Thread: Meomorial Day, what does it mean to you?

Default Meomorial Day, what does it mean to you?

Every year on this date, I start my day sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and let my mind wander over all the great men and women that I have know that have served our country over the years. Not one of them hesitated to serve, nor were they concerned if it would be considered cool. Some died in this service, some were permanently wounded and some like me are still around to remember and try to ensure that no one forgets them and their service. So after coffee I will go to the local vets cemetary and visit some old friends and then at 10 am will sit under a tree on main street and salute Old Glory as she passes, carried by the vets and smile with pride as the Boy Scouts march by .

It is important to remember
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I attend a ceremony each year at the Veterans Memorial Wall in Jacksonville. This year three names are being added to the wall. There are so many men and women that gave everything so that we all may enjoy the freedoms that we have. It is important to not only remember them and their sacrifice, but to continue to fight for that freedom.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Pal Thanks for this post. In some ways it's like Christmas, Seems most have forgotten the "Reason for the Season". It took on a whole new meaning after I started serving myself. Before then, as a kid, it was "Just another day out of school", a time to "get together".

I'm glad to finally truly know why this holiday is here, and Thankful for those that have provided the opportunity for all we have and hold dear. I will also try and make sure my kids know the "Reason for the Season". It's a way to honor those who have been observed on this holiday.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Memorial day is different out here in the pseudocountryside than it is nearer to Boston and the larger cities.
    Most of the city folks think of this weekend as the time they get to start using their vacation cabins. In the town where I live now, the Veteran organizations are far more active and the parades mean far more to the people than just popcorn and cotton candy.

It's a welcome change.

I usually go down to the cemetery early the Saturday before to make sure my Dad's grave is squared away and that they remembered his flag (he was a Marine). The town where he is buried does a small ceremony with a rifle salute and Taps. That'll bring a tear to your eye.

I always give thanks at thanksgiving, Christmas, easter, and Memorial Day
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Blog Entries

As you know, here in England we have Remembrance Day later in the year to reflect on and remember the fallen. I join you on your day to remember
    Last edited by Winnie; 05-30-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

RIP Andy, Mitch, Teddy, and many more.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Just got back from the cemetary and the Township Parade and ceremony. I loved the speeches and such from the kids. The politicians were noticably few, we don't put up with their phoniness around here. The Scouts were a real tear jerker. There were Gold Star moms, vets from WWII to present, the VFW and reprentative units from every branch of service (we are just outside of Joint Base Mcguire, Dix and Lakehurst). Of course there were the Fire trucks . The best part was it was standing room only and they had to close two additional roads for the over flow. All in all was a good Memorial.

Now for the picnic, it will be indoors, with a heat index of 104, no sense in sweating our mmm buttocks off .
    Last edited by Pal334; 05-30-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: grammar
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Memorial day is a remimder of the responsibility we have to keep our country great. And to live our lives to their fullest potential. To do less is not acceptable.
    -Sam

Blog Entries

Memorial Day to me... Nothing at all. The Commemoration Day of Fallen Soldiers(which is our equivalent, 3rd Sunday of May) then again a lot. Especially being the same kind of reservist as most of our men in the last wars. It makes me think of the prize they payed for our freedom. Four wars, one a Civil War, two against the Soviets and then one against the Germans. And then the rebuilding, getting the evacuated 430,000 Karelians re-settled, paying war repetitions... and so on. They were our great generation.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Here are a few pictures from the Memorial Day service I attended.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For me it ha become an important day. As some of you know I am a reenactor. Ten years ago I began participating in one of the many Memorial parades going on in the suburbs of Chicago. I was represented the veterans of the Revolutionary war we also had reenactors representing, war of 1812, Spanish American war, Civil war, WWI, WWII, Korean war and Vietnam. We marched flags in front and paused during the parade for a gun salute. This was fun and the crowd loved it.

As we marched in review our commander would call out Eyes right or left we would find the Veteran in the crowd rising from his seat as our flag passed by. Some in uniform most not. Many struggling to stand for the flag and what it represents to them despite health issues or just age. The look on the veterans faces as they realize we are passing in review offering our salute for them as an individual is something I will never forget. You get to know and look for the faces so we can let them know we didn't forget. You see many of the same faces from previous years, some new faces, and some faces are missing and you know they have passed on.

Its been several years since I have participated in this parade.

Today I marched playing drum with the WV Highlanders Pipe Band. We play our salute to the armed forces and I remember those faces from Chicago and salute the new ones in Grafton WV.

To all Vets thank you for your service.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.