Thread: 3rd place Flint and Steel Competion

Default 3rd place Flint and Steel Competion

i started a fire at our boy scout Rendevous in 15 sec with an actual flint and steel with some charcloth and some dry grass the char cloth i made the night before and it was very helpful probally essiential my hands got a couple nicks and scratches but all in all it was very fun
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Survival Guy 10 View Post
    i started a fire at our boy scout Rendevous in 15 sec with an actual flint and steel with some charcloth and some dry grass the char cloth i made the night before and it was very helpful probally essiential my hands got a couple nicks and scratches but all in all it was very fun
    Well Done ! Congrats

Nice job. A 15 second fire would be welcome at any camp.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Outstanding.....Congrats, that's a very good time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nicely done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

15 seconds is good time! The main thing it proves is that you have a good F&S and know how to make some good char! That is a skill in itself.

When I was doing demonstrations of f&s firestarting for the pioneer village I was starting a fire every 20-30 minutes through a whole summer.

I finally got to the point that I would lay the charcloth and tinder on the anvil with the F&S beside it. I would ask one of the visitors for a lighter and grab the F&S at the same time. Usually I could have a flame before they could get the lighter out of their pocket and spin the wheel.

A couple of years back I had a student that could get a flame with a fire bow in less than 30 seconds. I considered that near witchcraft!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

lol i am starting on practicing with hand drill
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

At a black powder rendezvous last weekend, my times for starting fire (1st strike of flint & steel to visible flame) were 12 and 10 seconds, respectively. Surprisingly, those were not winning times. Others were faster!

Blog Entries

Cool Way to go!

I really like seeing these things going on in the Scouts! We need more of this! Great job!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jbtusa View Post
    At a black powder rendezvous last weekend, my times for starting fire (1st strike of flint & steel to visible flame) were 12 and 10 seconds, respectively. Surprisingly, those were not winning times. Others were faster!
    Outstanding.......bring to mind a guy that used to win the fire starting contest ALL the time.

The deal was, not just the first flame, but to get enough fire to break a balloon full of water hand over your pit, BYOS (Bring your own stuff)

As he took obvious pride in his abilities and didn't pass up an opportunity to let us know about it......some equality was called for....LOL, in the form of a pin hole in the balloon (sabotage, yes it was, LOL).

Balloons will not burst is water is pizzing out of it........Not only did he lose....he really didn't know why....for quite a while.

Moral to this story....performance is great, not guaranteed....most of the time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27