Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids Survival

You know the effects of dehydration. Here in the Midwest, water is plentiful. Clean water is not. Drink all you want and purify all you drink.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When I was a small child, going out into the "wilderness" was basically a five minute walk from our back door. I started wandering off into the bush when I was still a toddler. Years later, my mom told me that she'd worry about me and my dad would respond "don't worry, he'll come back when he gets hungry"

When I was 6, my oldest brother started taking me small game hunting with a .22. Our second trip, we were probably about 5 miles from home and he found a nice spot and got me to help him build the fire, showing me how it's done, then handed me the .22 and told me that if I wanted lunch, I had to go get it. I did. One rabbit and one grouse. He taught me how to cook them on a spit.

I had pretty much the same attitude with my boys when they were small and when they got a bit older, around 7 and 8, I went out with them to see what they'd learned on their own and what I could help them with. In this day and age, I don't think parents can let their kids wander around like that so much, there's often worse than animals lurking in woodland areas, but here's something that can be fun for the adult. Take a kid out for a couple of miles hike, do the campfire and meal in the bush thing with the kid and then say "OK, you lead the way home." Most people will be mildy but pleasantly surprised at how well the child does, my memory seems to serve that the perspective I had as a child I probably paid more attention to my surroundings than I do now.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

That's odd. My wife does that quite a bit. I always manage to find my way home. Good skill.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's odd. My wife does that quite a bit. I always manage to find my way home. Good skill.
    Really,Rick? Or is she just always telling you to get lost? ROTFLMAO
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

No. She just drives out a ways and says something like, "See what that is on the side of the road." Then drives off while I'm out checking. That woman is such a practical jokester.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    No. She just drives out a ways and says something like, "See what that is on the side of the road." Then drives off while I'm out checking. That woman is such a practical jokester.
    Maybe she just thinks you need a bit more exercise..you know, chasing the car down the road

Hmmm. Good point. I am a bit of a Johny Butterbut with back fat on my arms (that is how Beo describes it, isn't it? He's soooo poetic).

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Or maybe she just wants a few minutes at home w/ the guys who fixed the piping.....

you never know
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

I have a sofa in "Spacious Chocolate" with Sage Piping but I didn't know it had any problems.

stop mis-interpreting what I say!

forget it AP,Rick is the master mis-interpreter LMAO!

He was warned. He writes it. We mis-interpret it. It's what we do.

Yup and you're the master

While I do appreciate the cudos, Trax has a keen sense of word twisting. Although it might be the cold to blame with him. I'm just a slight bit tetched that way.

you're tetched in the head alright

I don't understand....what's AP doing on Rick's sofa? Spacious Chocolate with Sage piping sounds lovely. Is that where you enjoy your afternoon "fruity infusion" tea?

Trax,do you REALY want the answer to that???

only if it isn't rated anything worse than pg13, this is a family forum.

well, I am obviously waiting for his wife to come home w/o him so I can run away w/ her to mexico and start a farm of buffalo which I would bulldozer

duh

There's definitely some bull here. That much I'm certain of.