Thread: survival warning from animals

Default survival warning from animals

One of the best ways to learn how to survive, particularly when confronted with unexpected and sudden catastrophes like a tsunami, earthquake or whatever you might imagine is to see and interpret the actions of wild animals.

the next time i see the deer floating by outside my window i'll know to look out for those tsunamis

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Animal warning....

Domestic animals will always give warnings. A canary in the mines will warn of gas(but only one time) Rats will head for the surface if a slate fall or roof collapse is going to happen. Old miners relied on these two before modern equipment was available.

Animals do have a second sense about things like weather that can help you a lot if you learn to read them. I was out week before last on the approach of a cold front and there were no animals moving about. None. Not even birds. I knew the weather forecast but the clouds and the animals simply reinforced the forecast.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

This is so true, animals are great if in the wilds for predicting weather, but make sure they're gong to ground because of weather and not from you tromping into their area. As Rick said you need to learn to read the animals.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

It doesn't take a heck of a lot, really. Watch for animals/birds nesting early, that's the surest sign of a storm approaching. Fish will even start jumping at bait earlier in the afternoon when a storm's brewing, don't ask me how they know but it happens. In the fall if you're out in an area with beavers and muskrats, check how they're building their lodges, specially beavers because they're way better builders than muskrats. If they seem higher than normal above the water, expect lots of snow. Check out flocks of geese when they're getting ready to head south, if you're in an area where they gather they'll spend weeks doing training and practice flights in small flocks. If those flocks start getting way bigger and those practice flights taking longer, it's going to freeze early.

If you're standing outside studying these things and find that you're all wet, or freezing cold...it's too late.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

snakes will burrow into the ground birds will stop chirping pretty much the rule is when the forest is dead there is a chance you might end up dead lol

Snakes don't burrow but, yeah, I get your point.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.