Thread: Wild Places in Europe

Default Wild Places in Europe

hello people!
    I have been a follower of this site because the huge amounts of usefull information found in here but now i found myself in a "dead end" and i could really use some help.!!!!!
    My and a couple of friends are planning a journey where we will be in the wild for a period of 6 months...
    We have the skills and the will but we just dont have a location!!
    We all live in Portugal right now and the trip is being planed to happen in a year.
    After a lot of search i was sadly unable to find a place in Europe where we can get away from civilization and spend 6 months living in the wild using our skills to survive!
    Can you guys give any suggestion??
    Thank you for your help!

You might start by going to our Introduction section and telling us something about yourself. You say you have the skills. What does that mean? An intro would help.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would think you didn't look to hard. A quick google map look at your area of the world showed a few places of interest not far from you. More places of interest farther from you. And one of the wildest places on earth just a bit farther away.

Check out Sweden.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

http://www.europarc.org/what-we-do/wild-europe-initiati

Hiking and camping is big business in Europe. There are plenty of wild areas and trails, like the U.S. they just don't want you setting up housekeeping.

From what I can tell 38% of Portugal is under forest. They have more forest than agricultural lands.

Seems you would know that living there and all.

Must be a kid stuck in town living in an apartment.

Is this our newbie kid of the month? We just got Payne in the butt calmed down and now we have a new guy. Must still be spring.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-17-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Is this our newbie kid of the month? We just got Payne in the butt calmed down and now we have a new guy. Must still be spring.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I am still planing my trip, just so know you. =P
    I just stopped posting because everyone would always rage... and I've learned to use the Search button.

Give the OP a break dudes. BTW, the carpathians are nice.

I've never been to Portugal - can't help other than Googlefu, and you can do that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Mainland Europe has many large unpopulated areas. Several cme to mind. The Carmargue and Ardeche regions of France, The Ardennes, Pyrennees, certain areas of the Basque and Andalucia in Spain. The Atlas Mountiains The Tyrrol. There's a few for you to be going on with. However don't expect to completely avoid civilisation wherever you go(unless it's Siberia, Oh yeah, there's another one). And expect to be arrested a few times too. The locals don't take too kindly to people turning pristine wild areas into campsites. Make sure you also have plenty of money, game licences cost a bit. Not trying to put you off, just be aware there's no such thing as true wilderness where one can live without consequences these days.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Try Finnish Lapland, though laws might be a bit against on what you are planning, but there sure is a lot of wilderness there. Oh, and since you are from southern Europe and I believe that your skill set might not correspond the requirements of that climate...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Do a youtube video search for Lars Monsen. He did a year in northern Norway, Sweden and I think he ventured into Finland.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

And don't overlook Albania, one of the rougher neighborhoods in Europe.
    Mountains, inhospitable land, tough people--who could ask for more?

well sorry for not using the introduction thread but iam gonna take care of that in a bit. I know Portugal has a lot of florestal area but me and me friends have been camping in various areas in portugal for several years now, we are just looking for something a little bit further from civilization. (we are a tiny country afterall).
    Thanks for all the help you are providing me lots of useful advices and suggestion.
    And no. iam not trying to be the newbie of the month, just trying to get help from people with a hell lot more experience than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by angelosoares View Post
    hello people!
    I have been a follower of this site because the huge amounts of usefull information found in here but now i found myself in a "dead end" and i could really use some help.!!!!!
    My and a couple of friends are planning a journey where we will be in the wild for a period of 6 months...
    We have the skills and the will but we just dont have a location!!
    We all live in Portugal right now and the trip is being planed to happen in a year.
    After a lot of search i was sadly unable to find a place in Europe where we can get away from civilization and spend 6 months living in the wild using our skills to survive!
    Can you guys give any suggestion??
    Thank you for your help!
    To which place did you go in the end?

They went 9-1/2 years ago....wherever it was.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

By the time the next year rolled around they had all reached puberty and found out there were no girls in "the wild", so, they blew off the trip and decided to herd cats.

Alan