Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Still an Incredible DEAL on an AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    As a minimum for a "well stocked home" one should have a .357/.38 revolver, .22 revolver/auto pistol, 12 guage pump shotgun, 30-06 rifle, .22 rifle. There is not much you can't cover with that modest collection. But heck, I think everybody needs an AR or two to round things out.
    I agree,
    That is about the best basic list I have seen...........Now if you have a another location, as well???????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

For those without a military rifle.

Do not believe alot of what you hear about the AR-15 family of rifles.

The British SAS, who can carry any firearm they want, carry AR's even though the regular Brit army do not.

The Polish SF "GROM" carry AR's even though Polish issue is an AK variant.

Do the British SAS and Polish Special Forces know something you don't? Yes, yes they do.

Your needs, of course dictate.

"The AK is an Infantryman's rifle, the AR is a rifleman's rifle."
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    For those without a military rifle.

Do not believe alot of what you hear about the AR-15 family of rifles.

The British SAS, who can carry any firearm they want, carry AR's even though the regular Brit army do not.

The Polish SF "GROM" carry AR's even though Polish issue is an AK variant.

Do the British SAS and Polish Special Forces know something you don't? Yes, yes they do.

Your needs, of course dictate.

"The AK is an Infantryman's rifle, the AR is a rifleman's rifle."
    Agreed. All good points, Brother. According to one internet source, the m16/AR platform is presently fielded by at least 70 countries world wide. That's alot of countries carrying a "piece of crap", don't ya think? This kind of acceptance speaks volumes about it's performance for nearly half a centry. So much for the ''unreliable AR" talk.
    Last edited by glockcop; 05-10-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I agree,
    That is about the best basic list I have seen...........Now if you have a another location, as well???????
    You know what they say hunter63, "Great minds think alike". Welcome aboard my crazy train, brother .
    Last edited by glockcop; 05-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Please forgive the idiotic questions (I'm just learning about various types of firearms) but I'm just too curious and there's no one else to ask.
    Is this strictly for protection?
    Would this be one of the must haves in a well stocked home?
    If you could only have 3 (5?) guns would this be one of them?
    My husband wanted the AR for sentimental reasons...but settled on the AK because it's fun...and it's good to have around incase the zombies attack. LOL!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    My husband wanted the AR for sentimental reasons...but settled on the AK because it's fun...and it's good to have around incase the zombies attack. LOL!
    Trab, the AK 47 is a world wide icon of zombie killing. It's a top choice in a werewolf or alien outbreak too. Hahaha. I really like the 7.62x39 round for short range (under 200 yrds) "disaster preparedness". To quote Samuel L Jackson : "The AK 47....When you absolutely, positively have to kill every mother f*&^$#$% in the room, except no substitute!". One day you really should let your husband get a AR just to make him happy. Speaking from a man's perspective, I know every time I get a new AR, it makes me happy. That Rock River Arms AR is a kick a$$ good deal just waiting for you. OK, let me try to appeal to your womanhood,.... just look at how cute it is. It doesn't fuss much and won't grow real big. It smells really nice too.... Not working huh? Well, tell hubby I tried. When the time comes buy your ammo in bulk. He's gonna want to shoot it alot. Of course as a weapons trainer in my department I don't have to feed these hungry babies out of my own pocket. I know, I know.....I am a lucky man. Ammo is getting rediculous expensive out there! Oooooo, wait, what was that noise? Shhhhhh, I gotta go grab my favorite AR....I hear zombie moans comming from the cemetary nearby .
    Last edited by glockcop; 05-11-2011 at 12:49 AM.

The new Russian round was designed to defeat body armor. They first had a mild steel core then body armor improved so they made the ammo with hardened steel core and the newest ammo has tungsten cores like artillery.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    The new Russian round was designed to defeat body armor. They first had a mild steel core then body armor improved so they made the ammo with hardened steel core and the newest ammo has tungsten cores like artillery.

The "New" round being the AK74, it has now been in service since 1974, that's just shy of 40 years, and not "new".

Face it folks, all these fast shooters are no more that "big boy toys." If you can afford them fine, if not you will live just as long without them.

And if you ever do need one for military action you will have them free with unlimited ammo after your first good ambush.

Why does the SAS choose the AR platform? Because the Einfield bullpup is worse then the AR!

Why do the Polish choose the AR platform? Good question, probably because they are Poles. I don't condsider that recommendation for anything!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I truly havn't found much difference in any of them or much use either for that matter and although I really could not care less it's always fun to get the true believers going. It's just like the guys that think Harley Davidsons are the one and only best motorcycle in the world...cool has nothing to do with it. I just know you better have a lot more going for yourself than improvements to an AR for your survival. Half that money could be spent better elsewhere.

Yeah, but when it comes down to it, it's our money. Besides, how often does Christmas come around? Wait a minute.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Face it folks, all these fast shooters are no more that "big boy toys." If you can afford them fine, if not you will live just as long without them.

And if you ever do need one for military action you will have them free with unlimited ammo after your first good ambush.!
    I just got in from a 3.5 hour hike looking for Super Gonzo's great, great, great, great grandson. Who is a 10' 3", 1,150 pound hunk of "hell" on four feet. However I did find the tracks of three smaller Grizzly/Brown Bears in the 7' to 9' class.

I also found 5 Bear Bait Stations today, One was a legal station, Four were Illegal bear bait stations. I have found small Maryjane grow operations here in the National Forest, but not for many years.

For these short walk'abouts I often carry my 6.8 SPC on an AR-15 platform. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know that I can disperse a rapid amount of 115 Grain .270 caliber bullets.

I have Several AR-15's most are 6.8 SPC cartridge. The only thing I loath about the AR Platform is it's carry'ability.

If I only expect a problem with "Hairy" things, I generally carry the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 05-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Sounds like people are getting upset over rifle choices.

Kyrat, your last post, except the age of the round is pure nonsense. Accurate sustained firepower means alot in a gunfight. The SAS have almost 50 weapons in their arsenal to select from. The polish are stupid? Really?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Kyrat, your last post, except the age of the round is pure nonsense. Accurate sustained firepower means alot in a gunfight. The SAS have almost 50 weapons in their arsenal to select from. The polish are stupid? Really?
    Of corse it's pure nonsense!

That is one of the basic problems with the AR platform, the people that use them are way to serious about them.

I actually have zero preference, having carried both AR and AK in combat. I am not spending any of my hard earned money on any of them.

In civilian trim, the sustained firepower of an AR in a firefight is no more or less intense than the sustained firepower of any other quasi-military simiauto from mini14 to AK74 to AUG. One simiauto can not gain a firepower dominance over another simiauto. Magazine capacity being equil, they are all equil in firepower.

It is all a matter personal preference in the shape of the toy and what goodies one can hang from the rails.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-11-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

How sustained does it have to be if it is accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    How sustained does it have to be if it is accurate?
    AS, that is my way of thinking. One hit is better than many loud noises. I forget who said it, but i goes something like this "No one has ever been killed by a loud noise in a gun fight"

And I have mentioned it in the past, several shoot ups in the desert where I would hear a AK type weapon in the distance "spraying" a target and then a single shot from an M-16 type weapon and dead silence. Training, training and then more training
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    AS, that is my way of thinking. One hit is better than many loud noises. I forget who said it, but i goes something like this "No one has ever been killed by a loud noise in a gun fight"

And I have mentioned it in the past, several shoot ups in the desert where I would hear a AK type weapon in the distance "spraying" a target and then a single shot from an M-16 type weapon and dead silence. Training, training and then more training
    I'd also guess that in a survival, SHTF situation one would want to conserve ammo that might be hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I'd also guess that in a survival, SHTF situation one would want to conserve ammo that might be hard to come by.
    That is my opinion also. It does take more practice and discipline but is time well spent I think. I feel that anything this serious is worth training, training and then training some more.
    There are times for "spraying and praying", as in last ditch efforts (you are literally caught with your pants down), but should be an exception rather than a rule.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

The "New" round being the AK74, it has now been in service since 1974, that's just shy of 40 years, and not "new".

And if you ever do need one for military action you will have them free with unlimited ammo after your first good ambush.

Why does the SAS choose the AR platform? Because the Einfield bullpup is worse then the AR!

Why do the Polish choose the AR platform? Good question, probably because they are Poles. I don't condsider that recommendation for anything!
    I beg to differ with your take on civilian trim AR's being "toys". They are a specific tool for many applications. Home defense being one or any application where you don't want 8 walls perforated. The 12 guage buckshot or pistol rounds travel a whole lot further through building structures than a .223. I'd say that's being a responsible home owner and family member to use such a tool rather than something more likely to hurt an innocent. Maybe you will disagree. Then again you may be a responsible person too that can see the virtue here. Another thing, lay off the Poles. There just may be some here with an AR that will take offense .

Of corse it's pure nonsense!

That is one of the basic problems with the AR platform, the people that use them are way to serious about them.

I actually have zero preference, having carried both AR and AK in combat. I am not spending any of my hard earned money on any of them.

In civilian trim, the sustained firepower of an AR in a firefight is no more or less intense than the sustained firepower of any other quasi-military simiauto from mini14 to AK74 to AUG. One simiauto can not gain a firepower dominance over another simiauto. Magazine capacity being equil, they are all equil in firepower.

It is all a matter personal preference in the shape of the toy and what goodies one can hang from the rails.
    Just because you won't spend your money on a high cap semi auto rifle does not mean that there utility has been deminished one bit. No, there is no real advantage from one semi to the next semi in firepower but with an AR you are getting better accuracy and more enhancements for all the multitude of applicatrions it fills. Enhancing and upgrading a weapon is a good thing to make it perform to your personal level. There is no need to stay stock when you can tailer your weapon to your needs. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    That is my opinion also. It does take more practice and discipline but is time well spent I think. I feel that anything this serious is worth training, training and then training some more.
    There are times for "spraying and praying", as in last ditch efforts (you are literally caught with your pants down), but should be an exception rather than a rule.
    Very, very good point Pal. Having a high round count in your weapon is comforting and sometimes a life saver but nothing replaces pure accuracy. Good thing the AR provides BOTH! A weapon that versitile, reliable, user friendly, customizable, and accurate is definately not a "Toy" in my book.