Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teabags (not the bad kind)

Wink Teabags (not the bad kind)

I have seen many recipes for bush tea but it seems resticted by where you are what about a unviersal tea recipe what is it you ask bring store bought teabags like the green tea ones or whatever and simply put it in a water tight container and for a added boost bring sugar packets i came about this idea when i was making tea in the morning and i wanted to bring some with me into the bush for the day and since a thermos was bulky i put some tea bags into a water tight container i had hope it helps

Blog Entries

Pine tea, sasafrass tea, even a tea made from boiled walnuts (don't even go there) is pretty good.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

No no on the sassafras tea. Carcinogen.

See my rant on:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...light=sasafras

Post 17.

Wildgoth - I always carry tea and coffee bags with me just in case. Thanks for the tip.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carry teabags with me when i got, I like the fruit infusions ones, more wildernessy
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Right, Tony. And you carry them in a hemp bag on a little hemp string. We know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

you can also use tea bags to stop a cut from bleeding. Just don't tell your friends the next day at breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Right, Tony. And you carry them in a hemp bag on a little hemp string. We know.
    Why you're just downright nasty (please understand that was not a criticism )
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

They say if you remember the 60's you were using the wrong drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    They say if you remember the 60's you were using the wrong drugs.
    So if we remember the 50's, what? Are we seasoned or well preserved?

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    So if we remember the 50's, what? Are we seasoned or well preserved?

Don
    Nither, You somoked
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

I love tea, I prefer to brew it loose leaved. Harder to do that in the wild though. I still bring the infuser when I go camping.

Even if Sassafras has carcinogens, does it have an activating chemical? For instance, one who smokes weed is unlikely to get cancer, even though it has carcinogens, because THC counteracts the carcinogens. One who smokes Tobacco is more likely to get cancer because nicotine accelerates the carcinogenic constituents. Furthermore, check this out http://www.naturalfamilyinfo.com/Sassafras.html

I'm not saying that it doesn't give you cancer, but I'm also not necessarily agreeing that it does. If you smoke tobacco, however, the chance is greater that the safrole would be negatively affected and therefore produce cancerous growths. I got resources on it if you want them.

I don't disagree. As I said, it's anecdotal evidence but I tend to shy away from anything that has the potential to harm me. It's why I quit smoking tobacco years ago. I was on a medication a couple of years ago and the FDA issued a black box warning on it. Zip....straight to my PCP with the article in hand and said prescribe something else. I don't want to use it for ten years and find out they were right and I've got cancer. Same thing with sassafras. I've seen enough articles to suggest there might be some connection between it and cancer so why take the chance? There are so many other teas out there.

It might sound silly but I don't see a whole lot of difference between using any product that MIGHT cause cancer and Russian roulette.

Used to drink sassafrass tea when I was a kid,have not had it in years,we have alot of sassafrass trees here on the property and was thinking about trying it again,and just happened to google it one day and got the 411 on the carcinogens in it,and decided to skip the tea.

You make some very good points there Rick.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I'll drink pretty much any kind of tea I come into contact with, I don't really have any one that I like the most.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Kemperor - Have you tried pine tea in the wild? That would eliminate the need to carry the infuser and your loose leaf tea. Not much of a weight reduction but pine is pretty prevalent.

Tea? Is that something like boiling weeds for drinking.

Now that I got the brits all upset. I have a (Pardon my expression) French press 32 oz insulated cup I use. Lipton loose tea and I almost wish I had coffee.

Tea and infusion. Sounds almost sick when put together.

Coffee Black and strong! Nothing more to say! Says it all!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I can't disagree, Don (he said as he sat at the keyboard drinking his morning java).

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I am not too fond of coffee, but I drink tea every morning so my case would be the opposite of Rick's
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

I drink both coffee and tea. Coffee in the morning, black or oolong tea at lunch, and green or white tea at dinner. Then I finish it off with a cup of Chamomile or Lemongrass before bed. Speaking of which, it is time for me green tea.

No, Rick, I never have had pine tea. There's some pine nearby fight now, I may have to try this before going into the wild. I assume I'm using just the needles and not the bark, right? I also like the idea Beo put forth about the walnut tea, I have a black walnut tree in my back yard. In which case I'm also going to assume that I'm only using the meat out of the nut and not the casing. I figure anything you can use to paralyze a fish wouldn't be too good to drink yourself.