Thread: How did I get so much crap?

Default How did I get so much crap?

AAA moving company came to the house yesterday to give us a quote. We walked him through the house and he added up the estimated weight of all our stuff. We are allowed 8,000 pounds of total weight until we have to pay for excess. Amazingly we were just over that! Between the wife and I we have almost 600 pounds of just Military gear and clothing! I'm wondering if we may be hoarders. We find it hard to let go of our Military gear. Of course my wife still may need hers, but I just can't bring myself to toss any of it out. We each have 3 deployment bags full, plus 1 each large black box of gear. Not to mention all the gear we have with our survival gear. DO any of you have this problem? For those that have served, is it hard for you to let that stuff go?
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

I imagine that once the stuff does not fit anymore, you will not need to keep it. However, they gear itself, you may always have.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

25 years worth of stuff. I did do something I thought I never would. After the last deployment,when I decided to retire, I opened my TWO double door lockers and let the guys take whatever they wanted, I had accumulated alot of stuff that was not on the hand reciepts. Even having done that, I have three large gear boxes downstairs and in the shop. I guess we are all alike, a bit of a hoarder.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I was glad that I achieved the enlisted rank that I did for my final move (did a partial self move that payed for my trip), otherwise I would have exceeded my weight allowance by a lot. Early in my career (my first boat) it was pretty easy to not accumulate too much. We had to move every three months (every deployment) and the only vehicle I owned was a motor cycle. It took a lot of trips to the storage unit, but it got done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Throw your gear bags and the box in the camper and car and you'll be under the 8000 pounds. It might even be cheaper to rent a U-Haul trailer one way than to pay the excess. It would be worth looking at the costs at least.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Throw your gear bags and the box in the camper and car and you'll be under the 8000 pounds. It might even be cheaper to rent a U-Haul trailer one way than to pay the excess. It would be worth looking at the costs at least.
    I think we'll be ok. They said we get an additional 500 pounds for "pro gear" and then an extra 600 pounds added on for packing material plus there are some items we plan to toss or give away. I was just shocked how much we really have. Going to have to downsize since the house we are getting in Florida is a bit smaller than the one we have here.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

I am not sure if it is different between Army and Air Force, but all of my gear was taken off my load with no limit as well as 15% was taken off for packing material. My max weight was 9,000lbs. I still went over but I did a partial DITY and it didn't cost me extra since I moved 4,500lbs myself. Most of my weight was tools and camping gear. I had about 1,500lbs of military gear moved, that includes all my manuals they count as military gear. I don't think I have ever gotten rid of any of my gear unless I had a Soldier that needed something. Every time I deploy I end up with two more duffels of gear, eventually I will be 50/50 household goods/military gear.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman86 View Post
    I am not sure if it is different between Army and Air Force, but all of my gear was taken off my load with no limit as well as 15% was taken off for packing material. My max weight was 9,000lbs. I still went over but I did a partial DITY and it didn't cost me extra since I moved 4,500lbs myself. Most of my weight was tools and camping gear. I had about 1,500lbs of military gear moved, that includes all my manuals they count as military gear. I don't think I have ever gotten rid of any of my gear unless I had a Soldier that needed something. Every time I deploy I end up with two more duffels of gear, eventually I will be 50/50 household goods/military gear.
    This jogged my memory a bit. For the Navy (IIRC) any gear and books were labeled "professional" and did not count toward weight limit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel