Thread: "Kelp" whats to know about eating Kelp.....?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default "Kelp" whats to know about eating Kelp.....?

"Kelp" whats to know about eating Kelp.....?
    Kelp.....does it need to be cooked....? is it goooder cooked, goooder raw.....? I am asking from a reference of survival food. And is there many different kinds of kelp in Alaska??

Blog Entries

I know kelp tastes OK, It's a good source of vitamins and minerals, in particular Iodine. It can be dried easily in the sun then crushed and used as a condiment. It also contains something that makes beans more digestible, but I can't remember what it is. There are loads of recipes on the interweb. As for Alaskan Kelp, I would imagine it's much the same as other varieties.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I've eaten a few different varieties both cooked (steamed) and dried. I've not harvested any for eating (done by a friend). With so many varieties, I would imagine that like any other wild edible - identification is important.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Kelp is a nutritional powerhouse.
    Dried, cooked, pickled, you can't do better than stocking up on it. I buy it dried in jars (Chinese & Japanese markets) that I add to miso soup or other broths, mixed veggies & casseroles.

SD, down here we eat the herring eggs on the kelp. Eat all of it, kelp and eggs together. Very salty.

My plan involves using it as salt. Dry it out, crumble it up, add to salmon.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Good info, I've seen pickled kelp at the Chinese market but haven't tried it yet.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Sourdough; 06-05-2011 at 01:16 AM.