Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Oven

Default Dutch Oven

I was at Acedmy Sports last week and came across this 12" Dutch Oven with legs and lip for $30. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...269-40251-0002
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I have no experience with that brand. I have heard quite a bit of negative feedback on some of the off brands of dutch ovens (breaking and cracking), but don't know if that is one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Price looks really right....can't say how the quality would be.
    People used to talk about the "Lodge" brand 20 years ago, and they seem to be going strong.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have three unmarked Dutch ovens that looks the same is different sizes. I have been using them for five years with no problem.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I don't know what lodge dutch ovens are going for nowadays but I KNOW they are quality. If your looking at other brands, often you can find a set with dutch oven, fry pans, griddle and i'm not sure what else for around 60-70. I do have some off brand cast iron and the grain? is alot more course. It takes longer and more effort to get them seasoned right.

Lodge seems to be the standard by which most other brands are measured. And with good reason, they are great items.

I've had some good luck with inexpensive, off-brand skillets. I was concerned about seasoning them well, but they've worked out well. In fact, one has been every bit as good if not better than its Lodge counterpart.

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

hmm, cast iron cookware..... i would have to hide that, dont need to walk into a $30 dutch oven do I?

any shoping tips?
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

I have used off-brand cast iron in the past, but I only use Lodge now. IMHO, it is the best. When I buy Lodge, I know it's good, with the off-brand you might get a good one and you might not.

For those who know their cast iron cookware, will reconize the name Griswold.
    http://www.griswoldcookware.com/history.htm

Mostly collector pieces, but if y'all are looking at cast iron, at yard sales, flea markets and such, be aware that they are expensive, and IMHO the best.

Most people won't be able to afford or use them, but it's fun to look for them.
    Shifteyer1, pretty much got it right, the cheaper it is the more course.

BTW a lot of old cast iron can be cleaned by putting them in your oven and using the self cleaning feature.....Old Buckskinner trick......LOL, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by scottmphoto View Post
    I have used off-brand cast iron in the past, but I only use Lodge now. IMHO, it is the best. When I buy Lodge, I know it's good, with the off-brand you might get a good one and you might not.
    Wow, never thought I would hear that!
    But then again they do seem to have made a name for themselves in the last 25 years........or so.

I have my parents on lookout for a dutch oven but they haven't seen any in the thrift stores they go in. So I think I will give this one a shot since it's relatively inexpensive.. I'll try to go get it Friday, but who knows when I'll be able to use it. I've been eyeing that recipe for peach cobbler for too long.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

The peach cobbler (Ricks recipe) is very very good.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Wow, never thought I would hear that!
    But then again they do seem to have made a name for themselves in the last 25 years........or so.
    It is because they are the only ones producing easily obtained cast iron!

Wal mart carries Lodge. Almost everything else you get is Chineese and has crazy handles or strange shapes.

I have a nice Griswold on the kitchen range alongside a Griswold round griddle. I use both daily. They have a cooking surface like polished marble.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I guess I'm dating my self....as a lot of buck-skinners used to kinda back away from "Lodge" brand cast iron as "cheap stuff" 30 years ago.
    Seems they have paid their dues for that long and are still going, says a lot.

Has anybody tried the Coleman brand?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought lodge had been around for 100? years. Griswold is in my experience hard to find and very pricey. A good friends uncle has 3 or 4 55 gallon drums full of cast iron pieces, some pieces date back at least 100 years. I'd love to open one up and just look a all the history. It's been passed thru the family and was used on a working ranch until the 80's when he quit ranching. I have no clue as to the brands but I bet there's alot of griswold.

I guess y'all are correct....I stand corrected.

I had never heard of it when we first started buck-skinning, like 1980 or so.
    Was doing some BP shooting before that, and kinda got sucked in...LOL.
    Anyway, after a few years, we started seeing some Lodge Brand cast iron, friend had won a big 14" dutch oven in a bakeing contest...cobbler think.

Found this:
    http://www.lodgemfg.com/lodge-history.asp

I was out at Sturbridge Village last weekend and picked up their Early American Cookbook.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...FBC7NE6AW5ZWE9
    It has tried and tested recipes, a lot of them for dutch oven, some even telling you how many times to change the coals.
    Also has great info on other types of hearth cooking. Worth the price.

Crash, my wife bought me a Coleman dutch oven this past Christmas ( I wanted a Lodge). It wasn't seasoned, and is made in China. The seasoning took very well from what I can tell, but made quite a mess, and needed to buy new cookie sheets to replace the ones that I ruined. Since seasoning, I have used it to make Rick's cobbler, and some chili, and stews and all of them have been very good in my opinion. Cleans up very easily so far, and I look forward to using it more often. At this point it isn't as smooth as the old fry pans that I have, but getting better all the time.
    Last edited by tipacanoe; 05-19-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I was at Acedmy Sports last week and came across this 12" Dutch Oven with legs and lip for $30. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...269-40251-0002
    Not sure what brand you're talking about, is it "Academy Sports"?
    Anyway, examine the legs and handle loops carefully. If they were cast in place with the rest of the DO, that's good. If they look like they were welded on later, that's not so good. Also look carefully at the rim of the pot and the edge of the lid, see how well they mate up and how smooth they are. Tight fit and smooth is good, prevents heat and moisture from leaking out. Loose and rough is not good. Also look at the edges and the inside bottom and sides, they should be smooth, with no rough places and no "hills and valleys" or thick and thin places. Rough and thick and thin make foods stice worse and creates hot spots that burns food, also makes weak places that will crack easier.
    As has been mentioned, Lodge is currently the best that's made nowadays. Griswold and Wagner are great, too, but hard to find, and you'll only find them used, not new.
    Cabela's house brand DO's are made by CampChef in CHina, but Cabela's insists on higher quality control, so you get a pretty good DO for a CampChef price. Any other chinese made DO's I'd avoid.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~