Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to be good at Survival.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Do people really care about forum stats?
    Let's not devolve this thread into more of that other.
    It's not about stats that I was talking about, just that the stats bear out that the attitude of welcoming beats the attitude of criticism and hostility.

I'm done. Just so long as people are aware of what, why and how things are happening. Funny, but the "Dual Survival" thread, had so much praise, now people that liked it seem to criticize it, and others of it's ilk. Confuses me no end.

I haven't been around, so have no clue what you are talking about with "Let's not devolve this thread into more of that other." Don't need to know either. But probably something similar to what I mentioned earlier. Which strikes at the heart of what I was talking about. "You can catch more flies with honey, than you can with vinegar." Now, Who has the Honey?
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Now, Who has the Honey?
    I'm workin on it...

Blog Entries

"But I just want the butterflies, not all the other flies too..."
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sorry POCO but the mountain men did not go out with only a rifle and a knife. They traveled in brigades of up to 100 trappers. Lewis and clark had a keelboat, a skiff and 3 thirty foot canoes carrying 15 tons of gear.

The brigades recruited the best people and Lewis and Clark hand picked their crew from the best woodsmen in North America.

The people that went out unprepared and ill equipped are the ones that rotted beneth the next year's leaf cover and left family wondering what happened and why no letter ever came. 1 out of 5 never came back from their first year. Of the best that were left and went back only 1 out of 5 died as old men, like Boone, Kenton, Bridger and Carson.

I know the movies and Zane Gray have not transfered that information, but it is the truth. Every one of those "frontiersmen" learned their craft from a mentor. They also all started as woodsmen "under supervision" in their early teen years and matured to expertise.

Encouraging stupid behavior to be polite serves no purpose other than giving SAR units plenty to do. I do not want a group of forum jockies encouraging my 13 year old grandson to head to Manitoba with a backpack and Rambo knife as a "learning experience" like the series goof-balls we have had asking stupid questions here.

This is the internet and we get some real idoits here! Pshychos! Nut jobs! Psycho nutjobs that are jerks! I remember times when that ban button was going full time!

Flies? Vinegar? Honey?

Why should we be a popularity contest. Are we being paid by the post? Are we getting bonuses for recruiting? Is there a prize for the sweetest dispisition and most attractive avitar?

We are here to impart information. Hopefully it will be good information! If that information includes advice to NOT do something it is still valuable advice. As a 35 year teacher I will break the tradidion of correctness and promoting ignorance.

There are stupid questions.
    There are stupid people that keep asking stupid questions.
    There are stupid people that do stupid things even after you told them not to.

I do not wish to be one of the first people tracked down by the internet police and sued for wrongful death because I encouraged some kid to have a "dramitic learning experience".

This thread started on a very positive note. I'm with NCO. Why do we want flies?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There are stupid questions.
    There are stupid people that keep asking stupid questions.
    There are stupid people that do stupid things even after you told them not to.
    Part of being a responsible adult is the 'telling them not to'.
    After that, if they still do it, at least you can say, "I told you so."

KY Rat I know some of the big companies like Hudson bay and such and the Lewis and Clark expedition carried TONS(Literally) of stuff in Droves of people. I was referring more along the lines of Bridger Et Al, the "Independents" so to speak. Sure, they did travel in groups, but they also split up on occasion as well. Then they were limited to what their canoe or Pack Animals could carry. Not with just a knife and rifle as you state. Where that came from I have no idea.Sorry but no swivel guns there as in the Lewis and Clark Expedition. No small artillery pieces like the ones they abandoned when they realized they could no longer carry such extra weight any further. Further why discount the Native population, who for all intents and purposes carried practically nothing in comparison.

As for the rest I was TRYING to let it drop. Which is why I tried making a joke...so much for that idea.

Oh and just so you know, I've never read anything by Zane Grey..at all, ever. I only Barely know who he is. I HAVE read a few Louis L'amour's books though.

As far as "Popularity", Just curious if you have noticed the advertising? Advertising that doesn't reach a large community/audience generally tends to go where there is. I'm sure Bennesse can verify that. Are you a Paying member of the Forum? I'm not, neither is anyone else that I'm aware of. Yet the Forum still has bills. Either they get paid, or like any other business, this place "Closes the doors".

Now as for "Teaching" you don't have a "Captive audience". If people are continually rude to new people this forum stagnates. You have to think "Growth". If you can't try and teach someone, instead of chastise them, how do you expect them to learn? Just a wild guess but your students must not have many options in where they can obtain their information/education/schooling. My point is and was, try to help people learn. If they are "Walking out the door" they aren't learning are they? They are the "Flies", your approach is the Honey or the vinegar. Most people respond more positively to a positive influence than a negative one. But you know that, you are just pretending to be obtuse.

I'm not saying to be irresponsible and help a 12 year old run off to the woods. I AM saying to try and be more helpful. Which would YOU listen to, someone criticizing you, or someone TRYING to help you? It's your choice. As I've always heard, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

Now you say you won't Help "Stupid people". Your words not mine. Isn't that the opposite of teaching? I say that if people are leaving (which is one reason I haven't been around so much lately, as is true with other forum members as well) Then you are having a negative population growth. What happens Mr. History teacher when more people leave a town than come in? Answer "Ghost Towns". Is THAT what you want?
    Last edited by Pocomoonskyeyes3; 05-29-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Being Prepared is what the Boy Scout Motto is and it's what I teach my Scouts. I teach them to be prepared but I also teach them to make due with whatever they have (if for some reason, they become separated from their fully-stocked pack).

If certain forum members were really concerned about the well being of others, some reverse psychology might do better than simple minded criticisms. I get some weird responses on some of my vids, but I try to answer them all with respect and gratitude.

Insulting new members and re-iterating the same ole stuff doesn't have any positive effect whatsoever.

And BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such a thing as an ignorant response. Maybe the reason some folks jump right to the insults is that they have not the answer, but rather an inate ability to type meaningless mumbo jumbo, and a sincere desire to hurt people. Anyone worth their salt can quickly see who these folks are just by viewing their prior posts under their username.

Regardless, it will all pan out in the end and we will all find out who the real survivors are.

It's so often obvious that people choose what they want to believe and then reject all facts to the contrary. Some activities are solo in nature while others are not. For example Gold prospectors lived in solitude but gold miners would flock to areas. Much of what drove people was the pursuit of wealth or bettering there lives. The wilderness provided the oppurtunity. Thats what frontiers were about. They paved the way for more oppurtunity until it is all cobbled up and then you have civilization that just fights for market share. I saw it happen in "The Last Frontier".

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by scottmphoto View Post
    Being Prepared is what the Boy Scout Motto is and it's what I teach my Scouts. I teach them to be prepared but I also teach them to make due with whatever they have (if for some reason, they become separated from their fully-stocked pack).
    Exactly!!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Default Well now...

YCC & RWC1969: A lot of what you're complaining about Is why I started this thread. While I totally disagree with the idea of nixing the intros as they have a significant purpose, I wrote the initial post as a way to talk about survival in a positive way. So could you both contribute something positive that fits the OP? Thanks.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I apologize for my poor attempt at humor. My first response to the OP, I felt was pertinent and positive, and in agreement with your op. Perhaps I was mistaken. A Ton of gear isn't going to make you "good" at the outdoors, nor survival. A passion for those things will. Many folks seem to be extremely gear oriented, while my view is that none of that gear was available 500+ years ago and people THRIVED in the outdoors.

I have nothing further to add, because I'm not sure where I stepped out of line. If this post is out of line, too, feel free to remove it.

YCC - your comments were not out of line.

Poco and RWC - the responses in this thread were most likely due to the same topic in three different threads in as many days. (notice how nobody told you to use the search button ) Nobody has asked for an intro in several days. Nobody has told anybody to use the search button in several days. Several new members have joined. Several experienced members are still not posting.

It is up to each and every member here to shape this forum the way they would like to see it go. Being active and posting about things you would like discussed is probably the most effective route to take.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    YCC - your comments were not out of line.

Poco and RWC - the responses in this thread were most likely due to the same topic in three different threads in as many days. (notice how nobody told you to use the search button ) Nobody has asked for an intro in several days. Nobody has told anybody to use the search button in several days. Several new members have joined. Several experienced members are still not posting.

It is up to each and every member here to shape this forum the way they would like to see it go. Being active and posting about things you would like discussed is probably the most effective route to take.
    I guess that's what I get for being gone for so long. Other than a "drive-by" posting about knives,I haven't been here for quite some time.(Which is why I immediately got worried about Rick when I saw the "Where's Rick" thread)

Yeah I know some of the older members aren't posting here, as I "see" them in my wanderings. Some, like me, keep the same name.

That is why I posted the "Finding Flint" thread. Man was I tickled to find something that was sorta' overlooked. I never knew how to "find" flint, until I stumbled across it quite by accident. But once I did it became a skill that I developed. In the video I did, when I picked up the one chalky rock, I knew before I picked it up that it had no flint. I just needed the "Contrast" as a way to help explain to others. Now I just hope some of you rock hounds get in there and add to the loopholes that exist.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I apologize for my poor attempt at humor. My first response to the OP, I felt was pertinent and positive, and in agreement with your op. Perhaps I was mistaken. A Ton of gear isn't going to make you "good" at the outdoors, nor survival. A passion for those things will. Many folks seem to be extremely gear oriented, while my view is that none of that gear was available 500+ years ago and people THRIVED in the outdoors.

I have nothing further to add, because I'm not sure where I stepped out of line. If this post is out of line, too, feel free to remove it.
    I did not feel that you were not out of line, but I didn't want this thread to take off in another direction. What I was trying to do was to post a positive direction for inexperienced newcomers. You are absolutely correct when you write: "... A Ton of gear isn't going to make you "good" at the outdoors, nor survival. A passion for those things will. Many folks seem to be extremely gear oriented, while my view is that none of that gear was available 500+ years ago and people THRIVED in the outdoors..."

This is also MY point. Learning how to survive a bad situation in the outdoors without having the love & respect for it will make it much more difficult, IF at all.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Around here warm clothes would serve you better than all this philosophy. It is what it is and how you feel about it changes nothing but how you feel about it. You are actually better off dealing with reality without the dilusions. Preparation and experience counts most in my book. If you get through it once you'll know what it takes to get through it again and what you wished you had to do it with. Knowledge is highly overated when your options become limited because you only have so much to work with and this points to what must be done. Creativity and thinking ability rate higher with me. It worries me that so many can think to learn the solution to every situation rather than understand the fundamentals to create a solution. Knowledge does not have to preclude original thought but the sad truth is that it to often does.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    YCC & RWC1969: A lot of what you're complaining about Is why I started this thread. While I totally disagree with the idea of nixing the intros as they have a significant purpose, I wrote the initial post as a way to talk about survival in a positive way. So could you both contribute something positive that fits the OP? Thanks.
    You're right and I have noticed a change recently, sorry for re-iterating what's already been discussed at length. I think you made some good oints and suggestions in the OP. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I agree with as. Creativity and the ability to improvise are the keys. If you happen to have an axe to chop wood, good for you, if you don't what then?
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by NCO View Post
    I agree with as. Creativity and the ability to improvise are the keys. If you happen to have an axe to chop wood, good for you, if you don't what then?
    Ya see, this is what I'm talking about. When you have that deep, abiding passion for the Wilderness you study what the indiginous people did way back when. I have cut lots of wood without an ax or using any other type of blade. No I don't cut down trees because that's pretty much illegal here in America, even dead trees. However long tree limbs I use a campfire the way the Native Americans used to. Using the small & short thicker pieces of wood around you, you start a fire. Once it gets going good you then have two choices to cut it, anybody want to say what they would do?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by NCO View Post
    Ya see, this is what I'm talking about. When you have that deep, abiding passion for the Wilderness you study what the indiginous people did way back when. I have cut lots of wood without an ax or using any other type of blade. No I don't cut down trees because that's pretty much illegal here in America, even dead trees. However long tree limbs I use a campfire the way the Native Americans used to. Using the small & short thicker pieces of wood around you, you start a fire. Once it gets going good you then have two choices to cut it, anybody want to say what that would be?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin