Thread: Boy Scout 15 mile 2 night Backpacking Trip

Default Boy Scout 15 mile 2 night Backpacking Trip

We finally made it to a backpacking trip. This one is the first backpacking trip of the year, and is suppose to fill one of the required hikes for the backpacking merit badge.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    We started out at the trail head about a mile from my house. I was worried about snow levels, so we planned to stay below 7 thousand feet.

We hiked through some very green country still in the spring mode with lots of flowers. This south facing slope looks pretty barren most of the year.

I barely finished sewing this tarp tent. I need to take it to work and weigh it. But, the scouts used it, and it kept them dry and kept their packs lighter.

The first day was probably 3 miles. The next day was the brunt of our hiking. The first half was spent ascending over a saddle at 7000'. Here are pictures of the trail up.
    That last picture shows the cows sitting on the saddle.

After the saddle, the rest was down hill. It was pretty steep, and I am glad we were going down and not up.
    When we got to the bottom of the canyon to camp, all the good spots were on the other side of the river. Generally this river is a small stream. But with the heavy late snow, it was moving pretty good. It was a good experience for the boys to wade across a freezing stream.
    Our last campsite was very pretty and green.
    Here is my hammock.

We were awakened around midnight to a very chilling scream. I couldn't tell what it was, but it sounded awful. And it sounded to be getting closer and closer. When I got home and did some web searching, I would say it sounded like a fox. Not as dramatic as I thought, but man was it a freaky, bone chilling scream.

Saturday morning we packed up and headed home. We probably hiked about 3 miles down hill the last morning. We did a total of 15 for the 2 nights. The boys loved it and can't wait for our next one scheduled in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by finallyME; 06-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Awesome! Looks like you had a great time. What kind of meals did you prepare?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks fun, thank you and the other adults for getting the boys out. Good job!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

For food we had mountain house spaghetti the first night and rice noodles with tuna and crackers the next. For breakfast on both mornings we had carnation instant breakfast and outmeal. Lunch was just food bars, m&ms, beef jerky and cookies.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beautiful place for camping. Thanks for the pictures.

The wife and I were camping one night on Spring Creek, back when we were still in school. Something off in the distance, shortly after we went to bed, sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder. Being defenseless other than the camp axe, I reached out, grabbed the only weapon, stoked the fire back up nice and bright, and waited.. We heard it a few more times, each time sounding farther away.
    I was told that it was likely a panther, but I'm not so sure they live around here. Very scary tho.

Great pic's, beautiful!
    Thanks, for taking the time with the young people, they will remember this for the rest of their life.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Beautiful pics. Looks like a great time.

In the first pic, showing the tarp that you made - do you have any detailed pictures showing how you attached the netting?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for sharing the pics and report of your great trip. Good on you and the other adults for spending time helping the young 'uns learn the outdoors.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Beautiful pics. Looks like a great time.

In the first pic, showing the tarp that you made - do you have any detailed pictures showing how you attached the netting?
    I am working on taking more detailed pictures and making a post exclusively on how it is made. But, basically, I sewed the netting on.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pics and report of your great trip. Good on you and the other adults for spending time helping the young 'uns learn the outdoors.
    Ed, you better not show your scout troop that you know how to camp and stuff. That is what got me. I went to the Father and Son campout, and they noticed that I knew what I was doing. Next thing I know they are asking me to be a scoutmaster. But, I have noticed that I really like teaching youth about the outdoors.

Blog Entries

It's always great to see youngsters outside. Lots of memories being created right there!

I think it's the time of year when the Foxes are frisky! We have a lot round here and yup, that noise the females make is bloodcurdling!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.