Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Kit Bag

Blog Entries

Default Looking for a new Kit Bag

Alright peeps, I am in need of a new Bug Out Bag and I need help coming to a choice. Here are a few of things I need in the bag.
    Gotta take a Camel Bak for water, at least 5 MREs (broke down outta the pouch or comparable food), a good 1st Aid Kit, one set of clothing to include a wind breaker and poncho, an extra pair of shoes, one box of .45 ammo, Needs to have a few outside pockets (3), Gotta Hold a mess kit, compass, waterproff matches, solar blanket, chemlights, and a few smaller items like flashlight and such.
    Now it's gotta be small enough I can just grab it and toss it on my back and go at a moments notice.
    Price shouldn't be over $150.00 if I can help it. Colors I want are either Black, Green, Tan or Kahki, or Grey (sorry no bright colors... lol)
    Any help would be really great.
    Thanks
    Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 04-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Now it's gotta be small enough I can just grab it and toss it on my back and go at a moments notice.
    Beo,
    Just curious.
    Why so small? I'm guessing you could toss a larger one on your back comfortably, so why limit yourself? I understand that you don't want to weigh yourself down any more than you need to but...where, and how are you going at the moment's notice?

Blog Entries

In Afghanistan and Iraq we have had to exit our vehicle really really quick and grab what we could and hit cover, while I want it small I am 6' 4" tall and weigh in at 235 lbs. so small to me is kinda like medium to alot of people. What I don't want is a military Large Alice Pack or civillian counter part. I want the inside padded a little because I have been stuck out there in the Kush Mountains for at least 3 days. Hope that helps sum up what Im looking for.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hey Beo, Check this out, www.specopstech.com. check out their "go bag" and "go bag extended" I think they fit your criteria. The go bag is $110.00 and the extended is $135.00
    I know what hunts you.

Last edited by Stryker1; 05-14-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Link didnt work right. Operator error!! lol

about the camelbak, any idea what material/s that stuff is made out of? I'm talking specifically about the water container. I imagine it'll probably be plastic, and personally, that's always a no-go for me.

New Medium Alice get's my vote. (no frame)
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    In Afghanistan and Iraq we have had to exit our vehicle really really quick and grab what we could and hit cover, while I want it small I am 6' 4" tall and weigh in at 235 lbs. so small to me is kinda like medium to alot of people. What I don't want is a military Large Alice Pack or civillian counter part. I want the inside padded a little because I have been stuck out there in the Kush Mountains for at least 3 days. Hope that helps sum up what Im looking for.
    Beo,
    not exactly answering ur question (yet! but let me make this point since i thought of it first), but... in situations like that where u might expect to get hit any time, wouldnt u want to consider having that something, ie. ur bug out bag, always on u? so ie. wear it first. Dont wait for the "rush and grab". I cant remember right now which famous guy said this (I remember this in relation to the RSK Mk5 knife, which i was researching some time back. Maybe it was some reviewer, maybe it was Doug, but i dont see it on his page), but... "if it's not on you, then it's useless". Granted, bigger and bulkier (and worthy!) gear is always welcome... but sometimes u just wont be able to have that.

As for a suggestion... I just thought of the ribz frontpack (i stumbled upon this while checking out Mykel Hawkes). But then again, it might get in the way of ur webbing?

The OP is in Afghanistan.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

presently?

Yes. He's working with a private security contractor.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ok. Interesting. I dont get how ur point about him presently being in afghanistan relates to the discussion, though. He's there, so he cant order any stuff online? or?

Probably that he won't be responding to this thread. Hasn't been on much since he went back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He has not been checking in so he won't see your post. He was just home for a short time and was online while home but hasn't been on line during any of his time overseas. I was just letting you know he was not around.

EDIT: We post a lot together. You ever notice that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    He has not been checking in so he won't see your post. He was just home for a short time and was online while home but hasn't been on line during any of his time overseas. I was just letting you know he was not around.

EDIT: We post a lot together. You ever notice that?
    right. Thanks! I dont see how posting to answer his question would pose a problem, though. It's not like i'm asking for help from him. He can reply later, that's fine.

Us posting together? I just happen to be at the comp right now....

No. no problem. I was just trying to be helpful.

Crash and I posted at the same time. 6:43.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

if you're willing to spend $150
    maybe look into a high quality camera bag with multi pockets / sections

or maybe something from Lowepro
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysurvival View Post
    new medium alice get's my vote. (no frame)
    yuuuuup. +1
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared