Thread: Good to know there still are a few young guys out there that want to work.

Default Good to know there still are a few young guys out there that want to work.

A while back I had a conversation with a lady, talking about her grand son.
    Was looking to make some cash to pay for a tech school.

She related he was going around picking up junk from farms that he could sell for scrap.

On my property there is a ravine that was used as a dump for a lot of years, so I let her know that if he was interested, he could have any thing he could haul.

I hadn't seen him doing the cleaning, but the pile down in the hole is going down.

Today he stopped by, and asked about a few things that he figured I might want, as I do have some antique stuff hanging one the cabin walls.

Most everything is pretty much junk so he just hauled it away, along with another load, today.

He found a old manure spreader up-side down in the hole, today.
    Didn't know how he was gonna it out.

After he left, I hauled it out with the tractor....so we will see if he can load it up.

I also asked if he would do my weed-whacking on the steep bank in front of the house, and he agreed.

I was impressed that he was a go-getter, will to bust his butte, for ever he do to make some cash, but thought enough this stuff to realize I might want some of it.

On the other hand, I guess I'm getting older.....When you hire a "Kid' to do your work, that makes you an "Older guy"...Right, LOL
    Kinda reminds me, of me 50 years ago......But it did find it refreshing.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-06-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Always nice to find a kid with a good work ethic that was instilled in him early.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

It's good to know there's still good people out and about. He seems to have not just a good work ethic, but a good dose of integrity too.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A diamond in the rough. You might want to invite him to dinner one night and make friends. Seems like the kind of guy willing to work and learn. I know if I were in his position, you'd have to run me off because you'd be tired of me asking all the questions about stuff I want to learn about.

That's awesome,sounds like a good kid.
    I used to rototiller gardens around this time of the year for a few bucks,when I was younger.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I I actually find it hard to believe. I haven't been on here much, had a lot of work to do around the house and decent help is sure hard to find. Plenty getting a check, maybe for being too lazy to work or on drugs and are too burnt out. I needed a 40' drainage ditch dug behind the garage, drain pipe, fabric and gravel over it, simple job. I tried to hire someone for a month and the first and only answer I could get was "can I get a ditch witch in there?" Nope, has to be hand dug and that was that. I did it myself in a couple of days. I would gladly lead a youngster by the hand and help if I could find one that would work and was willing to learn. Sad world.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Glad you're done digging and back around here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One of the pieces of junk down in the hole looks like an old manure spreader.......The kid was having a problem.

So I went and got the tractor and fished it out...He doesn't know it yet, LOL
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

From here:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Lots of junk hauled away already.......He's keeping a eye out for cool stuff.

Hunter63, grab that young man and teach him every thing you can. There are so very few young people that want to or are willing to work today, that it really makes you wonder how this country will make it in even the next ten years. At the shipyard, it seems like the life has been sucked out of the people, no desire to work, quit 1/2 hour before the end of shift, if not more. I have one young man working for me that has some spark, but you can see the other workers who don't produce pulling him down. It is really very sad to see.

I do have him coming over to do the weed whacking on the side of the hill....we will see how it goes.