Thread: New EDC handgun

what's left of waveland mississippi after Katrina

Default New EDC handgun

Having been a shooter for more years than I care to think about, I'm looking for a new every day carry handgun. Most handgun classes I have taught or assisted teaching in the U.S. have used the Colt .45 as the handgun. Elsewhere the 9mm has been the handgun of choice.

I personally have carried a 9mm Browning Hi-Power since 1984. My .45s have remained at the schools I have worked with. I really like the round capacity of the Browning and love the stopping power of the .45. Thus my dilema...What do I want to carry? Have to keep in mind the cost of the leather gear as well as the various accourements for the new EDC.

My Browning and my .45 use the same leather...old Chapman Hi-Ride Crossdraw,,,Horizonal Hang Jackass shoulder holster,,,Bianchi RH Belt holster...Yes these Holsters are from 1984 too also.

I am seriously leaning towards a Para-Ordnance Hi-Capacity .45 (15 rds dbl stacked), Gov't Mod or Long Slide version. Being in the wheelchair, the weight isn't a problemn and I've never had a problem concealing a weapon.

Anyone have any experience with this handgun? Please let me hear from you. I'm also looking for a Beretta Mod. 84B .380 (13 rd dbl stacked).

I figure new State, New Home,,,New Gun?

God Bless

Lee
    shoot low boys, they're ridin' shetland ponies

I like 1911's in 38 Super. I've not taken any classes or taught any...or know anything about what they teach. Just that's what I want!
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 06-07-2011 at 10:08 PM.

The 9mm and the .45 work about the same in the real world. There is very little to no difference with modern hollow point ammo between these two chamberings in effectiveness on the street. 25 years ago the .45 guys might have had an argument but not today. But if you like big bullets and high round counts, why not go with the .40S&W. Now lets talk about the launching platform. You sound like an "all metal gun" kind of guy so I will controll myself and hold off on the GLOCK recommendation . That being my assumption I have to recommend to you the exceptional CZ 75 B in .40 S&W. It will feel like your Browning High Power in your hand, hold plenty of big bullets, It will fit your leather for the High Power, is VERY reliable, VERY accurate, VERY durable and VERY affordable. Hell, what's not to like. With my ramblings comming to an end, if I were you, I'd probably just stick with my old familiar 9mm Browning High Power and feel comfortable in the fact that I am as well armed as a man can be in the 21st centry. Buuuuuuut, if you need an excuse for a new gun, I fully understand the poision and sway you toward the superb CZ 75 b in .40 S&W. Now to really throw ''a monkey in the wrench''. Keep in mind that CZ also offers this basic platform in .45 acp (CZ 97B) and 9mm (CZ 75B). I know, I know.....descisions, descisions. Sticking with your Browning HP is looking better and better all the time, isn't it? Hahaha!
    Last edited by glockcop; 06-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

As soon as I read the opening line, I was going to recommend the Para Ord P-12 LDA. It's an officer sized gun and it hold 12 rounds of .45ACP. The LDA trigger is sweet!
    I know what hunts you.

if I could EDC a gun legally in california it would be my .32. It's tiny, fits in my pocket without anyone knowing I'm carrying a gun. It's enough to hurt a person but not kill them.

Hopefully I'll be leaving this state sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by vahtryn View Post
    if I could EDC a gun legally in california it would be my .32. It's tiny, fits in my pocket without anyone knowing I'm carrying a gun. It's enough to hurt a person but not kill them.

Seriously? Not to be disrespectful, but your view (or maybe knowledge) leaves something to be desired.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's closely akin to - "I don't need my gun loaded, it's just to scare someone".
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

What the holy crap! Did I just read that correctly? A .32 may not be the most effective man stopper but I can assure you, it is fully capable of killing someone fairly quickly if careful shot placement is observed. Seen a few corpses in my time that a .32 has given ''the long dirt nap''. .22's, .32's, and .380's are gang banger calibers of choice, and we all know about their life expectancy. Misconceptions like your's are dangerous to say the least. Not dogging you out or anything, but I'm just amazed. Take care.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

AS a fan of the BHP, If I was to EDC one today I would OPT for the BHP in .40 S&W. As you are very familar with that platform. Holsters, mag holders interchange.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I do sometimes stick a Beretta 21-A in my shirt pocket for small pests and because I don't want to lose it for another couple of years. It did decent on a coyote at about 15yds with five shots but I did have my 45 to back it up. They will kill and whatever you shoot won't care what caliber it was. I've been carrying the Glock g23 while laying block, easy carry but I find myself still going for my 45. The 40 is what all LEOs carry around here but old habits and a good handgun that never failed me is hard to give up. I do believe I would trust a 22 more than a 32 or 25, my personal opinion only.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

This is wrong. A "hurt" methhead will still eat your face.

Pull a gun to shoot. Only. If situations change to a non lethal approach after you brandish your firearm, then, by all means don't shoot.

If you are not in fear of your life, do not brandish your firearm. As soon as you fear for your life; pull it and shoot it.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Arn't you guys being a little rough on the poor guy? After all, he is from Kalifornia and you have to make allowances.

It's sort of like whan our British friends check in and know all about firearms and hope to take a trip and see one soon.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"It's sort of like whan our British friends check in and know all about firearms and hope to take a trip and see one soon."

That's funny. Hahaha! Let's not forget the Aussies and our neighbors to the north. Poor b@stards. It's a shame.

what's left of waveland mississippi after Katrina

I have given a great deal of thought to a couple of the responses on this thread,,,and considered various ways of responding to the responses...

I am sorry I ever started this thread,,I cannot in good conscience respond without putting one or 2 folks in thier place and deeply insulting thier self-respect and dignity...I do not know how to close and lock a thread but would ask one of the Moderators to close and lock this one for me...

God Bless

Lee
    shoot low boys, they're ridin' shetland ponies