Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Healthy Eating for Survival

  1. #21

    Default

    hmmm. Don't take medication. All you have to do is not get sick or develop a condition. Just eat this. Sorry. Some meds are necessary for life and some for quality of life.

    That said, overmedication is rampant. I was overmedicated once for months. Not saying good diet and exercise are important. They most certainly are. But you can't cure everything with them.


  2. #22
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,378

    Default

    Pipercub, when's the last time you visited a doctor and had a checkup? Had blood work done?

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    26

    Default

    To keep my airline transport pilots license current, 1st class medical exam every six months. EKG and blood work done last time end of January, 4 weeks ago.

  4. #24
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    Our society is now too focused on taking a pill to fix something. Why not use preventative medicine instead? If your diet/lifestyle is making you sick...fix the source of the problem. Educate yourself to eat properly, get the right kind of exercise and take care of your brain. Pills are not the answer, living your life properly, so you don’t need any pills is the answer.
    I happen to agree with that.
    It's easier to take a pill than do what you know is right (but harder) to keep yourself healthy. There are no guarantees and anecdotal exceptions don't matter. We all know that it is not about longevity but the quality of life. We might have been there personally or we' might have seen our loved ones go through it. When you're at that point you are willing to eat grass and drink water just to avoid the scary $hit you are going through. So...do better NOW because you know better. Do better before you have to. Don't wait for that wake-up call, because by then you just might wish you didn't want to wake up.

  5. #25
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,378

    Default

    Good for you! Then you know that medical science serves a valuable service.

  6. #26
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Good for you! Then you know that medical science serves a valuable service.
    Yes, it is.
    We are lucky to live in these times. One of the reasons I don't pine for old times when things were simpler.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Yes, it is.
    We are lucky to live in these times. One of the reasons I don't pine for old times when things were simpler.
    Amen. When somebody invokes the tired, "I was born in the wrong century." I think, "Why? Because you're still alive at your age?"

  8. #28
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,837
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    Our society is now too focused on taking a pill to fix something. Why not use preventative medicine instead? If your diet/lifestyle is making you sick...fix the source of the problem. Educate yourself to eat properly, get the right kind of exercise and take care of your brain. Pills are not the answer, living your life properly, so you donít need any pills is the answer.
    There can be no denying that healthy eating is important, but I would also say that there can be no denying that modern medicine is important as well. Living well does not have to be an either/or situation.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Learn how to fix your immune system by fixing your gut. Your first line of defense is your digestive system. Eating Western style processed foods has already compromised your health. The pharmaceutical industry will happily sell you some pills to set you on the right track... Donít fall for it. Pills for Diabetes, High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Arthritis, auto-immune disorders, allergies and on and on...Can all be fixed by you just fixing your diet. Cutting out the processed oils, sugars, wheat flours, corn syrup... You are literally poisoning your body eating this crap. Wise up and get healthy or get on the pharmaceutical treadmill and keep going in circles, while looking for the next miracle cure.

  10. #30

    Default

    Last year one of my co-workers challenged several of the big men at work to a "fat off". We started the second week of January and ended the first Monday in April. I was the lightest contestant at 263lb at 6'3 and 50 years old. The youngest and cockiest contestant was 363lbs at 6'4" and 25.

    We weighed in every morning. Two of the guys loaded up with clothing and other things on the first day. It was only a $20 bet and as I told them no one was doing it for the money. You could see the weight drop for everybody initially. Everybody lost atleast 20lbs. I won by dropping from 263lbs to 217lbs clothed with my boots on. I did it with 5 meals, I also read the book "Grain Brain" mentioned by and followed that. I lifted 3 days a week and used my water rower on 2 or 3 of the days I didn't lift.

    I lost muscle (or it appeared like muscle) in those 3 months. I changed my diet to limit processed foods. I reduced, but did notstop drinking alcohol. A year later I weigh 119 lbs butt naked and all my friends say I am jacked.

    One thing I did because of the book was I ate full fats. Bacon egg and cheese on low calorie whole grain bread. Cheese, nuts, and peanut butter for snacks. Lots of salmon and tuna. Salads for lunch with olive oil and wine vinegar. Before the diet my good cholesterol was a little low (like 10 what evers low) and bad cholesterol was perfect. After my good cholesterol was perfect and my bad was slightly elivated. I was told to back off of the cheese and stuff. Last visit in december all numbers were perfect.

    I am a firm believer in 5 meals a day. I try to stick to whole grains. And I avoid highly processed foods. Limit processed food to about 5 ingredients on the label. Look at what you add to food. You have to run a mile for every tbsp of mayo that gets put on your food.

  11. #31
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,545

    Default

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

    It really works!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #32

    Default

    Lol!!!!!!!

  13. #33

    Default

    you got the pill thing right, most Drs are Internal Medicine and will not even take blood anymore, they send you some where to get blood drawn and when the report comes in, all they want to do is write a prescription for the newest Statin Drug on the market, the pill that will wipe out your liver, kidneys, ect. I'm pushing eighty and ten yrs ago the doc wanted me to take pills for cholesterol and I refused, changed my diet, got it down, last fall he wanted me to start taking pills for high blood pressure and I said no.. we have six RNs in the family and I had them taking my BP a couple times a day, they all agreed that is was a little high, but not so bad that I was going to stroke out or anything, just slow down and lay off the salt, I do other things but everyone has to decide what they want to do, it's their life.
    I helped a retired heart dr, last year and he explained this to me.. a person goes to the dr for a physical once a yr, if the Dr can get you on a Statin drug, he's got you for two visits a yr, if he can get you on two pills, he's got you for four visits a yr, check ups ec because the pills have so many side effects. it great retirement income if they can get say one hundred people coming four times a year. they make nothing on pills, but four hundred office visits is a good income for just dishing out pills. high cholesterol and high blood pressure is the easiest thing to hang on a person.

  14. #34
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,378

    Default

    You do realize that most doctors are salaried, right? They work for corporations, not themselves. Those days are long gone.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You do realize that most doctors are salaried, right? They work for corporations, not themselves. Those days are long gone.
    there are no Drs here salaried unless maybe they work for a hospital, they all have offices and send out the bills and you or your ins. pays them. they own their offices, pay their secretaries, pay for the up keep of their place, in fact most of their offices are in half of a house and they rent out the other half.
    Last edited by old soldier; 03-18-2019 at 09:36 AM.

  16. #36

    Default

    I've never been what i consider a health freak/fanatic.i grew up eating greasy/oily food to junk foods.and still do.but yet I've been slowly changeing my diet at least some what.take store bought cannd foods for example.like chilli soup and vegetables. im slowly switching over to the home canned items.on account the store bought has to many preservatives. and they don't taste as good as they use to.
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

  17. #37

    Default

    Don't take an aspirin a day to prevent heart attacks and strokes: Doctors reverse recommendation




    Taking an low-dose aspirin every day to prevent a heart attack or stroke is no longer recommended for most older adults, according to guidelines released Sunday.
    After doctors said for decades that a daily 75 to 100 milligrams of aspirin could prevent cardiovascular problems, the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association just reversed that idea.
    This change comes after a large clinical trial found a daily low-dose aspirin had no effect on prolonging life in healthy, elderly people, and actually suggested the pills could be linked to major hemorrhages

  18. #38
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    57,378

    Default

    And that proves what? I'm surprised you believe that since medical science did the study. Look around you. The average life span of mankind has gone from about 35 years of age to 86 years of age and continues to improve. That didn't happen because people's genes improved. That happened because of medical science and improved hygiene. You can poo poo medical science and toss out all the anecdotal headlines you want. Infant mortality and average lifespan are significantly better today because of medical science. There is no way to dispute that.

  19. #39

    Default

    it proves that medical science can be wrong and they can bury their mistakes.. people had short life spans for centuries because of the food they were eating, not because of Statin drugs. people don't live long on a diet of just potatoes, or just fish or rabbits. I'm not "poo poo"
    medical science as you say, just stating how I feel and live, I must be doing something right as like I said I'm 80, med free and work with and keep up with forty yo every day. good bye..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •