Thread: Feedback regarding a car...

Default Feedback regarding a car...

Hey...so how hard is it to find parts for a 1997 Oldsmobile? I'm asking...because I MAY have a sweet deal on a cutlas that only has 13000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. If I will have a headache getting it FIXED if something breaks...it will be a no-go. Thoughts?
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

That would be indead a sweet deal......Most any parts store would carry parts for it I would guess.
    Let me guess, "Only driven to church by a little old lady".......

Have it checked out, and see if anything went to heck just sitting around.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool And...

If your parts store don't have them...:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Keep in mind...if something happens to this car...being from a debunked company...I would have to rely on a my mechanic to do the work and the footwork. Keeping that in mind...will that make it far too expensive to do repairs?
    Last edited by Trabitha; 05-28-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

I don't know about Oldsmobile parts, but I do know that a lot of parts for a 94 Jeep grand Cherokee aren't even available thru the Chrysler / Jeep dealer.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Trab, dont be afraid of it being an Olds, they are all punched out of the same GM parts from about 96 -01. The only difference is the body. I've run this same drive train in a Pontiac and in a Chevy. My only word of caution is the motor gaskets are junk in them and if it has been sitting, your going to loose the intake and head gaskets pretty soon.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Getting it repaired shouldn't be a problem. Should be easy for any mechanic familiar with newer cars to repair that one. Parts should be readily available at independant parts suppliers.

I would take it to a shop and have them inspect it carefully. Also check the background of the vehicle to see how many owners it has had. (I believe you can do that on the web.) If it's had a lot of different owners run from the deal as fast as you can.

Thanks! That's really the stuff I was worried about.
    I know it's only had one owner. The old couple that traded it in, were the only owners. All the numbers match on the hubs, so we know there was no body damage...and the lot that got it on the trade, owes my parents so I'm getting first dibs. It's in the shop now to get a once over...but he's now thinking he wants to put it on the lot for 8900.00...when KB puts it no more than 4500.00 retail. (based on excellent condition and and 13000 miles) Bottom line...basically I told him that I know what it's worth and I have no issue walking away from it if he won't budge on the price. Gonna give him a couple of days to see what's all wrong with it, (if anything) and if he wants to bring it down to 6500.00 and give me 2000.00 for my trade...I'll nab it and not feel so much like I got scammed. LOL!

This dude started out a LOT lower for sticker...and then got greedy. I can't stand greedy people...

Thanks everyone! Feel a lot more confident with dickering now!
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Tee, never forget the power of cash. The green stuff in big bundles is very hard for a greedy type to resist and start negotiations as low as the book price incuding your trade-in vehicle then take it from there.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I bought a 98 Olds Intrigue 6 years ago for $3200 and that was in Alaska. The car was in great shape and was very dependable. Drove like a dream. It's sitting in my drive way and needs a power steering pump and a heater motor switch but I am getting that fixed in the next couple of weeks so I can sell it. It wont work for me anymore simply because I need a 4 wheel drive to get in and out of my drive way and it has low clearance which also wont work for me. But when I lived in town the front wheel drive got me where ever I needed to go even with lots of snow and ice. Good luck.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    Thanks! That's really the stuff I was worried about.
    I know it's only had one owner. The old couple that traded it in, were the only owners. All the numbers match on the hubs, so we know there was no body damage...and the lot that got it on the trade, owes my parents so I'm getting first dibs. It's in the shop now to get a once over...but he's now thinking he wants to put it on the lot for 8900.00...when KB puts it no more than 4500.00 retail. (based on excellent condition and and 13000 miles) Bottom line...basically I told him that I know what it's worth and I have no issue walking away from it if he won't budge on the price. Gonna give him a couple of days to see what's all wrong with it, (if anything) and if he wants to bring it down to 6500.00 and give me 2000.00 for my trade...I'll nab it and not feel so much like I got scammed. LOL!

This dude started out a LOT lower for sticker...and then got greedy. I can't stand greedy people...

Thanks everyone! Feel a lot more confident with dickering now!
    I wouldnt give $4500 for it! It's 15 model years old! Dont get to excited over the low miles, cars run forever now! I dont have anything in the yard under 100K and I'm not afraid to drive any of them anyplace. Remember this too, if you get into an accident, that thing is going to get totaled (because of the age) and you will be hunting for a new one without a paid loaner and with very little buy back money!

I sold my 2000 Impala 2 years ago for $1500 in good running condition...there are better deals out there!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+1 Camp on all points.

Good points all around. My father thinks it's a great car...but the more I think about it...the more I think I may be better off in the long one if I find a better deal. Especially if this man refuses to come down to a fair price. Thanks everyone!
    - St. Augustine

- Thomas Jefferson

Waaaaaaay over priced. Either the seller is going after a collector or preying on you with that price. There are much better deals to be had for transportation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I wouldnt give $4500 for it! It's 15 model years old! Dont get to excited over the low miles, cars run forever now! I dont have anything in the yard under 100K and I'm not afraid to drive any of them anyplace. Remember this too, if you get into an accident, that thing is going to get totaled (because of the age) and you will be hunting for a new one without a paid loaner and with very little buy back money!

I sold my 2000 Impala 2 years ago for $1500 in good running condition...there are better deals out there!

Wow, tell them you want to dirve it, not "collect" it......Way too much, I was thinking on about $2000 tops..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can't see you having a hard time finding parts for any GM product, but...in this day and age who knows.

But, I would strongly suggest cutting out the middleman and buying direct from an owner. Why pay a dealer and salesman a few extra grand for something that can be had elsewhere for much less, saving you money, and letting the much wiser previous owner make a few extra bucks as well, rahter than trade in.

I personally don't think a 15 year old vehicle is worth near what the blue book or price you said he's considering, especially if it was owned by an old couple, unless they drove like a young couple, might want to check the exhaust and intake for mouse nests.

FWIW! I was thinking around 2000 tops as well.