Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the steel freaks.

Default Question for the steel freaks.

Between Case carbon steel blades and a Swiss Army Knife's stainless blades what do you think holds it's edge longer, gets the sharpest, and sharpens easier? I can't really tell. I've heard defense for both. What do you think?
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

The Case. The SAK's are easy to sharpen though.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

A lot will depend on the heat tread, but when you have very thin blade material it is usually reasonably easy to sharpen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    A lot will depend on the heat tread, but when you have very thin blade material it is usually reasonably easy to sharpen.
    With the high quality known to come from both companies, lets assume both have a proper heat treat with similar blade thickness. Which one holds the edge longer, stays sharp longer, and is easiest to touch up? Common Crash, you're a knife Guru, pick one. I know you are one of the folks here best to answer this.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

Blog Entries

I havent tested this but my theory is case carbon gets sharper but swiss stainless holds the edge longer. It is usually the case between ss and carbon. I am not sure what steel type is used in those two knives though.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    With the high quality known to come from both companies, lets assume both have a proper heat treat with similar blade thickness. Which one holds the edge longer, stays sharp longer, and is easiest to touch up? Common Crash, you're a knife Guru, pick one. I know you are one of the folks here best to answer this.
    You give me way too much credit. I'm just a guy that likes to make sparks. I can't give you a definitive answer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In my experience, the old Case XX carbon steel is easier to sharpen and gets sharper, but the SAK will hold the edge longer, but not by enough to be really significant. I just wish they still offered those.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    In my experience, the old Case XX carbon steel is easier to sharpen and gets sharper, but the SAK will hold the edge longer, but not by enough to be really significant. I just wish they still offered those.
    Pocomoon, I've got good news. Case does still offer a handful of carbon steel models. Some yellow resin scales, some red bone scales, and some amber bone scales. Maybe others too by now but that was last I saw. Good prices too. I believe a yellow resin scaled carbon steel medium stockman is about $35.00. The bone scales carbon steel medium stockman go for about $45.00. Not bad for a knife that will last a lifetime.

I just got a new washing machine and dryer delivered a couple of days ago so I decided to use my resources (2 huge boxes) and do a cut test. First both the Case and the SAK were made RAZOR sharp on an Arkansas wet stone (fine grade) and stroped. After about 25 minutes of equal amounts of cutting and two boxes rendered into confetti, I have come to a conclusion about the edge holding ability between the two. I STILL CAN'T TELL A DIFFERENCE!!!!! They are both absolutely great pocket knives. The Case did resharpen slightly easier though but so small of an amount as to be a non issue. It could even have been my imagination after the power of suggestion stepped in and said "The Case should sharpen easier". Back to square one......
    Last edited by glockcop; 05-24-2011 at 11:56 PM.

ease of sharpening and durability of edge are at cross purposes. which degree of compromise you desire will depend on your needs in a knife blade and your personal experience in using them. i strongly prefer a blade which is as hard as the toughness of the task it is put to will allow. this can be had in many stainless alloys (though not to such an extent in the more common low end ones used in knives), simple carbon alloy or high alloy (such as tool steels), as can nearly any degree of compromise the other way.

my experience with nearly all production knives outside of the specialty markets is that they are all softer than ideal. cheap stainless knives generally more-so. there's no point in a knife which takes a near razor edge easily if it won't hold that edge through a single task. in those cases, just a more resonable edge job will usually improve things dramatically. do you need to do prep shaving and then turn around and perform surgery with it?

will you need to use it as a lever, pry paint cans open or do gouging work with it's tip?

if you need and edge which is durable and very sharp it will be hard to sharpen and less tough. if you need a blade that will sharpen easily and stand the abuse of torque and leverage it will be less hard. that's nearly all there is to it; adding that many of the simple steels and fancier alloys can be a little better at both ends for their given heat treatment.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

The SAK I got from Sarge sharpens quite easily for SS, I've never owned a Case that I can recall. But, compared to a Buck, the SAK sharpens much easier, but the Buck holds an edge WAY longer.

glockcop, if you really want to determine which is better, you need a larger sample size. That will help to eliminate the human error.

Canid, I completely agree. Too bad we can't get a pocket knife with two different blades, one super sharp and hard, and one tougher and easy to sharpen.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

there might be a market for that. maybe a slip-joint razor, everyday-user combo? maybe somebody already does that, but whether or no, it's a good idea.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Well this is my First post and in MHO I guess Swiss army knives ( SAK ) are not only good as far keeping the edge
    but you also have a hole range of tools you can pick to suit your needs...
    PLUS as you know they are stainless that will help a lot with rust. What keep the edge longer is the way you use
    a knife...just think about that....
    M.TEX

yeah; if you store it in a noble gas atmosphere and don't use it it'll hold it's edge forever. for the real world, a proper heat treatment and a proper steel for the job is the ticket.

I just made an important discovery last night. Both carbon steel and stainless steel are equally capable of filletting your thumb open if the blade happens to slip while cutting a hard apple with your Case Stockman while watching T.V. Oooouuuucccchhhhh! Anybody got a spare bandaid?!!! Darn thing is still bleeding if you look at it wrong.
    Last edited by glockcop; 06-03-2011 at 09:52 AM.

i love when that happens. i can't seem to go a week without lacerating or or perforating myself somehow.

I just made an important discovery last night. Both carbon steel and stainless steel are equally capable of filletting your thumb open if the blade happens to slip while cutting a hard apple with your Case Stockman while watching T.V. Oooouuuucccchhhhh! Anybody got a spare bandaid?!!! Darn thing is still bleeding if you look at it wrong.
    I learned very quickly when I started making knives to always keep a few bandaids in my wallet. Kind of reminds me of my younger days when I used to carry.....never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I learned very quickly when I started making knives to always keep a few bandaids in my wallet. Kind of reminds me of my younger days when I used to carry.....never mind.
    I know where that was going . My mom never believed that I kept them in there to use as water balloons. Man, was that an awkward moment. But that's another story. Hehehehe.

Pocomoon, I've got good news. Case does still offer a handful of carbon steel models. Some yellow resin scales, some red bone scales, and some amber bone scales. Maybe others too by now but that was last I saw. Good prices too. I believe a yellow resin scaled carbon steel medium stockman is about $35.00. The bone scales carbon steel medium stockman go for about $45.00. Not bad for a knife that will last a lifetime.
    I did better than that. I found an old Case XX mini trapper at the annual "400 mile yard sale" this weekend. it had minor rust on the edge, and one tiny pin prick sized rust spot on the spine, so small I missed it twice in looking it over. $35 was the asking price.

After cleaning and sharpening.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen