Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when your out in the woods?

Default What do you do when your out in the woods?

Well I was out again this evening and decided that I was going to work on my bow drill instead of fishing. Anyway, I have about a half section of land that I have permission to be on but I usually stick to an area that's only about an acre or so at a time.

The area that I pick tonight was fairly dense trees, probably 150 feet next to a creek. I gather tinder. I made my bow, spindle, and push block. I noticed right away that my spindle didn't seem completely dry, even though it was dead for a long time and I broke it off a dead branch that was suspended off the ground.

To make a long story short I didn't get a fire going because everything was damp. I could have walked to a different area (higher, in the wind, and the sun) but I decided to keep at it were I was. Obviously I was in no immediate need of fire so I decided just to stay in that area and see what I could come up with.

So this leads to my question. Do you seek that best and easiest area or do you challenge yourself a little? Why?

Sorry it was long. Thanks

Flatlander

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander88 View Post
    So this leads to my question. Do you seek that best and easiest area or do you challenge yourself a little? Why?
    I could take the easy beer off of the top shelf, but NO I bend all the way over and fetch a beer off the bottom shelf. It is part of my fitness program.

Must have been covered before.
    Last edited by flatlander88; 06-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.

I like to simply observe. Either I am walking around looking at stuff, or sitting and seeing what comes my way.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I could take the easy beer off of the top shelf, but NO I bend all the way over and fetch a beer off the bottom shelf. It is part of my fitness program.

I am not trying to get kicked off of this forum, there is a lot of great information here, but I was only trying to get some feed back on how others approach practicing different methods. I realize that some of you can walk into the woods and light a fire, catch a fish, build a shelter, etc. in your sleep and that's fine. I however, cannot. I've been attending primitive skills camps, when there available but mostly I depend on the internet to help me gain information. I know others on here have limited skill levels and if they want to have a discussion that's great for me.

I've always spent a great deal of time in the outdoors. I hunt, fish, camp, trap, hike, etc. every year, (all year; time permitting), but we all know it takes less skill and less thought to do these things with modern equipment compared to having limited resources. Not only do I find primitive skills interesting I am pretty sure it could serve me well if I ever get turned around on a mountain top or end up staying the night during an elk hunt. I am not talking about running off in the woods with a knife and a match and trying to "survive", I am talking about actually learning some useful information.

I am sorry if this has been said a million times but I am just asking for a little decent feedback. I do read through post here all the time, I do search for specific topics, if one of my questions has been covered send me a link. It's the information I am looking for not the attention.

Thanks for you help and understanding
    Flatlander
    Last edited by flatlander88; 06-15-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I like to simply observe. Either I am walking around looking at stuff, or sitting and seeing what comes my way.
    Thanks, you must have posted during the typing of my little diatribe.

Are you asking if we search out the best area for a camp or just to hang out for the day?

If I'm looking to set up camp I try to find a spot with southern exposure in the winter and northern exposure in the summer. Stuff will be drier on a southern exposure as well, so finding dry materials for a bow drill might be easier.

Otherwise I just set up wherever and make due with what's immediately available. I wouldn't pick a camp just because it has good bow drill wood. I would set up camp and then walk to the other areas as needed. I've camped below the frostline in spring and fall, sometimes you have no choice, and sometimes it just makes more sense. Camp below the frostline or camp on a slope, your choice. If I'm fishing on a river I camp right there, and it's usually below the frostline and usually damp. But, it's better than setting up camp way up on a hill and having to constantly walk back and forth.

If I'm just out for the day I try to find a spot sheltered from the wind and that's about it. As far as the bow drill or friction fire in general the materials have to be bone dry, otherwise it's more than a challenge, it's pretty near impossible. Here in Michigan with cold wet winters, springs and falls, and hot humid summers finding friction fire materials to use on spot is difficult. If the humidity is over 65% or so, it's pretty close to impossible. I can go out in the woods with a knife and rope and start fire, but if the humidity is up or you add rain and snow to the mix it's a struggle, and usually ends in frustration.

Most of my outdoors time is focused around hunting, gathering, and fishing, so I have to go where the food is, most times it's not in what most experts tell you is a good camping area. One thing I do look for is a spot where the rain won't run down in and pool up, and where the wind won't wreak havoc on whatever I'm doing, other than that I just set up wherever is closest to whatever I'm doing.

May time out doors generally has a purpose, hunting, fishing, gathering, or even cutting/collecting wood or what ever.

Opportunities present themselves, I try to take advantage of them but would never try to make this hard on my self.
    Challenge my self?.....not usually, but do have a good idea what I would like to try, practice, find, gather, see or even hear.

Do you think that maybe you are putting too much pressure on your self?

I was trying to start a fire with a bow drill at Rendezvous....wasn't having any luck, getting frustrated, so stopped for a break.... took match (lucifer) out of my bag and lite up a smoke.......Young kid watching me says, "Why don't you just light that fire with the match"? Told him, "Maybe some day I'll run out of matches".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

[QUOTE=rwc1969;300356]Are you asking if we search out the best area for a camp or just to hang out for the day?

I was originally asking about practicing different skills, even if it is a quick run down to the creek after work. What I have been doing was just picking an area and trying to make a fire, fish, etc. only in that area to get myself used to different conditions, even if another area is better for what I need it for. I was asking to see if others do the same or something different. But I'll take all the info I can get.

Thanks for the info regarding camping. We had a storm rolling in while I was out yesterday and the humidity was very high. Are there places to look for completely dry wood during high humidity?

Hunter63 - I am not really approaching this with the mentality of "I have to get a fire going or else". I simply am trying to experience some of the pleasures and difficulties first hand. I've been pretty successful in making fires with a bow drill (by far not and expert) but those are in controlled conditions, backyard with already homemade equipment.

Fishing is a whole different story. I've had the fish hit my hooks and bend the pole but never a catch. I've recently gain some info on another thread that I hope to try this weekend. Even when I fish, I pick a small area that has fish and stick to that area. I find my pole, bait, weight, hook, etc all in that area; it makes me think a little harder about what I can use.

I guess in some way what I am asking is this a good approach to practicing?
    Last edited by flatlander88; 06-15-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Flatlander,there's a video on youtube perhaps in the Pathfinder School that has Dave Canterbury doing just what you mentioned.
    He only searched a section of his property,and that's like 6 aces,for a fire bow set.He literally had like 10 spindles and fire boards.
    And I'm still not sure if he got fire.I think the title of the video is (fire bow failure).
    I watch for areas that have suitable woods that will work for a set.
    In my area that happens to be mostly cottonwood.I also take note as to where Mullein and grows for hand drills.

I guess in some way what I am asking is this a good approach to practicing?
    I think it's just fine, you know what works best for you, better than anyone else.
    Seems like everyone is just trying to see where you are coming from.....?

Using a "This is all I have to work with, let's see what happens", is probably the best way to find out what doesn't work, which in it's self, is a lesson...Don't waste your time on stuff that doesn't work, and continue to work on what does.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I always try to make things easy but that often means pushing yourself now because the task will only be harder later.

I try to learn the basic knowledge at the root of things and figure the rest out as I go. When I see better ways I don't think about where to learn it, I ask myself why I didn't think of that. So much of it is just common sense.

Well I was out again this evening and decided that I was going to work on my bow drill instead of fishing. Anyway, I have about a half section of land that I have permission to be on but I usually stick to an area that's only about an acre or so at a time.

The area that I pick tonight was fairly dense trees, probably 150 feet next to a creek. I gather tinder. I made my bow, spindle, and push block. I noticed right away that my spindle didn't seem completely dry, even though it was dead for a long time and I broke it off a dead branch that was suspended off the ground.

To make a long story short I didn't get a fire going because everything was damp. I could have walked to a different area (higher, in the wind, and the sun) but I decided to keep at it were I was. Obviously I was in no immediate need of fire so I decided just to stay in that area and see what I could come up with.

Sorry it was long. Thanks

Flatlander
    I have done exactly what you described. I have picked several areas near my house for practice and even an overnighter here and there. Just a random thing both in the Summer and Winter. Sometimes I was able to get fire and sometimes I wasn't. I don't really use the primative methods, but wanted to try out my modern gear just the same. Sometimes you just have to pull yourself away from the computer and practice. The more realistic and challenging you make it the better prepared you will be.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

I think it's just fine, you know what works best for you, better than anyone else.
    This I am not so sure about. I've only been practicing primitive skills for about 2 years. There are things that I wouldn't even begin to know yet, and this includes some of the best ways to gain knowledge about the outdoors. I am more than willing to try any (reasonable) suggestion to learn on my own.

Seems like everyone is just trying to see where you are coming from.....?
    I am an outdoor enthusiast and take a genuine interest learning all I can about it. I've always had an open mind, especially when it comes to the outdoors. As long as I can remember I've always been interested in new things about hunting, fishing, etc. Only recently have my interest taken a more primitive liking.

Believe me when I tell everyone Thanks, because I really do appreciate it.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-15-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Using a "This is all I have to work with, let's see what happens", is probably the best way to find out what doesn't work, which in it's self, is a lesson...Don't waste your time on stuff that doesn't work, and continue to work on what does.

My sentiments exactly. It could be having been raised on a homestead or just being dirt poor but this is how I think. You want to do this and this is what you have to do it with. I never let not knowing how to do something stop me from doing it. It is a thinking process that most seem to want to skip and just have the answer handed to them at the same time ignoring the fundamental thought process. A person would have to be some kind of genius to have memorized all the solutions in advance to all the things you could figure out on the spot. For example, You could know how to start a fire with steel wool and a battery but if you understood that the resistence of too much electricity being forced through to small of a conductor creates heat then the possible solutions are much greater and any thin metal could be used. Understanding that solids don't burn, only gases I got my fire drills to work based on construction details not the type of wood I use. I think this could be a product of the times we are raised in. It was not long ago that things were more mechanical in nature and you look at them to see how they worked. Even electricity could be followed through a wire to the problem. These days that wire leads to a plastic sealed box with dozens of other wires coming out of it and you have no clue what's going on inside that box. Everything has become a specialty, you even need a certificate to drive a forklift these days. We are becoming drones to serve the empire as debt slaves and are losing our ability for free thought. It's easy to find agreement when all thought comes from the same place but come up with an original thought and it's a different story. There is a type of person that seeks the wilderness for the exercise of freedom in both thought and action. It only follows that you develop a tolerence for the way others choose to live thier lives. I feel a certain obligation to tell people when I see them headed in the wrong direction but will only point them in the right direction without concern to be convincing. There have been so many times in my life everybody would say "Oh No, Don't do that" and that is exactly what I would do so I understand the compulsion to be stupid and feel it is every mans right. I just don't feel it's my responsibilty once I've told them so. I don't know why I start rambling like this...I think I'm getting to an age where I'm starting to loose my marbles...If any of this made sense hold it dear because I may not remember it or even be coherent in few years, just another old muttering fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    ...I never let not knowing how to do something stop me from doing it. It is a thinking process that most seem to want to skip and just have the answer handed to them at the same time ignoring the fundamental thought process....
    I agree

For example, You could know how to start a fire with steel wool and a battery but if you understood that the resistence of too much electricity being forced through to small of a conductor creates heat then the possible solutions are much greater and any thin metal could be used. Understanding that solids don't burn, only gases I got my fire drills to work based on construction details not the type of wood I use...
    This idea I do understand but that is where it stops for me, the idea. I really don't know the basic mechanics behind some of the skills. During my time in the primitive skills camps the instructor mainly showed the "how to" and not the "why". There are few people in my area (that is an assumption because don't know anyone) that would even know how to do any of the stuff we talk about on here. The closest I can go to even find a primitive skills camp is 3 hours away, once a year. I even drove 8 hours last year. I am truly interested in the "why" as much as the "how".

When you read my post, realize that my mind set is very much different from some of yours. You could say I am young and dumb but eager to learn.

...I feel a certain obligation to tell people when I see them headed in the wrong direction but will only point them in the right direction without concern to be convincing...
    I am asking sincerely; I am headed in the right direction? If not where do I start?
    Last edited by Rick; 06-15-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

To everyone:

I have read everyone's posts several times and picked up on good information on everyone's posts. So the ones I don't comment back on, I am Not ignoring you.

Flatlander

I think you got the jist of my long winded explination. Ask yourself why? You are not headed in the wrong direction as there are many ways to get there. Just know there is something behind everything you see and you'll gain more from your experience
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 06-15-2011 at 04:22 PM.

I think you got the jist of my long winded explination. Ask yourself why? You are not headed in the wrong direction as there are many ways to get there. Just know there is something behind everything you see and you'll gain more from your experience
    Thank you very much! I will try to view things in the wilderness differently. Insight like that can't be real easy to obtain, probably takes experience.

I still have a lot of work ahead of me.
    Last edited by flatlander88; 06-15-2011 at 04:32 PM.