Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bubba Gump Cookbook

A few years back, the owner of a local bar decided to try her hand at making haggis prior to putting on a Burn's Night. (If anyone cares to know what Burn's Night is, let me know - it's not particularly relevant to the story and I can't be bothered typing out an explanation right now).

Anyhoo, as some of the ingredients can't be found over here, she was having to improvise. But, as she'd never cooked or tasted haggis before, she had no real idea what the finished product was supposed to taste like. So, as I was something of a reg'lar in said bar at the time, she asked if I would be her tester for the trial run.

It tasted bloody good. I mean, really good. Just like haggis should taste. I promptly made a point of telling everyone I knew that if they wanted to try haggis, they should get themselves down to the bar for the Burn's Night. And a whole bunch of them did.

Except, for reasons which were never made clear, the bar owner changed her recipe between me trying it and her serving it at the dinner.

It...was...horrible! I think she put about a pound of butter in for every serving. Why...why? Even I could barely eat more than a few mouthfuls of the stuff. My friends all gamely tried it, but will never touch it again. A couple of them actually got sick.

Sadly now, nobody will believe me when I tell them that wasn't anything like real haggis. "Don't give us that crap - you said it was good!" etc, etc.

So, no haggisophiles in Colorado as a result of that little stunt I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    And your a survivalist? Ahhh yes but a clean and nicely PC one, why thank you Jeevs thank you, yes me and Bif shall partake in another calamari dish.
    Well maaaaybe. There are sure a whole lot of parts to those animals I would use before the stomach, heart and lungs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thank you, crashdive. You've just upped my opinion on the intelligence of men who volunteer to climb into a tiny small cylinder and allow themselves to be knowingly lowered into the perilous ocean depths without screaming, "Lemme out!!!!!".

I could easily volunteer for that job. However, it would take ten men and a fully charged cattle prod to make the decision for me.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-29-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I can get any of the ingredents for any recipe from a lace we got here called Jungle Jim's food imporium, they import foods from all around the world and soooooo many ingredients that resturants from all over the nation order from here. Getting what I need is no problem.
    Rick, the stomach is used to cook it in, washed out then stuffed, you don't eat the stomach/shell. And Haggis is really good.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I had haggis tonight
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

how about tripe tough guy.

Blog Entries

Give me the recipe and I'll try it. Come on WE its not about being tough its about trying the wild dishes ya'll like to make. And if you won't eat why would ask me too? Although I'll try it.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Who comes up with this stuff? Who was the first guy to think, "Yeah, a cow's stomach would be great to eat." How much beer do you have to drink for that to sound good?

Twinkie anyone?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Who comes up with this stuff? Who was the first guy to think, "Yeah, a cow's stomach would be great to eat." How much beer do you have to drink for that to sound good?

Twinkie anyone?
    Mmmmm Stomache

You can eat a cooked pigs snout, or in some countrys Trancula (Spider thingy) fried is nice
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Twinkie anyone?
    I think Rick needs to start a thread on hunting down the elusive Twinkie, maybe him and Sarge could do a mall safari.....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Default who says

i wouldn't eat tripe when i lived in arizona i was married to a mexican and new years was always tripe day supposed to make the hangover go away maybe cuz i was pukin so much

Hey! We're on it. (Nice purse, Sarge).

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

all i keep thinking is ricks new nick name is twinkie hhhhhaaaaaaa

Aha. Ha. Ahem.

Default Hey Twinkie, I mean Rick

If that's Sarge with the purse, what are you doing with that hand behind his back? hmmm?? come on now....you're among friends you can tell us....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    If that's Sarge with the purse, what are you doing with that hand behind his back? hmmm?? come on now....you're among friends you can tell us....
    Have you been taking pills from strangers agen ?

Hey, Beo. You could try the pigeon recipe I posted on the Pigeon thread. That's not disgusting and something that would be relatively easy to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    Have you been taking pills from strangers agen ?
    Check out the picture and try to keep up there, Muffy. And so what if I have?

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Check out the picture and try to keep up there, Muffy. And so what if I have?
    Run the hell out to the hospital

Nothing serious, I hope.