Thread: Anyone know a good source for leather?

Default Anyone know a good source for leather?

I need some good thick leather for making knife sheaths.

Anyone have a source?

Blog Entries

Texas knifemakers supply sells some, and Tandy might on their website.

I've got a Tandy Leather store not too far from where I live. They have quite a few locations. Here's a store locator for them http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/storesearch.aspx Of course you can always get some on line (I never have).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Problem is, Im not sure what I need . I would know it if I felt it, but it needs to be thicker than what my craft store sells.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I've got a Tandy Leather store not too far from where I live. They have quite a few locations. Here's a store locator for them http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/storesearch.aspx Of course you can always get some on line (I never have).

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post
    Problem is, Im not sure what I need . I would know it if I felt it, but it needs to be thicker than what my craft store sells.
    Neither did I the first time I went in. I explained what I wanted to do and the owner was very helpful. We spent about an hour talking. He let me practice a bit with some scraps. - helps to go when they aren't busy. Can't say that all owners will be that helpful, but it's worth a try.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jeff - Someone earlier suggested using old leather boots picked up at a thrift shop like Goodwill. Just another option.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

There is 6-7 ounce for regular sheaths and 8-9 ounce for thick sheaths. I have some 8-9 ounces and it is kind of thick, but crashdive is right talk to the owneers and they should help you in deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post
    I need some good thick leather for making knife sheaths.

Anyone have a source?

COW's

Have you thought about Kydex for a knife sheath? It is a thermo-moldable plastic. It is very easy to work with and you don't have to worry about punching through the sheath as you put your knife into the sheath.
    I know what hunts you.

Just Google "Rendezvous". Lots of links to sources for leather of various grades. Mountain man reenactors need their leather. Also, www.majorsurplus.com has leather bellys for $9.95. or belly, repair bag of smaller assorted pieces, and an awl for $19.95. Have ordered from them previously with good results. Have not tried this leather tho...
    You are your dog's best friend....

Yep, Im considering Kydex as well! Simple as softening the kydex with a heater and molding it right?? I like the look of Kydex on some knives. But not all. (my opinion of course). I suppose Kydex is the superior choice for field work, but there is something traditional and cool about a nice leather sheath.

This is my main field knife... I just dont think it would look goof in Kydex.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Have you thought about Kydex for a knife sheath? It is a thermo-moldable plastic. It is very easy to work with and you don't have to worry about punching through the sheath as you put your knife into the sheath.

I get mine from "The Leather Guy" on Ebay. I buy scrap by the 5 and 10 lb lots. I get varying thicknesses and use it for all kinds of projects.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I'm no authority on it but I understand Kydex can crack in cold weather. Just a thought.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Likely not an issue here in the Southeast... Heck, this week the issue would be the darn heat! ITS HOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm no authority on it but I understand Kydex can crack in cold weather. Just a thought.

Cool leather

Believe it or not, if you dont have to have to big a piece. Go to a saddle maker or someone that works in leather usually they will sell scraps very cheap. I have a leather shop in amarillo that has tons of scraps for 3 -7 dollars depending on size.

For leather at good prices, check out Demers leather, they are in Lewiston, Maine.
    I know what hunts you.

I use The Leather Guy from Minnesota.

I've bought every thing form whole red hair on cow, Buffalo robe, book binding leather, belt harness, Elk and buck. Great service and prices.

http://www.theleatherguy.org/

I looked for a web site for demers leather and couldn't find one. DO you know if they are still in business?
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Not sure about prices being a lot better, but this guy will sell it by the square foot. Intead of having to buy a shoulder, i think a square foot is around 10 bucks. http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Jeff - Someone earlier suggested using old leather boots picked up at a thrift shop like Goodwill. Just another option.
    You beat me to it but I would add those fancy tooled Mexican purses too and maybe not for sheaths but sheeple often throw out leather couches when the cushions wear out but the backs are often in good shape and are large pieces