Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools that earn their keep

Default Tools that earn their keep

Some tools are more useful than others and thought it might be interesting to compare. A couple I like are this lazer torpedo level and die grinder.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I layout all my jobs with the lazer and it stays in my nail bag. I use the die grinder daily. Cut off wheels will saw through metal and shape it too. I often build up worn parts with weld and grind them back to original specs with the die grinder. Stones and sanding disks help with sharpening tasks. Wire brushes are great for cleaning threads, removing old gaskets, cleaning battery and ground connections, etc. I have an assortment of router bits for shaping wood or even aluminium.

What are some of your favorite tools.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-06-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Restored Post

sawzall and framing hammer

I seem to find new uses for a dremel everyday.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Cordless drills are now an indespensible part of my tool kit. I keep a good one in use and a cheap one as backup.

I also find more and more jobs for my reciprocating saw. I was making a trailer a while back and sawed a pickup truck in half in less than a minute. It cut through the frame rails like hot butter.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tape measure and SAK, both in my pocket all the time, and used daily, the type of tools that you really miss if you don't carry them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Excel, and SolidWorks.

My cordless drill is probably used the most out of all the tools I have at home.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Tape measure
    carpenters pencil
    20 oz hammer
    utility knife
    6-in-1 screwdriver

Pole Gin, climbers, running blocks, coffing hoist, handlines, blocklines, shotgun stick...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Cordless drill, come'a-long, pliers and most importantly, "a roll of bailing wire".............BH51...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Pole Gin, climbers, running blocks, coffing hoist, handlines, blocklines, shotgun stick...
    I used to love the little Klein peanut blocks. The perfect thing for stringing secondary.

Now my everyday tools would be: My Klein 9" Lineman's, 10-in-one, channel locks, crescent wrench, screw starter, fluke clamp-on, and the shotgun for grounds.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I screw starter with magnet stayed in my pocket all the time when I worked as a mechanic. Very handy little tool.

I seem to use my leatherman multi tool lots and any cordless tool is always handy
    Hope for the best but expect the worst and you will never be dissapointed

Lately - 2" X 72" belt sander, angle grinder, drill press, files, buffer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    I used to love the little Klein peanut blocks. The perfect thing for stringing secondary.

Now my everyday tools would be: My Klein 9" Lineman's, 10-in-one, channel locks, crescent wrench, screw starter, fluke clamp-on, and the shotgun for grounds.
    We call the Klein blocks "bucket blocks" because they live in the bucket! They are a great tool! If the groundman sets you out to close, you can hold off with them and adjust the strap jacks. We still have lots of 4 and 6 solid up here and they are tool enough to put it back together doing storm work.

The 9" are a staple, 10-in-one must go by a different name here...the channel locks are "candy grabbers" up here and the dogbone is another tool that goes up almost every pole with me both in the bucket and in the hooks.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I'm not familiar with the 10in1 either. Are you talking about a lineman's wrench? I've head them referred to as 5in1s before.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

(Maybe he uses two of them 5in1X2=10in1?)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That was my first thought to Rick...that's just called a Klein or lineman's Wrench here..

I'd gladly take a nickel for every through bolt I've used that on or every thimble eye bolt for a down guy or truss bolt or...shoot, just take your pick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'd gladly take a nickel for every through bolt I've used that on or every thimble eye bolt for a down guy or truss bolt or...shoot, just take your pick.
    I think us wire monkeys could start a thread and run it out 100 posts without anyone else know what we were talking about! Thimble eye is a hub eye here but we can only use them for aerials. Down guys need a rams head! Course, if your guy wire isnt long enough, you can just use a pickle and add more!

You bet. I'd guess there are a few baloney benders on here and they wouldn't be the least bit afraid of a diaper. They'd never use a J hook for a house knob, though. A Narrow Back might do that but you'd never catch them using pig livers. Either one might use a two pounder, however. Only one of 'em would use a U-bangi and we'll let folks figure out which one.

I love it when you guys talk dirty.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel