alot of smoke.

Log cabin on top of 2 large (4 inch dia) logs
    I know what hunts you.