Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dutch Oven

Great advice Ed. Had to throw a little rep your way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To me it looks like a stansport dutch oven. I own a a 10 and a 12 they work fine if the lid fits right.

I went with the 10" since it's lid seemed to fit better. Plus it was $10 cheaper. So I got the 10" duct oven with legs and a lipped lid and a lid lifter for a little less than $26 which is including sales tax.

The girlfriend wasn't too happy that I went ahead and bought it. She says it makes it hard to get me things when I go ahead and get them myself.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I went with the 10" since it's lid seemed to fit better. Plus it was $10 cheaper. So I got the 10" duct oven with legs and a lipped lid and a lid lifter for a little less than $26 which is including sales tax.

The girlfriend wasn't too happy that I went ahead and bought it. She says it makes it hard to get me things when I go ahead and get them myself.
    Well, there is always the 12" and 14"............can't have too many of them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, there is always the 12" and 14"............can't have too many of them.
    I have to agree. After you buy one Dutch oven you'll want another, and another, and another, Different sizes, different depths, there's just so much that a DO can do. You could make an entire meal just with DO's - Main course, bread, and dessert. That's 3 DO's right there! I would even like a smaller one for shorter trips! I really could see me with a 6" DO even! (Do they even make them that small?) If I went on a solo trip or something and wanted to cook a stew while I went fishing or such.... IMO a good DO and cast Iron skillet are the basis for my kitchen! Everything else is just accessories LOL.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Do you have a cast iron frying pan?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Lol. I do not have one myself, but my mother does and she uses it all the time. A lot of cornbread gets made in it.
    ~Rocky Balboa

The only frying pans I own anymore are cast iron.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

LOL, WHAT?
    The question should be....... How many cast iron frying pan do you have?

I like setting my 16" frying pan on a trivet, then fill with coals.....then set the preheated DO in it, for baking....heat is more even.
    Can get 2 pies and a pan of corn bread out of a load of coal (shovel out of fire).
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My aunt gave us a lodge frying pan as a wedding gift. So, that makes it around 10 years old. We bought a teflon coated pan around the same time. It died years ago. The lodge doesn't leave the stove top. We don't put it away. We just use it too much. I have probably done all the wrong things to it, as far as taking care of it. I have washed it with soap several times. I hardly ever season it. That thing just takes a beating and keeps performing. I love it.

When I got my dutch oven, my mother told me to spray vegetable oil (liquid) all over and bake it to apply my own layer of seasoning. It's gooey and sticky now and has been for about two weeks. Am I stuck with soap and elbow grease to remove the layer?
    ~Rocky Balboa

A way to get a lead on older cast iron cooking pieces, is to advertise on the board of a
    senior activity center. Use your smarts, find concentrations of elders. Be sure to ask older yard sale sellers if they have any CI. A lot of older's think CI isn't worth much, so they don't even put it out for sale. Advertise around town.
    Many seniors have pieces they can no longer lift safely, their children arn't interested, and they are pushed to the back of the cabinet. Take all pieces offered, [be reasonable in price] and ask for cooking tips. Unwanted pieces become trading material.
    CI lasts for 100's of years. My treasured piece, my grandmother's grandmother's frying pan. A 14" Griswold.

RangerX, to remove sticky seasoning; try bringing water to a boil, and boiling several minutes. Use a spoon to wash the pan sides. Take a small paint brush and continue to wash, [clean] the pan walls. Pour the water out, use a cloth to test the stickyness left in the pan. If needed, add boiling water and repeat.
    DON'T EVER put cold water in a warm pan; and then season with very light layers of solid veg. shortening wiped on with a cloth, and gently warmed on the stove. Use a different burner to re- season the pan. Bring the cold pan and cold burner to a low, then med. heat, [use the frog in hot water theory] Baby your pan while re-seasoning, do it 5 or 6 times. Then use away, enjoying your pan to cook your meals.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW View Post
    A way to get a lead on older cast iron cooking pieces, is to advertise on the board of a
    senior activity center. Use your smarts, find concentrations of elders. Be sure to ask older yard sale sellers if they have any CI. A lot of older's think CI isn't worth much, so they don't even put it out for sale. Advertise around town.
    Many seniors have pieces they can no longer lift safely, their children arn't interested, and they are pushed to the back of the cabinet. Take all pieces offered, [be reasonable in price] and ask for cooking tips. Unwanted pieces become trading material.
    CI lasts for 100's of years. My treasured piece, my grandmother's grandmother's frying pan. A 14" Griswold.

RangerX, to remove sticky seasoning; try bringing water to a boil, and boiling several minutes. Use a spoon to wash the pan sides. Take a small paint brush and continue to wash, [clean] the pan walls. Pour the water out, use a cloth to test the stickyness left in the pan. If needed, add boiling water and repeat.
    DON'T EVER put cold water in a warm pan; and then season with very light layers of solid veg. shortening wiped on with a cloth, and gently warmed on the stove. Use a different burner to re- season the pan. Bring the cold pan and cold burner to a low, then med. heat, [use the frog in hot water theory] Baby your pan while re-seasoning, do it 5 or 6 times. Then use away, enjoying your pan to cook your meals.
    Thanks for the tips, PNW. I'll give the boiling water method a couple of tries. Right now, I have it the sink soaking.
    ~Rocky Balboa

My aunt gave us a lodge frying pan as a wedding gift. So, that makes it around 10 years old. We bought a teflon coated pan around the same time. It died years ago. The lodge doesn't leave the stove top. We don't put it away. We just use it too much. I have probably done all the wrong things to it, as far as taking care of it. I have washed it with soap several times. I hardly ever season it. That thing just takes a beating and keeps performing. I love it.
    I'm the same way about my Cast Iron Fry pan. It only leaves the stove to be cleaned or to make room for another pot if not using the Cast Iron frying pan. I'll probably never buy another Teflon pan for frying ever again. I have two sitting around somewhere(Teflon Frying pans) But Not sure where they are. I also bought two smaller Cast Iron Frying pans for other stuff.

Every time I use my CI Fry pan, I clean it with a scrub brush (Nylon bristles) and hot water. Then I dry it and coat it with a small amount of Olive Oil, wiping off all excess oil. Before I use it again I add a small amount of oil and warm it up, bringing to temp gradually. When warm I add more oil and let it get to temp and then raise it to cooking temp. You can buy my cast iron skillet, but it will cost more than a new one at the store since mine is "Broke in".
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    I'm the same way about my Cast Iron Fry pan. It only leaves the stove to be cleaned or to make room for another pot if not using the Cast Iron frying pan. I'll probably never buy another Teflon pan for frying ever again. I have two sitting around somewhere(Teflon Frying pans) But Not sure where they are. I also bought two smaller Cast Iron Frying pans for other stuff.

Every time I use my CI Fry pan, I clean it with a scrub brush (Nylon bristles) and hot water. Then I dry it and coat it with a small amount of Olive Oil, wiping off all excess oil. Before I use it again I add a small amount of oil and warm it up, bringing to temp gradually. When warm I add more oil and let it get to temp and then raise it to cooking temp. You can buy my cast iron skillet, but it will cost more than a new one at the store since mine is "Broke in".

You are very nice to your pan. I use a metal scrub pad and scrub the cr** out of it. It has a really smooth bottom now. That is why I like it more than a teflon pan. I can use a metal scrub brush to get the really stubborn, burnt stuff off. I would say I re-coat with oil about 1/3 of the time. Most of the time I just scrub it out, then stick it on the stove to dry, no oil. I figure it doesn't matter because I will use it again the next day. When we are really lazy (or completely swamped with kids) and the dishes sit for a while, the pan just sits dirty on the stove, and then gets cleaned right before we use it again. Like I said before, I abuse it, and it keeps on keeping on. Oh, I also have put cold water in it, while it is hot, several times. I don't recommend it, but it hasn't done anything to the pan.
    Last edited by finallyME; 06-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Ranger....When they get sticky i've found it's because I used either to much oil or not enough heat to season. Recently I started seasoning all my cast iron on the stove top on HIGH heat. Lightly coat with oil and burn the heck out of it. Although camp ovens with legs kinda make a mess because some excess oil runs down the legs and burns onto the stove top.

This method gave me a pan that I can cook an omelet in and the egg just slides across the bottom.

Hey, thanks, crashdive. I appreciate it.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Outdoor Gourmet is a brand sold by Academy. It is made by Lodge. A comparable Lodge is around half again as much. I've not used their cookware but of the other privately labled items at Academy, I've found the quality to be inline with the known brands. Aside from the obviously flimsy I've found that Academy does a good job in keeping quality products on their shelves.
    Last edited by m1k3dasa1nt; 06-05-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: missed a word or two