Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to enliven this sleepy forum.......?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Ideas to enliven this sleepy forum.......?

Looking for Ideas on how to put some life (Postings) into this forum. Other than saying "Hello and Welcome to the Forum" to the new members, there is little to post too here. Maybe it is the nature of the subject matter here, maybe we have touched all the bases and all knowledge is in the archives, maybe it is the matrix of the members. I just find it odd that there can be "No new posts" for several hours in the middle of the day or early evening. What say you........???

I say many times a new member will post a question and get a "use the search feature" maybe that is a good thing because it keeps new posts cutting edge so to speak. On the other hand maybe further discussion on a subject pushes boundaries and develops neural grooves in the cerebral cortex. LOL.

It's a good question though, that I don't have a answer for.

I, too, have seen a lack of member precipitation. I think some of it is when new members asks a question, they are often directed to use the search function. Yes, we may have been over it before, but we need to keep the forum adapting and staying in motion instead of just looking into the archives. Another thing it may be is that people are now getting bored to the idea of survival since we now have media pushing the concept in any which way it can and has been doing so for a couple of years now.

I am a member of two other forums that I still check up on. But this one is the one I first started really posting on and still call home.

To generate more posts, how about a monthly challenge? Doesn't have to be hard so it can be something like starting a fire with a firesteel, hiking 5 miles in a day, staying overnight in the woods that's not a park. For the more experienced members, we can have a harder challenge every three months like creating a friction fire or making your own gear like bowls. This could serve as a background of a skill in which we should make posts as we progress on that skill.

Another thing I'd like to do is to have a local gathering of not only socializing, but having demonstrations and teaching sessions. Spread good times AND knowledge.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas come to me later.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I think it's more that the weather is nicer and people are spending less time in front of their computers.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I, too, have seen a lack of member precipitation. I think some of it is when new members asks a question, they are often directed to use the search function. Yes, we may have been over it before, but we need to keep the forum adapting and staying in motion instead of just looking into the archives. Another thing it may be is that people are now getting bored to the idea of survival since we now have media pushing the concept in any which way it can and has been doing so for a couple of years now.

I am a member of two other forums that I still check up on. But this one is the one I first started really posting on and still call home.

To generate more posts, how about a monthly challenge? Doesn't have to be hard so it can be something like starting a fire with a firesteel, hiking 5 miles in a day, staying overnight in the woods that's not a park. For the more experienced members, we can have a harder challenge every three months like creating a friction fire or making your own gear like bowls. This could serve as a background of a skill in which we should make posts as we progress on that skill.

Another thing I'd like to do is to have a local gathering of not only socializing, but having demonstrations and teaching sessions. Spread good times AND knowledge.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas come to me later.
    I don't think I have ever seen a member rain (but seriously,,,, good ideas )

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    "...staying overnight in the woods that's not a park..."
    Here in Illinois they call that "trespassing!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yet but another reason to not live in Illinois.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's Springtime SD. If I'm not working and it's not raining too hard, I wanna be outside.

I don't post a lot of questions here as I'm not sure if they've been asked a hundred times. The search function in BB edit leaves a lot to be desired and often I can't get it to work the way I want it to. I have a lot of questions on firearms and the various kinds of ammunition and reloading and black powder and hunting and other stuff but afraid to ask. Didn't grow up with them so learning piecemeal, mostly still learning what questions to ask so I don't sound the complete idiot that I probably am. And I've learned a lot going back through a lot of the posts here.

The afraid to ask part is probably part of the problem.

RX, I don't think skills challenges on a forum work so much. Things like that are more face-to-face involvement. It's sorta like how no one here likes to play what-if "games". But someone going out and doing something then reporting back (with pics) then doing a question/answer is far more interesting. At least to me. It allows involvement of the unskilled at a level of student and teacher rather than Noob vs. Grizzly Bear.
    Last edited by LowKey; 05-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.

The skills challenge doesn't have to be a contest. It can just be another way to get boots in the field, and then post about it. A way that I've seen it done, and what RX may be referring to is to pick a few different ideas and post a poll. Everybody that wants to participate vote. The winning skill or project is done by all. Pictures (if you are able) and descriptions follow so that those that could not participate can share in the knowledge.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool All right!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The skills challenge doesn't have to be a contest. It can just be another way to get boots in the field, and then post about it. A way that I've seen it done, and what RX may be referring to is to pick a few different ideas and post a poll. Everybody that wants to participate vote. The winning skill or project is done by all. Pictures (if you are able) and descriptions follow so that those that could not participate can share in the knowledge.
    Yeah, and the winner get's a Crash-knife with Crash-carta handles! Love it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Eliminate the green things, number of posts and level the playing field for those new to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Eliminate the green things, number of posts and level the playing field for those new to the forum.
    Amen to that.
    We can continue to talk to ourselves (always fun...up to a point) or we can just get over ourselves and start anew.
    Haven't we touched upon about adaptability?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    MAYBE........One of the problems Is (and I don't have a solution for it) some on this forum have a lot of clout, and "WE" stifle conversation. Let's face it, we often come on way to authoritatively. Even if we are 100% correct we have killed the conversation. We all want to help, and we all want kudos for our smarts, but it kills conversation. I am not picking on Rick, I am often just the same, but Rick has the additional clout in the eyes of some because he is Administrator.

If there is a question asked, and one or two response, as soon as Rick, or anyone perceived as authority, Moderator or not, states how it is, even if they say it is just my opinion, it comes down as the word of a god (Not the God, but a god). I and Alaskan Survivalist, and several others, we are guilty of stifling the conversation. I don't have an answer, maybe we need to back off and guide the conversation. Sorry Rick, it is not personal. I love you like my geese, well almost.

Well...
    It's OK to stifle inane conversation, and not coddle people just because they seem to be 12 yrs. old. If you do, you'll turn away just as many people--those with substance minus attitude and I'd think them is the ones worth hanging on to.
    Gotta choose your audience and stick with it. (advertising 101) Can't be all things to all people.

Default Love the forum, here is my idea

Im new and all but, i have read this topic and did not see a bad idea. Like i said im new to this forum but i am not new at outdoor survival. Here is my idea, how about makeing a chat box where we could all be in a chat room, everyone could share their tips, someone could want to ask a question and get a LIVE answer. their are plenty of free chat rooms out their www.xat.com is probably the best i have one that i would donate to the cause if anyone was interested just let me know.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-21-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Restored link

Well I Like Making things Out of Just Pretty Much What Others Call Junk.
    I'm Collecting Pallets From Work and Tearing them Down to Build Some Work Tables .
    Or Have a Contest for Members For there Skill Level .I'm New to Knife Making We Can Get Others Involved In Making there 1st Knife It Doesen'tt Need to Be Pretty Just More Of A Self And Forum Help .Or Make a Knife With a Certain Flow Like (The Body Lines Of 1 Type Of Car or Something0 And Use Everything At your Disposal.Since I Have Been Here And Started Making Knives About a Month of joining the Forum.I Belive My Skills Have Progressed Alot But there's More to Learn Everyday.

Something needs to happen that is for sure. About a month ago I found another forum of similar subject matter that is huge- in one day (24 hours) there is often like 250 new posts on Bushcraft and outdoors subjects...and I have been spending some of my limited internet time over there. Not because I prefer the people or the format- but just because of the knowledge being transmitted....That forum has a lot of info, but not nearly the personality- maybe we should all just start posting more stuff on here about our own exploits, projects, etc...and all of us comment on one anothers posts and really get this thing lively again
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    MAYBE........One of the problems Is (and I don't have a solution for it) some on this forum have a lot of clout, and "WE" stifle conversation. Let's face it, we often come on way to authoritatively. Even if we are 100% correct we have killed the conversation. We all want to help, and we all want kudos for our smarts, but it kills conversation. I am not picking on Rick, I am often just the same, but Rick has the additional clout in the eyes of some because he is Administrator.

If there is a question asked, and one or two response, as soon as Rick, or anyone perceived as authority, Moderator or not, states how it is, even if they say it is just my opinion, it comes down as the word of a god (Not the God, but a god). I and Alaskan Survivalist, and several others, we are guilty of stifling the conversation. I don't have an answer, maybe we need to back off and guide the conversation. Sorry Rick, it is not personal. I love you like my geese, well almost.
    I have to agree with you Sourdough. Even though I have not been given this answer I think it is hard to swallow when you ask a question and basically you are told you should not ask because someone else already has. I think telling someone there are already threads about the subject can be done a little more gently, and the question added does anyone have something new to add. The other problem is the search function does not always work because somtimes we give the thread a catchy title and it does not pull it up, but someone who has read them all and is very familiar with the forum will now which threads actually are most pertinate.
    Not trying to step on anyone's toes but the adage "there is no stupid question" does not always apply with the comments made about the fact this has been discussed beforer.

I've thought back to when I first joined forum and I had never figured on posting much. I made one little post and got jumped on for no introduction first so to make things right I posted a introduction. Then I got all kinds of questions and it seemed as though people where interested so I responded. It was much later that I figured out it was because Native Dude had just been banned and people thought I was him but I had already been sucked into the conversation by then. Maybe more would open up if we do the same to them. What got you guys interested and posting? If we can remember that we'll have our answer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

There is a saying, "The fish stinks from the head". Clearly the problem is NOT with the Newbies, and I request any new members speak their thoughts on this issue. One way or another, painful as it may be, some of us (Including Me) need to back off, and instead of stating Our loyal profound wisdom, try to be mentors, and ask questions that will allow the seeker, to discover the answer for themselves.

What I know is if I go for a 3 hour walk and come back and click on this forum, I see little if anything to post too, and ofter in the 3 hours I was gone there might be two posts. So I jump over to the Alaska Outdoor forum and there were 40 or 60 posts in 3 hours, I can find a conversation to join.

Don't get me wrong I love this forum, I love the forum members, but we have to do something. In part it is summer, but it has been slipping for sometime. Not counting threads that I start, I would guess that most of my posts are welcoming new members.