Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modern stuff

what's left of waveland mississippi after Katrina

Default modern stuff

Just for GP, I wnted to ask you folks, which modern conveniences you would find it difficult to do without?

Thanks in advance

God Bless

Lee
    shoot low boys, they're ridin' shetland ponies

Blog Entries

This has been asked before and my answers are still the same. Soft TP, and Washing Machine. Everything else I could live without(after much complaining!)
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Air conditioning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know one modern convenience I would like to see a little less often...electricity! Man, being down to 5 guys has kept me in the shop just about 7 days a week for a month now!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

not a convenience, but i'd hate to say goodbye to the internet and the xbox
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Asked and answered, toilet paper.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I know that it has evolved a lot since its inception, but I don't think of toilet paper as a modern invention. http://www.diamondprovides.com/toilet_paper_talk.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, TP would be high on the list.

I do find that when you don't have something, like the net, TV, or even electricity it doesn't take long to get used to not having it.
    But when it's comes available again....you go right back to it.

"The Place" Our cabin, is set up to be power free, except for the pump and refrige, so if the power goes out the back up Gen-set can handle it real well.

I guess I would miss vehicles, as I not into walking all day any longer, to get some where............Unless I want to.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter, you don't have a horse or two yet? Man, if I had a Place, I'd sure find a way to swing the expense. Excellent BOV too, if needed, and something to carry that pack you all don't want to carry.

I'd miss instant hot water showers (assuming you mean no power including propane/LNG).
    Don't know about TP. People used to wash cloth diapers. Don't see any reason not to do the same for a cloth version of TP.

LOL, Seems everyone else does around there. Lots of hourse people around......

No, I have dogs and they are enough to take care of, thank you very much.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would miss carbon steel, It's nice stuff.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

The internet. I already go without running water and so don't consider that much of a hardship.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I would have to say boots, would hate to have to make my own.
    If you don't like today, your gonna hate tomorrow.

If you can answer the original question. Then how would you get by with out it.

TP? Trust me you will function without it. Read up on what has been used and make your choice(s).

When we were kids we didn't go home to do our business and we didn't carry TP.

Let's say tomorrow a shortage of toilet paper happens and prices skyrocket along with demand. How much would you pay for a roll before looking at other alternatives?

Unless you abandoned society, people are going to join communities and they will make things. They will barter and trade boots for TP.

Toilet paper is recycled paper. Paper is wood pulp and has been being made for a couple of thousand years. Making your own toilet paper is not going to be worth the effort. But, setting up a paper mill would be a good business. Evidently more valuable to those who visit this board than many other trades. LOL

We are not going back to using the atlatl to hunt except by choice. Gun powder has been around for almost as long as paper and can be made with human or animal waste and charcoal though sulfur helps. You have a tube, propellent and a projectile and you have a gun.

I grew up without ac. My parents house had a wall shaker in the kitchen and a box fan. Before they bought that house we lived in a duplex with jalousies and one box fan.

That being said, I hunt starting in July and the temperatures are in the 90's with humidity above that. Once you start sweating you can not stop if there is no breeze. The middle of the night finds you covered in sweat. So far this year my medical bills have exceeded $75,000 because of heat exhaustion. That was in the winter hunt!

I will want climate control...

I was out at Sturbridge Village yesterday doing some pre-industrial era research. The tin shop artisan was saying there was no wood pulp paper in the 1830's yet. He would trade his tin pieces to housewives for pounds of white rags (among other things he traded for, like feathers and hearth ashes) and sell the rags to the paper makers.
    I still think I want to keep at least a few of the white rags for TP rather than trade it for paper.

As an aside, a graphic inside the privy at one house said it is still unknown what was used for TP in the 1790s to 1830s. The suggested obvious items were leaves, newspaper (also made from linen, not wood pulp), and corn husks but no one really wrote about it in the existing diaries and memoirs.
    Last edited by LowKey; 05-15-2011 at 09:02 PM.

The Romans used sponges dipped in wine vinegar. My earliest recollections at my grandparents house was old newspaper or old catalogues. Corn cobs were used also along with cloth rags that were washed and boiled afterwards. Back then they use cloth diapers so using cloth for TP wasn't a big jump in logic. As has already been said, when we were kids roaming the woods we never carried TP and seemed to get along just fine. In winter snow works great.

I would miss communication via phone, internet and radio.

I missed the previous posting of this question,,,I must admit to not having read every post yet..I figure I'm about a quarter of the way through...folks talk a lot..LOL...I apologize for the "double" topic posting. That being said...

A lot of interesting responses and I surely do appreciate them. The reason I asked the question is about 20 days ago, I was about to be homeless,,,I was wondering where I could charge my wheel chair (I physically cannot operate a manual chair) as well as where I would be able to safely sleep and so on and so forth. Thankfully another Vet out in Phoenix has offered to take me in and help p[rovide the medical care I need,,,I am very greatful to this man, He is a Godsend and no doubt in my mind God sent him. So the question has been laying heavy on my mind and I wondered at your opinions, I have only been here a short time but have come to reguard many of your thought and words with a great deal of respect.

OK, done..Thanks again.

God Bless

Lee

I suppose I would miss the internet.. along with modern firearms and optics.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

In a huge, densely populated city, running water and flushable toilets.

On a side note; on a recent trip to Morocco, I discovered (to my dismay) that some establishments (nice restaurants, etc) don't have TP, but instead hand hoses next to toilets!!!

I discovered (to my dismay) that some establishments (nice restaurants, etc) don't have TP, but instead hand hoses next to toilets!!!