Thread: Found an Egg in my Garden

Default Found an Egg in my Garden

Was just outside mowing and glanced into one of my raised brick planters in the front yard... there was an egg. Kinda waxy on the outside, a few brown smudges, bit of feathers stuck to it, just lying there. I did the flashlight test, real egg for sure, something inside of it. It was in a very noticable place, so must be fairly fresh.

I think it is probably a duck egg, but how did it get there? This is 10 feet from a 4 lane road in town, we don't have foxes, I've only ever seen 1 raccoon in 7 years. Could the duck herself have left it there, to what end? Don't ducks nest?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by Chris; 05-17-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: pictures

Looks like a duck egg to me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think I'm going to try to incubate it. Near as I can tell by candeling, it is fertile and still viable.

Definately a duck egg,probably from a "first timer" new to the egg laying business travelling through. Good luck on incubating it!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Feathere do look like duck down....That would be cool, to get one to hatch.
    Why it's there?, don't really know......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

candling it I see blood vessels, according to the internet that means it is about a week old and viable. We'll see, I made an incubator out of lightbulb and a styrofoam cooler as per some youtube instructions.

I wish my son was a little older, we could do this together, but he isn't old enough to understand it now, but still, he'll get a kick out of the duckling if it hatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    candling it I see blood vessels, according to the internet that means it is about a week old and viable. We'll see, I made an incubator out of lightbulb and a styrofoam cooler as per some youtube instructions.

I wish my son was a little older, we could do this together, but he isn't old enough to understand it now, but still, he'll get a kick out of the duckling if it hatches.
    If it has blood vessels,then it has already been incubated for a few days,I'm thinking a critter robbed a nest close by,and you probably scared it off it's dinner! Hope it hatches!
    If it is a male,you can name it Rick,heck if it's a female,you can still name it Rick,LOL
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I see a wall and an egg. I guess humpty dumpty got lucky this time...

Banned

Happy Easter

My incubator works, I was worried about cooking it during the night. I have it setup with a probe thermometer for cooking with a built in alarm so it beeps if it gets too hot... and it didn't beep, all night, it cruised right at 100 degrees.