Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding Flint

My son and I have found suitable sparkable rocks among ballast along sides of a railroad tracks. Just bring your steel and strike your finds & keep an eye out for trains.

DomC

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not sure why you selected the Blue Mountains or gravel beds out of his response. Try talking to a local geologist, rockhound (rock collector), books on NSW geology or the geology department of your local college or university.
    Flint, as in flint nodules found in chalk deposits in England is not common in Australia; but chert is very common (flint is a variety of chert).
    OK, so now you need to know where to find chert.
    It is quite common in marine sediments, as it is deposited in deep marine waters.
    In the Blue mountains west of Sydney, it occurs as indicator beds in sandstones, and can be found in gravel deposits in rivers draining the mountains
    Because it is so hard, it is quite common in river gravel deposits - look for hard, smooth stones in rivers draining from the mountains.

And I have where I live: Clay, sanstone.

Escarpment=sandstone. Escarpment+millions of years ago=beach. Beach=millions of years=sandstone.

I just meant he didn't reference either one and I didn't understand how you came to those conclusions based on his post. I don't need to know where to find it but thanks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    My son and I have found suitable sparkable rocks among ballast along sides of a railroad tracks. Just bring your steel and strike your finds & keep an eye out for trains.

DomC
    Good advice, always take your sparker....

Lawn and garden centers have bins of decorator stone to put around bushes..........or the business that have that stone around their buildings.

Also roof tops with a rubber bladder, or tar roof, that has stones to hold it down or reflect sunlight...have all sorts of rock...and again take your sparker
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

"911. What's your emergency?"
    "Yeah, can you send someone over to Rocky's Rock Room?"
    "What's the problem, sir?"
    "Well....there's some guy here beating up a rock. Trust me. You have to see it. He has some metal thingy and he's beating the day lights out of a rock. Wait a minute. Now he's pickin' on another one. Just send someone over."

(Overheard in background..."Spark, dam**t, spark!")

"You better hurry."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Over heard on roof top unit service.....
    "Hunter...?, Hey Hunter....Where you at?
    Other guy....."He's over there again picking up rocks.........."

I'll bet you offered two prices for a HIVAC repair. One much much higher for just work and a good price if they had any junk you could look through. I understand how that works, by the way. I'm guilty too.

Part of any preparation, survival, activity or even just fun things to do and learn.....Always keep the mind going, eyes open, and a bag (or truck....LOL) to put what ever in.

The sad part is when the rest of the crew knew what to expect....and starts horning in......I ever tell you about my copper collection?.....LOL

Ive seen a lotta flint that was already knapped or prepped for fire starters, but i was curious for some kinda litmus test for knowing for sure if it is flint or something else. Being color blind and totally ignorant of geology, what kind of things can i look for to spot the real deal?

Dave does a pretty good job describing it and showing examples.

Thanks for the article it was a good simple way to find flint.

Josh...
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    The is a Welcome section if you would care to say Hello at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions