Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit/squirrel... Soup\stew

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Problem with definitions I think. Foxes and reds around here are the same thing. Yes, I know they are different but we don't have reds so that's just how folks refer to them.
    Thats how we have always classified them. We just called the red ones reds and the mixed colored ones Black/Gray or Black/Gray/and white we just referred to as foxes. And these are about 3 times bigger then the grays! The small red ones being talked about above, I have never seen these before.
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Problem with definitions I think. Foxes and reds around here are the same thing. Yes, I know they are different but we don't have reds so that's just how folks refer to them.
    Us Hoosiers don't have those little red squirrels those are more like chipmunks (speaking of eating wires chipmunks love wire). If it is red it is a red squirrel, if it is grey it is a grey squirrel. Hoosiers are people of logic and reason.....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The small red ones being talked about above, I have never seen these before.
    If you've ever met one, you'd remember. They are very territorial, squack at ya' for 30 minutes or more, ruin a deer stand. More meat than a ground squirrel.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I have used this recipe many times while camping.

Squirrel or rabbit, whichever is snared or shot first.

IF AVAILABLE: lightly dredge in flour and fry just to brown outside in the pot to be used for cooking stew. This adds extra flavor.
    If time allows, you can pulverize the root of cattail and let it dry, then pound to a powder, this can be used as a flour of sorts, and will double as a thickener, just make sure not to burn it!!

Add water, and ingredients gathered throughout the day, which generally include: wild onion, assorted mushrooms (morels, reds, chicken of the woods, etc), wild garlic, wild carrot, wild parsley, purslane, cattail root, young polk, and whatever else I find that is edible and will add flavor.

Set pot to boil and let boil at a medium pace for about 2-3 hours, stir regularly. If you want it thicker, use more of the dried pulverized cattail root. I am a salt-aholic, a lack of it will set off seizures in me, so I carry salt in ALL my packs and make sure I have plenty when I go camping, so I know I always have plenty to add to stews.

When a few of hours have pased, and the stew is thickened, you will find the meat has tenderized very well and is falling off the bone. You have a very nutritious and filling meal ALL from nature...except my salt of course...unless you are somewhere that you can harvest even this ingredient!!

While the food is cooking, you can be setting up camp, gathering extra firewood, etc. When all your work is complete, you will find the food is ready and you are set for the evening!! Just keep in mind, as you go about your daily plans in the wilds...always keep your eyes open for foods you can gather to add to your nightly meal!! And if you cover the pot and store it properly (hanging high in a tree...you might even have enough to warm up for a delicious breakfast to go along with any bird eggs or other things you might find to have early in the day!!

Add some (individually or combined) pine needle or wild rose hip tea with a dab of honey or honeysuckle flowers to sweeten it and you have a healthy hot good morning drink!!
    Last edited by Dink; 01-15-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES!!!!