Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to enliven this sleepy forum.......?

The Alaska Outdoor forum is to complicated. I figured out how to make a post there on a sking thread and never could find it again. Way to much advertising to find the threads.

and what does "loyal profound wisdom" mean?
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 05-20-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Things always seem to go quiet this time of year. Lowkey said it, the weather is improving and folk are more likely to be putting their "boots in the field" rather than their fingers on the keyboard.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?
    You of ALL people shouldn't back off! Why would you?
    I've got most of your show 'n tell posts bookmarked and I know people appreciate your knowledge (look at all the green dots!) and your easy-to-follow way of imparting it.
    Personally, I don't see a problem but then I'm not on any other forums (can't judge)--simply don't have the time. I read what I like, respond when I have something to say and ignore the rest which other people might find interesting. Different strokes for different folks. The only other thing I read and like is the Survival blog, but that's certainly not a forum and doesn't require engagement.

The forum here is ingrown. Look at the number of responses under each person's name. They tend to be 1000 and up or very low numbers. New people come in, get hammered by the "establishment" and leave again. The curt responses to "introduce yourself" immediately after a person makes their first post are excessively harsh. The back-and-forth banter between people who've known each other for a long time is okay to a point but few of the threads have any actual intellectual value after the first few posts. They sound more like the "good-ole-boys" shootin' the bull at the pub. This forum is like a lot of established churches. New people are expected to conform and ridiculed for not knowing what's happened in the past ("We've already covered that. Look up the old thread."). They're kind of welcome but not really included. I doub't if it's intentional on anyone here's part. It's just the way things happen when you get a relatively small group of people together for a long time. They become a closed community and it's difficult for others to break in.

Regarding AS's post, "I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?"

These are the kind of things the long-term members should be posting.

AS, I think the Back Off is in regard to what Mosquito..Man said so well. SD didn't mean to stop but stop hammering on Its BEEN POSTED SEARCH IT and perhaps when appropriate direct the discussion with leading questions instead of giving a direct answer or response to encourage participation.

AS, Like Beneese said, I enjoy your posts they are well thought out and whether you are taking a hike or posting a how to, they easy to follow along.

Just my 2.25 cents. (inflation)
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Man oh man. I've never seen so many folks with ruffled feathers.

1. Yes, you are directed to the Introduction section. We have explained this ad infinitum but here you go. Would you walk up to a group of strangers on the street and just start talking? An introduction might be in order. It's just part of the social graces. Same here. It helps to know something about the person claiming to know something or asking a question. Especially important if it involves firearms or sharps. If you don't want to post one then no one bothers you. But suggesting you post an introduction is just a way for us to get to know you.

2. How would you steer folks to the Search button? If you notice, I generally tell a new person that if they can't find the answer then ask. We all understand that a search doesn't secure the answer all of the time. I've seen a lot of folks post, "I did a search but couldn't find...." No one says a word to them. But searching the forum allows folks to learn how to maneuver through the forum, gets them acquainted with some of the posts and just might answer their question. I often post examples of other posts because I know they are out there and it might answer the question or give some other ideas the OP hadn't considered. If that's wrong, so be it.

3. If this forum is sleepy then it's an easy fix. Instead of lamenting why not post something of substance? Chris has made numerous offers for videos and has done a fine job (in my opinion) of adding the capability within the post. Every time someone has made a good suggestion he has incorporated it. At least most of them. I think he does a fine job keeping the forum technically current and improving the overall usability of the forum. When's the last time you posted in the plant database? Posted a video or pictures on "how-to"? Some members do a fantastic job of it. Some don't do anything. There have been give aways to help members, best video of the quarter and on and on.

4. Sorry Sourdough but when you call someone out you do make it personal. Saying it's not doesn't change the fact that you singled them out. If you have examples of when I was a god, shoot them to me. I'm old but I'm still capable of learning a few things.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

1. Yes, you are directed to the Introduction section. We have explained this ad infinitum but here you go. Would you walk up to a group of strangers on the street and just start talking? An introduction might be in order. It's just part of the social graces. Same here. It helps to know something about the person claiming to know something or asking a question. Especially important if it involves firearms or sharps. If you don't want to post one then no one bothers you. But suggesting you post an introduction is just a way for us to get to know you.

2. How would you steer folks to the Search button? If you notice, I generally tell a new person that if they can't find the answer then ask. We all understand that a search doesn't secure the answer all of the time. I've seen a lot of folks post, "I did a search but couldn't find...." No one says a word to them. But searching the forum allows folks to learn how to maneuver through the forum, gets them acquainted with some of the posts and just might answer their question. I often post examples of other posts because I know they are out there and it might answer the question or give some other ideas the OP hadn't considered. If that's wrong, so be it.

3. If this forum is sleepy then it's an easy fix. Instead of lamenting why not post something of substance? Chris has made numerous offers for videos and has done a fine job (in my opinion) of adding the capability within the post. Every time someone has made a good suggestion he has incorporated it. At least most of them. I think he does a fine job keeping the forum technically current and improving the overall usability of the forum. When's the last time you posted in the plant database? Posted a video or pictures on "how-to"? Some members do a fantastic job of it. Some don't do anything. There have been give aways to help members, best video of the quarter and on and on.

4. Sorry Sourdough but when you call someone out you do make it personal. Saying it's not doesn't change the fact that you singled them out. If you have examples of when I was a god, shoot them to me. I'm old but I'm still capable of learning a few things.
    OK, the above post is not the best example, but is pretty good example. I feel like you just (With the above post) made a ruleing, I feel this thread just got closed down, Rick has said how it is, and that is that, thread almost closed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

See Rick, it is unintentional, we (Me included) are trying to help, but we over power and intimidate others. We (Me Included) act as if we have "THE" answer, when infact what we have is an answer. There may be other answers. I just see that "we" are the problem, not the newbies.

Not meaning to take sides (but I know it will appear that way). I understand the points that everybody is making - I really do. As to the asking them to post an intro (since I am one of the guilty parties) - It is not a demand, but merely a request. As most have noticed, the requests are usually tempered with an attempt of humor (playing on the words in their first post). Nobody has been chastised for then going to the intro section and saying ..... just wanted to say hi - I'm new here. For me (can't speak for everybody) - I am uncomfortable giving some advice on a few subjects (not all) without knowing a bit of the background or experience. Some of those subjects include firearms, knife purchases, how to survive a year in the woods with just a knife. I am also a bit dubious of advice I may get from an individual without knowing some of their background. Here's an example --- if a 12 year old from Asbury Park, New Jersey (I grew up near there) told me about "pushing" bears to get them away from you I would not have given their advice any credence whatsoever. As it turns out, that advice came from an experienced Alaskan hunting guide that has had more bear experiences than I will ever hope to have. Not that I'm going to run out and look for a bear to push - but that information is tucked away as credible.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitomountainman View Post
    The forum here is ingrown. Look at the number of responses under each person's name. They tend to be 1000 and up or very low numbers. New people come in, get hammered by the "establishment" and leave again. The curt responses to "introduce yourself" immediately after a person makes their first post are excessively harsh. The back-and-forth banter between people who've known each other for a long time is okay to a point but few of the threads have any actual intellectual value after the first few posts. They sound more like the "good-ole-boys" shootin' the bull at the pub. This forum is like a lot of established churches. New people are expected to conform and ridiculed for not knowing what's happened in the past ("We've already covered that. Look up the old thread."). They're kind of welcome but not really included. I doub't if it's intentional on anyone here's part. It's just the way things happen when you get a relatively small group of people together for a long time. They become a closed community and it's difficult for others to break in.

Regarding AS's post, "I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?"

These are the kind of things the long-term members should be posting.
    I agree on ALL points. Including the last point.

Seriously? I post some explanations and ask a question and I've closed down the thread?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

how about this....we do a little test...for the next month- nobody encourage newbies to use the search feature, and no one say "post an intro of yourself" in the first 25 posts by the newbie.
    Also, lets try to not squash anyones dreams, delusions or crack-pot plans until they have made 25 posts, and lets see if this place comes back to life
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    how about this....we do a little test...for the next month- nobody encourage newbies to use the search feature, and no one say "post an intro of yourself" in the first 25 posts by the newbie.
    Also, lets try to not squash anyones dreams, delusions or crack-pot plans until they have made 25 posts, and lets see if this place comes back to life
    I have no problem with that. It may mean that I do not respond to posts of some of the newer members - but that may be a good thing in some people's opinion.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Seriously? I post some explanations and ask a question and I've closed down the thread?
    I don't think so,,,, I think the main thing is that people in general do not like to be put down or embarrassed,,, by anybody,,

Out of the first thirty posts on this thread only four are from people wth less than 900 previous posts. The forum is ingrown. New people don't feel as if they are a part of it. I've seen instances where new people were ridiculed and they left then long-term members made jokes about it. This is a clear warning to new members who didn't post that they are outsiders and have little value as members. Why should they post if they aren't going to be treated with respect?

I've struck up conversations with a lot of people without going into a long introduction or listing my "credentials." If I think they're worth the trouble I'll give more personal information later. If they're wackos or just full of themselves why waste my time with introductions. Most of those I'm familiar with see anyone who begins a conversation about themselves as jerks. If you read the introductions few people give much pertinant information anyway. Maybe things are done differently in other parts of the country.

I've used the search feature and come up with threads that were multple pages long. In addition many searches offer several different threads on the same subject. Who has time to read fifty pages of comments to see if a question has been answered before? Especially when over half the responses are banter between long-term members. It's like trying to break into a family conversation when you're the outsider in the group. It might be interesting to listen in on but is largely irrelevant to the question posed. When you deal with the time needed for loading each page it's not worth looking at old threads.

The forum is sleepy because there're not enough new members on it asking questions. When new members do ask questions they're told to go to the search feature and find the answers there. If they have an opinion different than that expressed by current members they're ridiculed. You who have been here awhile feel safe in your relationships with each other. New people don't. "Old" members should be posting about things they've done or are doing. They should be answering new people politely, encouraging their participation, and making them feel welcome and valued.

Sourdough; you may have opened a can of worms but it was one that needed to be opened.

Since I've been a member, this can of worms has been opened a few times. Nothing wrong with that at all. It will cause me (and I'm sure others) to take a look at how they are interacting with new members.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe we need to ask why do new members come here.......? See I don't think most come here to learn, I think a lot of office worker people come here to be entertained by first hand accounts like Alaskan Survivalist and many others would post, but mostly they just want to be entertained. Yes, they dream of a life of adventure, but deep inside they know that they will never truely embrace it.

Many who join say they want to learn, but I suspect they just wanted to learn a few "Bullet Point" type things, and when they grasp the size of this subject, the amount of knowledge required, they are chest'fallen and give up the quest.

Most likely this subject "Wilderness Survival" was one more passing fancy for a bored society, like bungee jumping, LSD, Hot rods, Disco dancing. I think the broad masses have largely moved on to the next social distraction from the empty disappointing existence they call life. Ouch.....that stung.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-20-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Wait just a minute three mister. Disco dancing a passing fancy?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Maybe we need to ask why do new members come here.......? See I don't think most come here to learn, I think a lot of office worker people come here to be entertained by first hand accounts like Alaskan Survivalist and many others would post, but mostly they just want to be entertained.

I suspect that many who join say they want to learn, but I suspect they just wanted to learn a few "Bullet Point" type things, and when they grasp the size of this subject, the amount of knowledge required, they are chest'fallen and give up the quest.

Most likely this subject "Wilderness Survival" was one more passing fancy for a bored society, like bungee jumping, LSD, Hot rods, Disco dancing. I think the broad masses have largely moved on to the next social distraction from the empty disappointing existence they call life. Ouch.....that stung.
    "Maybe we need to ask why do new members come here.......?"

In my opinion that's the best question yet. I can't speak for anyone else but I was attracted by the words "Wilderness Forum." I expected to see people who were living or practicing different aspects of wilderness life and skills. I want to learn things I don't know, meet people with similar interests, and hopefully, contribute things I do know. I'm not a neophyte at this. I don't like flashing a pedigree so people will "value" what I say because I'm not impressed by pedigrees. I want to see what they know and what they do. That takes time and participation. I have no doubt some come here to just live vicariously through the experiences of others. I don't have a problem with that. Even I do it to an extent. I love the Alaska blogs and the responses of people who live in the "bush." I live that way myself but it's more of a "lower 48" experience.

Many who read this forum will never experience life in the "bush" or live off-grid but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't feel welcome and safe here. Maybe another question to ask would be why the long term members come here? You are the people in control so I would assume that you've made this forum into what it is today. What do you get out of being here?