Thread: Operation Donkey brings Iraqi equine to US

Banned

Default Operation Donkey brings Iraqi equine to US

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    In this Sept. 11, 2008 photo provided by the Department of Defense and Retired Marine Col. John Folsom, Smoke the Donkey takes part in a Freedom Walk event at Camp Taqaddum, Iraq. It took 37 days and a group of determined animal-lovers, but the donkey from Iraq is now a U.S. resident. Smoke The Donkey, who became the friend and mascot of a group of U.S. Marines living in Iraq’s Anbar Province nearly three years ago, arrived in New York this week aboard a cargo jet from Turkey. After being quarantined for two days he was released Saturday and began road trip to Omaha, Nebraska, where he is destined to become a therapy animal. (AP Photo/Department of Defense)

WASHINGTON — It took 37 days and a group of determined animal lovers, but a donkey from Iraq is now a U.S. resident.

Smoke The Donkey, who became a friend and mascot to a group of U.S. Marines living in Iraq's Anbar Province nearly three years ago, arrived in New York this week aboard a cargo jet from Turkey. After being quarantined for two days, he was released Saturday and began a road trip to Omaha, Neb., where he is destined to become a therapy animal.

By Saturday afternoon the trailer carrying Smoke had driven through Baltimore and was on its way to Warrenton, Va., for meet-and-greet with some fans.
    http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2011/0...i-equine-to-us

Nice story.
    But lets not forget the a$$holes who are still out there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Nice story.
    But lets not forget the a$$holes who are still out there.
    ???,,,,,,,

Some old Iraqi farmer is probably still looking for his donkey.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I wonder if they looked inside it ? could be a trojan donkey !

I'm sorry, I like animals,....... but $40 grand?.....Not a horse or donkey person, I guess.

Quote>The society estimates it cost between $30,000 to $40,000 from start to finish, with expenses such as $150 to ship Smoke's blood from Turkey to a U.S. Department of Agriculture lab in Iowa, $18,890 for a Lufthansa flight through Frankfurt, Germany and $400 a day for quarantine in New York. Folsom says he recognizes some people may be critical of the expense, which was paid for through donations, but he says he considers it payback for the donkey that was such a friend to Marines. <Quote
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm sorta surprised it made it through quarantine so fast.
    A dog or cat takes pretty near to a month.
    And if you've ever seen a burden beast anywhere in the Middle East, you sorta have to wonder how long it will live.

As long as it was private donations, and not tax payer money that paid for it all - I'm good with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'm sorry, I like animals,....... but $40 grand?.....Not a horse or donkey person, I guess.

Quote>The society estimates it cost between $30,000 to $40,000 from start to finish, with expenses such as $150 to ship Smoke's blood from Turkey to a U.S. Department of Agriculture lab in Iowa, $18,890 for a Lufthansa flight through Frankfurt, Germany and $400 a day for quarantine in New York. Folsom says he recognizes some people may be critical of the expense, which was paid for through donations, but he says he considers it payback for the donkey that was such a friend to Marines. <Quote
    I agree,, that much money would go a long way feeding Vet's family's that are struggling,

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I agree,, that much money would go a long way feeding Vet's family's that are struggling,
    That logic never works, starting with individuals.
    Here's an example and there are gazzillions more:
    People who can barely eke out a living, can't get their kids fed and yet choose to spend money on cigarettes. $7 a pack a day?!
    Phuleeeeze, let's not debate smart spending, no one is immune to stupidity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That logic never works, starting with individuals.
    Here's an example and there are gazzillions more:
    People who can barely eke out a living, can't get their kids fed and yet choose to spend money on cigarettes. $7 a pack a day?!
    Phuleeeeze, let's not debate smart spending, no one is immune to stupidity.
    I dont think everybody that is struggling is out buying cigs,, There are MANY homeless Vets,,,,, Hungry Vets..

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I dont think everybody that is struggling is out buying cigs,, There are MANY homeless Vets,,,,, Hungry Vets..
    And I work with two organizations that help them a lot. Most (if not all) of what we get for them comes in the way of private and corporate donations. I don't think it is anybody's business how people and groups choose to be charitable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know several guys who brought dogs back with them. There are several private organization that run programs to assist in bringing animals home. We had a couple dogs that were passed on to the next unit when we left. It is cool to see they got to bring the donkey home.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Yeah, I agree, .......You pays yo money, and takes yo chances....And if asked, I would probably kick in a few bucks ,yself....But $40 grand is a lots of bucks.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-15-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27