Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One second after

Default One second after

Anyone else reading this book? I find it interesting so far.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great Book, I need to return it to the nice man that loaned it to me.

Finished it a couple of months ago. Great book, very plausible, it really makes you think.
    Other than preps (which we all do here) it reinforces having useful skills and the support of a like minded community.
    Going it alone is tough for an extended period of time, that's for sure. Security is guaranteed to be a problem no matter how you look at it.

Now, I'm 1/2 through "Lights Out" by David Crawford. Another great read.

Enjoyed the book very much. It certainly makes you think.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I enjoyed it, too. Who knows what would truly happen in a situation like that, but it does make you think. I have also read Lights Out (Good, but not as good as OSA) and Patriots (did not care for it).
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It had little impact on me.

My light sabre is emp shielded and the com badge and phasers have no circuitry to burn out.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I really enjoyed it. I know the area that it is set in and found it to be fairly acurate. To that it was nice. I think that from all that I have read that what he plays out is a possibility according to what has been said. I think that is a possibility for sure but hopefully that too will pass us by. But be it either man made or from the sun it would be rough either way. No matter what the problem it would be better for all concerned to try to pool our resources and work together. I personally think that in some places that would happen and some not so much.

Great read. Leaves you with a lot to think about.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

A very good read, however I found it lacking on where thay got all the ammo for their battle when it was in such short supply. Lucifers Hammer is another good book as is Patriots. Although in Patriots, I found that they wasted a lot of ammo putting a coup de gras on a guy that has been hit 3 times center of mass with a .308. What is OSA?
    I know what hunts you.

Lucifer's Hammer was terrific (well written, good, plausible plot) and Patriots, I viewed more as a manual with a plot. The writing isn't particularly good and sometimes gets in the way but the book is very useful and it got me started thinking constructively.
    Another book worth reading is Earth Abides. The plot is completely different from anything I've read or thought about before and it isn't too far fetched.

For me there has to be a dose of plausibility and a way to relate or it just isn't worth the time.

I enjoyed One Second After. It was a good book and very eye-opening to just how quickly society can deteriorate after an event like that. I reviewed the book on my site recently.

I've also read Lights Out. I liked it a little better than One Second After.

I'm currently reading Patriots. I wouldn't compare those books; Patriots is more of a SOP manual written in the form of a story.

Haven't read Lucifer's Hammer but I hear great things about it. It's on my list.

Joe

I enjoyed Lights Out. Pretty realistic in many ways even if some disagree with the specific affects of the EMP. A certain amount of creative licensing was used to make the story more engaging but I don't have a problem with that. I recently reviewed the book without any spoilers if you're interested.

I've also read Lights Out. I liked it a bit more than One Second After.

I'm reading Patriots now. It's more of a SOP manual wrapped up in a story than a true story.

I haven't read Lucifer's Hammer yet. I've got it on my list.

Joe

Hi Joe, why not head over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself? That's another good read, I'll bet. We'll leave the lights on for you.

You'll notice I removed the link to your site. You can not reference a link to any site you have an interest in. That's against the forum rules. You can put your site in your signature, however. Thanks for understanding.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I read Lucifer's Hammer way back in the 1980's, and have to say that it did make you think.......I was already being a hippie, back to the land, homesteader, type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer's_Hammer

Haven't really read any of the others....Not real sure if I want to.....Doom and Gloom and such...........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hi Joe, why not head over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself? That's another good read, I'll bet. We'll leave the lights on for you.

You'll notice I removed the link to your site. You can not reference a link to any site you have an interest in. That's against the forum rules. You can put your site in your signature, however. Thanks for understanding.
    Thanks Rick. Will do.

I'm new to the forum and didn't mean to violate the link rule. Will keep that in mind in the future. As I learned from a Business Law course many many years ago: ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    What is OSA?
    One Second After - Sorry, I was being lazy. Another thing I didn't care for in Patriots was all the product placement. It felt a bit like watching the Truman Show.

I didn't mind the product placement so much as it lends an air of tired and true porducts. I kinda have a lot of that in the fiction i'm writing. My book is based in a more urban environment so the circumstances demand different preps and responses. Also the characters in the book have to deal with a hell of a lot more people due to the population density of the SF Bay area.
    I know what hunts you.

I actually liked the product placement too since I didn't know much about any of that. It gave me a chance to look them up, compare similar products and ultimately make up my own mind. Also checked out Rawls' blog and found it to be invaluable.
    And to think I picked up the book purely by mistake!
    Went to Barnes & Noble looking for an author whose book was not on the shelf, but right where it was supposed to be, was Patriots. I mulled over it awhile not sure (wasn't into that genre at the time) but was desperate for a meaningful read and was leaving for vacation the next day. Half way through the book I had to tear it in two and give Mr. B the first half since he was out of a read and didn't want to wait for me to finish it. That's how I/we got started in earnest.

p.s. Sarky, I look forward to reading your book--I suspect I'll be able to relate more to the setting

I just bought a book for my Kindle yesterday called The Walk, by Lee Goldberg. It's about a soft executive who survives "the big one" (earthquake) and then has to walk out of LA to his home. It's a short read (I'm about 1/4 through it) but entertaining. It's about a guy who's totally unprepared, and has to make some crucial choices on his way home (who to help, who to avoid, etc.). I'll let you know how it ends up. For the Kindle readers out there, it was only $2.99.

Sarky, I would enjoy reading your book, when you finish.

Oh, and Benesse, I just requested Earth Abides from the library (too expensive for my Kindle budget). I'll be interested in reading that, too.

Sarky,, you may already have a following , Would love to read it also
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related