Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moccasins

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well since you don't like them I guess he won't be loanin' em to you. You can just go barefoot.
    Not barefoot yet Rick. I have some of my own.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The one on the right is from the Fl state university website.

The one on the right is a pattern taken from moccs excivated at Ft Legioneer in PA from the Frech and Indian war.

Both pair have boarhide soles and elk uppers.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-23-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the minnetonka brand mocs?
    As a medieval reenactor, I started out with knee-high Minnetonka mocs. Not historically accurate, and as it turns out, not very durable. If it's all you can get, then go for it.

Currently I have a pair made by Steger. They're not the tall mukluks but their "Apache" mocs. Very comfortable and durable. Figure on spending $100 on a good pair.

http://www.mukluks.com/

Blog Entries

I've had a pair of Arrow mocs for ages. They started out as the French style, but I cut off all the elkskin as they were a pia to put on. I've tried to make mocs, they turn out but they hurt my feet. The Arrows have a thick boar sole that is very supportive. And they have a lifetime gaurantee.

I made my own from moose hide. I got the pattern from Tandy Leather for under 10 bucks, it was easy to follow and they were simple to make. The finished mocs look and fit great, I even wore them hunting a couple of times this season. Theres nothing better for stalking and still hunting.

without going off subject here , after watching dual survival awhile back I made a pair of hiking/tennis shoes out of old tire treads , and I gotta say its really easy to do , all I needed was some para-chord and a good knife (cutting through old tires might seem easy depending what you have lying around ,like if your in the wilderness you cant pick; steel radials are a bear to cut!!) however they make great soles and in a pinch you wont be barefoot!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Bought a pair of knee highs with laces years ago when traveling out west. Lasted several years under light use. Not sure who made them. I now have a pair of Carl Dyers mocs. Love em.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Photo238.jpgI agree making your own from your own tanned buckskin is the way to go, but yea a buckskin sole won't last long and will require constant repairs/re-soling unless you use a bark-tanned or more durable sole. Right now I am using buckskin half-leggings/apache boot tops with regular shoes and they work great for keeping thorns and spinifex from getting into my feet , until I make my own full buckskin apache boots that is what I use for now..
    Last edited by matt47; 03-23-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    without going off subject here , after watching dual survival awhile back I made a pair of hiking/tennis shoes out of old tire treads , and I gotta say its really easy to do , all I needed was some para-chord and a good knife (cutting through old tires might seem easy depending what you have lying around ,like if your in the wilderness you cant pick; steel radials are a bear to cut!!) however they make great soles and in a pinch you wont be barefoot!

Ho Chi Minh sandals?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Arrow Moccasins

If anyone is looking to purchase a quality pair of moccasins I highly recommend the Arrow Moccasins company.
    http://www.arrowmoc.com/

I purchased the French Canadian Mocs over five years ago and have been very pleased.

"Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I make mine.

Dyer offers some that can be bought

LL bean used to sell a simple camp moccasin, no idea if they still do.

Most of mine are high top ones lined with rabbit fur.

For summer I make ho chi min's (add a wool sock for cooler wear / more foot protection when wanted.)

I do have a couple low quarter moccasins that my kids made from "kits" that the scouts bought. I think hobby lobby sold them for a bit. These are basically unlined leather bobby socks, but nice enough to slip on when you just want to slip out back for a minute etc.

My next experiment this fall will be putting a tire tread sole on the bottom of a moc to make a kind of boot thing. No idea how that is gonna work out.