Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Glock

you want full size, or is this for EDC? I love .357 sig, versatile cuz you can swap out barrel only and you got .40 cal too!

Quote Originally Posted by paracordist View Post
    you want full size, or is this for EDC? I love .357 sig, versatile cuz you can swap out barrel only and you got .40 cal too!
    You read the OP and skipped to the end didn't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by paracordist View Post
    Late to the game, brother . That's been covered in depth earlier on. Apparently you like Glock's unrivaled versitility too. Take care.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I have been shooting Glocks since 1987. My first was a G17, (Low 2 digit serial number)which my son has. My second was a Glock 19 and now my daughter has it, ( she is a retired DS from Calif)
    I purchased another G19, my Wife took it. She tried several handguns and was CCing a S&W model 13, 3 inch, when she decided she wanted my G19.
    I CC a GlocK 23 now. I also shoot a G35 in IDPA. I tried the G22 but it didn't fit in. Bigger then the G23, smaller then the G35. It stayed a home when CCing and stayed at home when shooting IDPA.
    There have been several reports of Glock 22's having problems when mounting a light on the rail. Without the lights they function fine.

FWIW I have a couple of 1911's including the first handgun I purchased upon retirement from the USMC in 1971, A Satin Chrome Colt Combat commander in .45 ACP.

AS I reload and cast my own lead bullets I have switched all my Glocks to an after market barrel, which allows me to shoot factory and my Cast lead bullets with any problems. I have the Storm Lake and the Lone wolf barrels. I found no difference in how they shoot.

If I was involved in a disaster I wouldl grab my AK and my Glock. Both operate on very low maintainence, I lube both with Mobil 1 oil. A quart goes a long way.
    The main complaint of G22's jamming with a light attached came from a particular Police Dept out West that at the time (a few years ago) had just recently went to .40 cal G22's after being a ''9mm department''. This department sent out a premature nation wide alert to all major L.E. agencies about this "problem". Glock Reps went to their training facility for observation but the supposed feed jams could not be duplicated in their presence. Limp wristing was the cause of stoppages but Glock switched them all out for 9mm handguns anyway to satisfy the department. Glock was not able to confirm the reported ''problems'' using THAT DEPARTMENTS ACTUAL HANDGUNS AND AMMO for testing. The rumor/urban legend caught on like wildfire and everyone who limp wristed their G22 and got a rare feed malfunction blamed the weapon instead of the operator. Duh!!!! Our department issues Glocks and was early on sent a memo from Glock saying that no confirmable problems were discovered after exhaustive testing and to rest easy. I personally train/qualify plenty guys every year with lights attached and without and have never seen this ''anomoly''. Chalk it up to a ''hit'' by the nasayers. The G22 and all Glocks form that matter are utterly reliable to a fault.
    Last edited by glockcop; 06-10-2011 at 11:50 AM.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

yes I did, my apologies !!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You read the OP and skipped to the end didn't you?

No worries. I'm sure there will be more hand guns in my future.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I actually bought a Glock g23 awhile back(my first plastic gun). The first time I fired it was with a bunch of local LEOs practicing for re-qualifying at the state police academy. It pointed well and ate everything I fed it from WWB to the good stuff. I'll brag on it mainly because I "qualified" in less time than any of the ones I was shooting with at least 30yrs younger. It shot to point of aim and I didn't notice any felt recoil but that is relative I guess. Anyway I ran 300+ that day and the only thing I didn't like was picking up my dropped mags from the mud. I don't care much for dropping mags in some drills but I played the game and it shot well with my weak hand. BUT I went to the Jeep, got out my 45 and kinda showed off a little. I haven't been invited back since. I take back (almost) everything I ever said bad about Glocks now.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    Yep, yep, and YEP! Any of the .40 and .357 Sig pistols can be made to shoot 9, 40, and 357 with a simple barrel change.
    Hang on a second, that is not what I heard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that a .357 glock can shoot .40 with a .40 barrel, but a .40 Glock should not be used to shoot .357 with a .357 barrel. What I was told is that .357 is a significantly higher-pressure round, and that the .40 frame is not built to take it.

Additionally, I was told that neither the .40 or the .357 Glocks can shoot 9mm with a 9mm barrel, because the striker will not line up properly with the smaller-diameter of the 9mm cartridge case. It's positioned for the larger .40 or .357 cartridge case.

This is all stuff I have heard 2nd-hand, I have not actually experimented with any of it, so I cannot say for sure that it does or does not work. However, that's what I was told. For what it's worth!
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Hang on a second, that is not what I heard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that a .357 glock can shoot .40 with a .40 barrel, but a .40 Glock should not be used to shoot .357 with a .357 barrel. What I was told is that .357 is a significantly higher-pressure round, and that the .40 frame is not built to take it.

Additionally, I was told that neither the .40 or the .357 Glocks can shoot 9mm with a 9mm barrel, because the striker will not line up properly with the smaller-diameter of the 9mm cartridge case. It's positioned for the larger .40 or .357 cartridge case.

This is all stuff I have heard 2nd-hand, I have not actually experimented with any of it, so I cannot say for sure that it does or does not work. However, that's what I was told. For what it's worth!
    If the information in this link is correct, the stuff you were told may be inaccurate. http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx...el_Information
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post

Early Glock 40's were put on existing 9mm frames which worked just fine. Later the frames were strengthened with an additional steel support above the trigger guard specifically for the .357 Sig round. Modern 9/40/.357 Sig frames are now the same exact design with the additional steel support. Glock advised that .40 frames made prior to .357 Sig's introduction should not be used with a .357 barrel but I've seen it done without problems. To be safe, follow Glock's advise if you have an old 40.
    Last edited by glockcop; 06-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If the information in this link is correct, the stuff you were told may be inaccurate. http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx...el_Information
    I stand corrected! (sort of) Looks like the .40 and .357 barrels are indeed interchangeable on the newer models, although you need a special conversion barrel (and possibly a different extractor) in order to shoot 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    Early Glock 40's were put on existing 9mm frames which worked just fine. Later the frames were strengthened with an additional steel support above the trigger guard specifically for the .357 Sig round. Modern 9/40/.357 Sig frames are now the same exact design with the additional steel support. Glock advised that .40 frames made prior to .357 Sig's introduction should not be used with a .357 barrel but I've seen it done without problems. To be safe, follow Glock's advise if you have an old 40.
    I do, and that is very likely the context in which I heard that information.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Now you have a reason to get a new weapon. I'm sure your wife will understand that you can sell your old one to a buddy for about $400.00 and then go buy a brand new one with your L.E. discount for about the same money. Now that's good business IMO. A win/win deal for sure. Why are you sitting there still reading this? Go,go,go!

So Crash, how's the new Gen IV Glock 19 doing? Thinking about a Glock for the holidays coming up.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I really like it. It shoots well, conceals well. I think there will be a couple more in my future.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know this thread details some of the interchanging you can do with Glocks (i.e. 40 cal to 9mm). Is that something you considered? I like the idea of being able to switch out barrels, but I don't know how much I would do it.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Not for me. I have more than a couple of weapons, in a variety of calibers so the ability to swap out barrels and magazines isn't really something that interested me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Versatility is good, as long as it's useful, but when you figure that .9mm, .40 and even .357 Sig are close in ballistics, there is not really much of a point.
    Just means, more different loading dies, molds, size-rs dies, gas checks, brass/bullets....unless of course you want to.....

Was/Is an intresting and informative thread, though, thanks guys for the info...much rather hear it from "Them that's doin'".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Geesh,, all this catterwallering about Glocks!!! I know I will regret this, but here is a tutorial on cleaning those things. Hope it helps. 2d and SD take copious notes

http://www.youtube.com/v/E1m6Qct68wo...layer_embedded
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Hey Pal, what was the point of your post? The whole think was just some chick standing around.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick,,, maybe you should play it slower? I think it is akin to subliminal advertising
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related