Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best paracord survival bracelet? -firesteel, tinder, scraper and sling

Default Best paracord survival bracelet? -firesteel, tinder, scraper and sling

If you have ever seen some of my paracord work, you’ll recognize that I always seek to be innovative and unique. I rarely do paracord “survival bracelets” because I find most of them boring to make and typically lacking any real utilitarian value. Sure with some effort on the most common bracelets, you could untie it and get 10’-12’ of paracord. If someone wandered away from camp and got lost with empty pockets, the clothes on their back and their paracord bracelet, they could use the cordage to save valuable time in rigging a shelter. What about fire? Do you think the average person is realistically going to use the paracord to make a bow drill fire?
    In the spirit of Paracordist innovation, I’ve been thinking about making a truly unique AND useful bracelet for some time now. How could I integrate firesteel, scraper and tinder? What about I.D. and/or critical medical information that could make the difference between life and death? How can I get more cord in a typical bracelet yet make it easy to untie? How can I do this and make it attractive, comfortable, renewable, affordable and suitable for everyday wear? Well here it is, I think I’ve done all that and more!
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

• Bracelet weave uses about 25% more cord than a cobra stitch of the same length (unless of course you use cobra back and forth until you have an absurd thick and uncomfy bracelet)

• Single cord construction, easily unravel

• 3/8" diameter firesteel cut to 1" acts as button for loop closure

• I.D. plate is made by my friend Bucketosudz from Artisan Attributes, specifically for this creation. Plate has square ground edges which double as effective scraper for the fireseel.

• I.D. plate can be engraved or decorated. I'm thinking I.D. info or critical medical info.

• Single or double thread of jute runs through top of bracelet (8"-16") it is only on top so not uncomfy to the wrist. Removable for tinder.

BONUS: Finally, seeing the finished prototype I realize it can be used as a rock sling. The bracelet is 1" wide, so not a typical sling pocket but it will work with carefully selected rocks. I have to test this. I'll let you know how it works out!

Very slick idea. I like it!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice and innovative!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Here it is without the scraper. Checkout the baby spear fishing on the food jar LOL.

here is the schematic for those wondering!

Nice work I like this. Sssooooo...what would it cost to get a couple of them made.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Probably best to handle that via PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Probably best to handle that via PM.
    OK....sorry.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

No biggie. I've done some trades with him. He's a stand up guy - we just don't want to violate or appear to violate forum WSF etiquette.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No biggie. I've done some trades with him. He's a stand up guy - we just don't want to violate or appear to violate forum WSF etiquette.
    I got ya, didn't think about that before I posted it.

Wow, a firesteel for the button. That is pretty cool, and definitely innovative.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Nice...
    Very NICE!
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

Thanks for input. I just learned my generation II scraper plates are on the way. Soon I'll be able to do a test scenario on video!

Banned
    Blog Entries

we just don't want to violate or appear to violate forum WSF etiquette.
    "WHAT"....We gots us some "etiquette", when did that start.....?

Shhhhhhhhhhh. I found it out back behind the dumpster.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ok, I'm gonna call this creation the B.S.B. (Best Survival Bracelet); "others are just B.S." ha ha ha no offense, it just came to me LOL.

I've got the perfect scraper - just arrived today. My bud from Artisian Attributes has send me a second generation scraper that more than addresses all my comments on the first one. I was prepared to sacrifice scraping ability for the "look" as long as I could indeed start a fire with it. I'm stoked that not only does this scraper look great on the bracelet, it actually generates sparks as good as any scraper I've used before!

I stripped down the original bracelet of jute and scraper. Rather than miss an opportunity to film; I create this video showing you how to "recharge" the B.S.B. (add fresh jute and reattach scraper after a use). Obviously, this is not intended to be your primary firesteel and scraper - you won't be doing this after every hike or camping trip I HOPE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRfNTY-fQ4

My next video will be showing the creation of fire with nothing else but this bracelet; no tools, no knife.

LOOK AT THE SCHEMATIC A FEW POSTS AGO; LOOK AT THIS VIDEO. GO MAKE ONE. SURVIVE!

Great tutorial. I've got the bracelet - might need to change the fastener and add the jute. Thanks.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So here are some pics of the final version with the perfect scraper; rounded no snag edges; smoother hole and ends that won't wear jute as quickly; squared sides that really scrape:

Here's one I just did in digital ACU paracord, never used this color before but I think its a nice combo w/ the natural jute.