Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes dear...that is a cow head in the cooler next to the t-bones

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You guys have never been to a real hog killing!

I remember one time the only thing we threw away was the crap we washed out of the intestines to make the chittlin's.

Between the souse, sauasge and rendering the lard we used everything from A-hole to lips.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

What did you use the squeal for?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

To call in more pigs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You guys have never been to a real hog killing!

I remember one time the only thing we threw away was the crap we washed out of the intestines to make the chittlin's.

Between the souse, sauasge and rendering the lard we used everything from A-hole to lips.
    You ate blood pudding,didn't you?? BLEH!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Barbcoa.

Slow cooked cow head or as a friend described it cooked cow face. I've never had it but he said it tasted great until he asked what was in it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbacoa
    There was that show that ran on TLC called The Wild Within... I think there have been a post or two about it here. Anyway, the guy went to Texas to hunt a boar and some sort of goat. They did a barbecoa at the end, in which they put a longhorn head in foil and buried it in the coals, after they removed the horns. Apparently, the horns get all gummy when you heat them. They also roasted the boar and moutnain goat. They didn't show them eating the brains, but they did cut out the tongue and cheek meat. Said it was real tasty. I'd try it.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    You ate blood pudding,didn't you?? BLEH!
    When I visited my friend in Ireland several years ago, there was this very tasty sausage. Turns out it was blood pudding. I still ate it, even though I knew what it was. Good stuff.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I think I just threw up a little.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    i think i just threw up a little.
    agreed!!!!!!!!!!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have heard tongue is really good.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

you can try this out also

Smoked cow head barbacoa,
    Ingredients:
    1 cow head
    Salt, pepper and cayenne
    Two bottles of beer
    Long banana leaves

Method:
    Sprinkle the salt, pepper and cayenne all over the cow head

Completely wrap the cow head in several layers of banana leaves, securing it with kitchen twine.

In a banana-leaf-lined hotel pan, pour two bottles of beer.

Set the banana-leaf-wrapped cow head into the pan, and fold over pan-lining leaves.

Cover cow head and bottom pan with another hotel pan. Secure tight with kitchen twine.

Smoke for 24 hours, remove meat from head (will have to peel the skin off of the tongue), pull apart and make tacos!

****make sure the tonsils are removed from the Head Due to the Mad Cow issue out there.

Or If you get the Head That Has Not Been Cut Down to Mainly the Skull and Still has the Cheeks /Tongue and Eyes there's Many Other Dished you Can Do With Just these Items. Braised Cheeks and Boiled and Smoked Tongue are Great too and Steamed Eyeballs or even useing the Eyes for a Stew they will thicken it greatly.

Here's my recipe for it.

Smoked cow head barbacoa,
    Ingredients:
    1 cow head
    Salt, pepper and cayenne
    Two bottles of beer
    Long banana leaves

Method:
    Sprinkle the salt, pepper and cayenne all over the cow head

Completely wrap the cow head in several layers of banana leaves, securing it with kitchen twine.
    Toss cow head and banana leaves in trash.
    Drink the beer.

ACTUALLY.....

You can make something similar to head cheese like what is made from pigs, only you don't gut pack it. You simply shave off all pieces of meat, put them in a large pot to boil with salt, pepper, and whatever seasonings you want. After the meat is boiled to about 2/3 done, you dip it out from the water, lay it out on a cookie sheet or something similar, using fingers and a fork, knife or whatever you prefer, you commence to shredding the meat. Once this is done, place the meat in a foil deep sided pan and add BBQ sauce, steak sauce or whatever type of sauce you prefer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in an oven or on a BBQ grill to slow cook for about an hour. When done, it will be VERY tender and VERY tasty! You would be suprised at how much meat is lost because it is left on the head. and it is simply meat like the rest of the cow!

When I butcher mine, I like to keep the brains for tanning hides (on pigs, I like to fry them up and have them on sandwhiches), the horns (if there are any) for powder horns or dog chew toys, the ears for the coonhound because he is old and loves them roasted in gravy, the tongue, eyes (stick the end of them in your mouth, bite the edge carefully and suck the juice out...MMMMM) and external nose pad make great eating...THINK OUTSIDE THE BUN and you will realize there is a lot more to eating bee than just a steak, ribbs and hamburger...most of these part are in the hamburger at the stores anyways...this way you just get to enjoy them seperately! GOOD EATIN RIGHT THERE!! And I AM speaking from vast experience!
    THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN & WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES!!!!