Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paracord bracelet selling tips?

Found the ad for Sportsman's guide.......they are out of stock....but does give you any idea what you are up against if you plan on making any money by selling one you made.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=930892
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I make them and sell them. I have a youtube video on a jig that I made to make them with. The best selling tip I can say is just wear one and when asked hey where did you get that say I make them and sell them. I keep a bag in the trunk of the car and always sell out. Best of luck to you.

Again not to rain on anyone's parade here but
    1. Uncle Sam likes his cut. As in Sales tax if your state has one.
    2. Make sure your packaging or signage says something to the effect of "Not intended for children 12 years of age or under." There is a whole new set of laws that went into effect Jan 1 regarding home made items intended for children.
    http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbu...facturers.html

There is some great advice in here, Wingman mentioned a jig which was something I was going to advise. I have been planning on making one for a while (so many projects so little time). Here is a pic of a bracelet jig.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

And here is instructions on how to make them http://www.instructables.com/image/F...FixtureJig.jpg
    And if you aren't very good at making stuff like that, just have a family member help you build it. It will allow you to have set sizes for your bracelets and insure they are all exactly the same.

Also as somebody else mentioned, maybe make some different things to give people more options.

Paracord dog leash

Paracord lanyard

Last edited by Sparky93; 04-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Sorry for having joined this "parade" so late.

Bailey W , if you're looking for something to add to your paracord bracelet, may I suggest a compass? I mean, what says "survival tool" better than a compass? It goes well, too, with team colors and "Lead the Way" or "Find the Way" or The Only Way" or , simply "The Way."

Small button compasses are literally a "dime-a-dozen" on eBay. All ya gotta do is (yeah, right) figure out a way to securely attach one of these compasses to your paracord bracelet, and I do believe you'll be off to the races (so to speak). If your attachment method is truly unique, don't forget to PATENT it -- actually rather easy if it is truly unique & you don't mind a lot of paperwork.

Regards, and GOOD LUCK!!!

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.

My daughter saw where they were making prom dresses and what not from duct tape. She made a couple of wallets that folks snapped up. Then I had a friend ask if she could Make it in camouflage.

When ever he pulled that ole wallet out he would hold it up near his face while he talked and sorted his money to pay. Everyone who saw it wanted it. Nobody would ever see that wallet in your pocket. So, like he did make every moment possible a marketing moment.

If you like tying knots, theres alot of good instructions online. I was into it for a little while and enjoyed it. I don't know the names for the different knots but i've tyed paracord around a maglite in a pattern, also I like the look of....keep in mind I don't know the name. It's 2 strands using 4 ends and makes a long rectangle. Looks good with 2 colors on keyfobs and I have one on my Sharpfinger. I need to find the instructions again, I have a new belt knife and the loop lanyard I put on it isn't working out. If you decide to diversify, which is good because you have the material already and bracelets may chill out for awhile but now keychains are cool!

If you tell Billy you will have his bracelet Friday in the configuration he asked for.........You do everything in your power to have it by friday!!! I don't know that I would give one for free because one went thru the campfire........but I would give a discount on a replacement. If someone buys a few at a time the next ones free, buy 2 and #3 is free something like that.

The bottom line is explain what you'll do and do what you say, at a reasonable price and you'll do well. I'll pay alittle extra if I KNOW that if the dog eats my bracelet I'll get a break on a new one as long as I bring in the remains of the original.

Always keep on few on you for the spur of the moment sale once they see yours. I had a man come into my store at work, he had a survival bracelet on that I admired. I asked him where he got it, he told me he made them. I would have bought a couple on the spot but......he had none. He said he would come back with some to sell in a week or two...........this was a few months ago, if he came in with some to sell me tomorrow I wouldn't buy.....if I did it would be for real cheap. Your word means alot!!!

The campfire was sort of an extreme example. Just an analogy that your time arguing with a customer is a lose/lose. If he's a really good salesman he'll tell the customer the bracelet will be ready Friday and deliver it on Thursday. You have to WOW customers to keep them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey all. I just joined up here and I too have started makeing Paracord bracelets. And i was curious if their are any legal ramifications if i made a facebook page for my paracord stuff and sold them. Like if i call it a Cobra Weave or a Fish tail weave if their are patents on these names? I know i cant call it Bear Grylls or anything like that but just dont want to get in trouble.

It's best to seek legal advice from an attorney, not a bunch of faceless folks on the internet. Doing that spells disaster as far as your business plan goes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There are no patents or copyrights on the name of the weaves. Most of them have been around for centuries dating back to sailing ships. Cordage and scrimshaw were two things the sailors used to occupy their down time. But an attorney is always good.

EDIT: Sorry Crash I was typing while you were posting.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just another example of that whole great minds thinking alike thing......still trying to figure out our excuse.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Maybe 'cause we sit next to each other and I can see what you type? That's just a guess, though.

I started selling bracelets and created my own version of a monkey fist keychain holder and made enough money to pay for my M&P .40 and some other accessories. (No grief from my wife because it didn't come out of the general funds) Great advice from everyone above and the only other thing I can say is enjoy it and take your time. People will pay good money for a product that is well made. Ie. pay attention to your melted ends. Be sure not to burn surrounding cord, make sure the melt will not scratch or be uncomfortable to the person wearing the bracelet. In other words focus on the fine details. Good Luck and congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The problems of making something, and selling them is the basis of business in general and has been that way since the first "trade".
    The fact that you are 17, doesn't make any difference....you are learning a valuable lesion in business

I can't see where anyone paying full price of materials, taking their own time, then trying to compete with imported paracord survival bracelets, can make any money.

Awhile back I saw Sportsman's Guide selling 3 bracelets for like $25 bucks, (can't find the ad right now).
    As I have made a couple myself, took a while, as I'm not good at it....it would take me all day to make 3, I'd starve to death from the earnings @ $25 buck a day, less materials.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just stating the facts.........hard to make a buck (or lot's of bucks) on this........Unless you just enjoy making them and trying things.......

DW makes knitted stuff, painted gourds, and other crafts....but would be working for $.05 cents an hour if trying to sell them.....she just likes to do it.

Good luck.

I can make 3 paracord bracelets in a half hr and sell them at $5 each for a 100% profit

Keep practicing, you'll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeranger40 View Post
    I can make 3 paracord bracelets in a half hr and sell them at $5 each for a 100% profit
    I'd say, name that tune!

Um.. what does that mean

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeranger40 View Post
    How do you make 100% profit? You spent money to buy the materials, and you spent time making them. The only way to make 100% profit is to steal the items and sell them. Otherwise you are spending resources.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee