Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paracord bracelet selling tips?

Lightbulb Paracord bracelet selling tips?

Yea so I've started selling paracord survival bracelets, generally around school and to friends (I'm 14 by the way). But due to bad judgement, I started selling at the end of the school year, I've still got decent connections with friends etc, but I really haven't had any business as of now. I've tried to advertise on Craigslist, Facebook etc, but business is rather slow. Any tips guys?

there is just too much competition to generate much traffic; my suggestion is to come up with something unique and different and see it can rise to the top. keep at it, wear one at all times and you may generate business this coming school year! you can also try ebay and etsy

What I've thought about doing is making two-colored bracelets and selling them around football season. The fanatics would probably buy me out fast.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    What I've thought about doing is making two-colored bracelets and selling them around football season. The fanatics would probably buy me out fast.
    yep, team colors
    maybe some pink ones for the womenfolk
    find something cheap/natural/homemade that you can attach to your bracelets

maybe weave into your bracelets 5-6 little bits of different woods for the " naturalists "
    the 5-6 different woods would be good for a naturalist necklace

how much are you selling these bracelets for ?
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Answers regarding suggestions for this young man's marketing are cool. Let's leave pricing inquiries to PM's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bailey,

You've asked one of the basics of marketing. Let me explain what you need to do then I'll tell you how to do it.

Making money is easy. Making a lot of money is only slightly harder but you absolutely must adhere to a few basics.

1. Product Quality - Make certain your bracelets are made of quality materials and made perfect each time. If your gut says, "that doesn't look right" or "I don't like how that one turned out" then do it over or discard it. "Good enough" is NOT good enough when it comes to your customers. Quality products will bring customers back.

2. Customer Respect - Refer to all your customers as Sir, Ma'am, Mr., Mrs. or Miss. Never use their first name. That's too "familiar" and some people resent it. Show them respect always.

3. Pricing - Your profit margin will generally have some space for pricing. Know how much each bracelet costs (cost of paracord divided by number of bracelets is one way) and don't forget your time is worth money, too. If you are only making .50 on every bracelet you make then you could easily be working at a gas station and make more. You want to go where the money is even if selling bracelets isn't it. On the other hand, you don't want to charge so much that no one will buy them. Do some research and find out how much they sell for. Take a look at your costs (including your time) then decide what an equitable price would be. In your case, I would charge a tad more on the high side. You can lower your price a lot easier than you can raise it.

4. Excellent Customer Service - Your best advertising is word of mouth and only a happy customer will give you a good recommendation. If someone buys a bracelet and comes back 10 minutes later and says they've changed their mind simply give them their money back. Even if they dropped it in the fire and melted half of it give them their money back or another bracelet. They may decide you did right by them and come back 20 minutes later and buy 4 more. Don't waste your time (remember, your time is money) by arguing with them. An unhappy customer will never come back and they will make sure others know how bad you are. You're miles ahead to treat them right.

If you adhere to those 4 basics you market will be ready for you. Now let's talk about where.

Every week-end something is going on. Air shows, fairs, sidewalk sales, garage sales, events at the park, knife shows, gun shows, etc. Set up a table at those events and you'll be surprised how many you'll sell. Make up a quality sign with some catchy slogan like, Bailey's Bands or whatever you like and extoll the virtues of a paracord bracelet. Explain why people simply CAN NOT live without one. If you are handy at art then you can make it. If not, then see if a family member can do a good job for you. Remember rule #1, quality products, that goes for advertising copy, too. Talk to your customers and tell them just how good that bracelet is. Explain that it will make the best boot laces they've ever owned. If they break a hiking boot lace in the woods then have the fix on their wrist. You get the point. Watch some infomercials and pay attention to HOW they sell their products.

My grand daughter was 7 and made some hair barrettes that she wanted to sell. We made some signs for her and set up a table at an air show. She made over $100 profit the first day. Not too shabby for a 7 year old. At 8 she has her own business cards and hits all the shows around here. She generally sells 40-50 barrettes per show. As I said, making money is easy.

You'll be surprised how many folks will buy from you because you are 14 and they want to encourage that entrepreneurial spirit. You can make that work to your advantage too. Moms will think you are cute (enjoy it while it lasts) so tell them why their little Johny needs a bracelet. They love buying little Johny "stuff". Smooze the moms and "man up" the dads. His little Johny will look a lot more macho with a paracord bracelet. Okay, that's a little tongue in cheek but only a little. You get the idea on that too.

Good Luck. If you really want to do it you can. But be advised. Selling is work. Good selling is a lot of work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Here's an idea...

Put "Bear Grylls'" name on it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I know you think that was funny but you can get that youn man in alot of trouble using bear grylls name without permission. Take it down!

Yeah Bailey - nobody's name but yours should go on your creations.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Agreed.

So just change your name to Bear Grylls, no problem, right?

(ps, you know I'm just pulling your leg, right?)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Bailey - One other thing. If you can design something unique about your bracelet then that will help sell it as well. Take a look at some of the posts paracordist has made. I'm not suggesting you copy his work but he has done some pretty spiffy stuff and it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Here's one that would give his an edge over his competition and a good example of what I mean. Don't make something unique just to make it but if you can design something that adds value or something that makes your bracelet better then that will be a great advantage.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...l=1#post298207
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Right on the money, Rick! (nice to see you swing back.)
    Bailey, do exactly what Rick said and come back and brag about your success. You can do it, kid!

hey, my names alex and im 17. just like you i am trying to sell paracord bracelets, but i dont have any idea were to even begin. and i am at a loss for how to make a lot of them or how to advertise them. mine are quality made, unlike my grammer, and i need help too.

Follow the above advice gir. It applies to you as well, and if you follow it you will be successful. As to making a lot of them........make em one at a time and take as long as you need to make as many as you need.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by gir View Post
    hey, my names alex and im 17. just like you i am trying to sell paracord bracelets, but i dont have any idea were to even begin. and i am at a loss for how to make a lot of them or how to advertise them. mine are quality made, unlike my grammer, and i need help too.
    The problems of making something, and selling them is the basis of business in general and has been that way since the first "trade".
    The fact that you are 17, doesn't make any difference....you are learning a valuable lesion in business

I can't see where anyone paying full price of materials, taking their own time, then trying to compete with imported paracord survival bracelets, can make any money.

Awhile back I saw Sportsman's Guide selling 3 bracelets for like $25 bucks, (can't find the ad right now).
    As I have made a couple myself, took a while, as I'm not good at it....it would take me all day to make 3, I'd starve to death from the earnings @ $25 buck a day, less materials.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just stating the facts.........hard to make a buck (or lot's of bucks) on this........Unless you just enjoy making them and trying things.......

DW makes knitted stuff, painted gourds, and other crafts....but would be working for $.05 cents an hour if trying to sell them.....she just likes to do it.

Good luck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When you get it down you can easily make 7-8 an hour. Buy the materials wholesale and your costs per item go way down.

I get bored after I get a couple of anything done........Once I have done it, I move on.

I'm of low intelligence so I don't have that........ooooh. Butterflies.

LOL, That is a place in the world for everyone......

I used to see it in the factory, guys/gals doing the same job everyday over and over....and wonder how they could stand it.

So one day I was having a conversation (I was the supervisior), with one of my best guys.....so I ask him.
    He says, "I don't wanna think, I just wanna do my job, be the best at it, so I don't get hassled, then go home,.... I don't know how you put up with all the BS that goes on".