Thread: Making a notch

Banned

Default Making a notch

I watched one of the survivor shows and it showed them making a notch for an arrow they were making. he cut the wood in a couple different places then bent it slightly a few different ways and when he broke it apart he had a perfect notch in the wood. I searched this site, but didn't see a post on it. Anyone know what I am talking about?

come down on your shaft a couple inches, drill in a shallow hole with a awl, then drill in another shallow hole just across from the first hole. above those holes roughly 3/4 of a inch at a right angle to the holes take a knife and score a slot, then score another slot across the shaft, hold the shaft below the holes and grab the shaft above the score marks bend sideways. the shaft should split from the score marks to the holes. you may have to work it slowly, bending it back and forth. once it has separated from the scores to the holes, break the piece sideways from the holes. the piece should break off at the holes and you will have a slot left.

Do you have a diagram or picture for that? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll cut a shaft today and take a couple pictures.

here's a few photos of the process. The photos are awful but it shows the process.

here's a photo of the start. there are two slits or notches on the left hand and right hand side of the shaft. Above my thumb there is a hole made from a awl, on the back side of the shaft there is another hole. the top of the shaft is bent back and forth sideways until a split goes from the notch to the hole.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    then the shaft is turned and the small piece snapped sideways and broken away from the two holes.
    here's the slot ready for a arrow head.

Well, I have to tell you, that's pretty darn ingenious. Had to give you some rep for that and I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics. I've never seen a shaft done that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thats awesome. Gonna have to give it a try for sure.

The hole you make though, does it go all the way through or just a little into the branch on each side?

just a little on each side.

Banned

Yeah man that's exactly what I was talking about. I was racking my brain trying to remember ... Many, many thanks!!

I tried this notch idea and it works wonderfully, whoever came up with this; props to you!!!

Yep, you're making a NOTCH, but I think its called a NOCK

Awesome, I would have never thought of that.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
    Yep, you're making a NOTCH, but I think its called a NOCK
    actually it's a notch for lashing a point to a arrow shaft. it could be shortened up and used as a nock though. a shallow notch used as a nock is typically abraded in with a rock chip.

What materials are best for making an arrow shaft? It almost looks like your pictures are just a "woody" weed.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

My mistake Randyt, I was thinking about the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
    My mistake Randyt, I was thinking about the other end.
    It don't matter what it's called as long as we end up where we want to be. I have slang terms for things that nobody would know what in blue blazes I'm talking about LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    What materials are best for making an arrow shaft? It almost looks like your pictures are just a "woody" weed.
    I'm probably the last guy that should be giving advise on arrow making. In my opinion straight grain cedar split and shaved to a uniform dimension may be the "best" arrow material. Other than that any straight relatively uniform shoot should make a good arrow. Generally they are cut and tied up into a bundle to dry then processed and straightened.

I don't know about best, but around here River Cane (a species of bamboo) is pretty popular.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel