Thread: "Q"-Tips & Vaseline.......???

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default "Q"-Tips & Vaseline.......???

Seems like every time I go to town I buy two more of those water-proof match containers. So in the course of transitioning from winter packs to summer packs, I found about 15 of those things, and about 1/2 had the whistle & compass.

So I figured to turn the whistle ones into cotton ball/Vaseline containers. But I could not find my cotton ball inventory, so I cut about 60 Q-tips in half rolled them in Vaseline and packed them into the water-proof match containers.

It is a warm 53* above today so I am also stuffing the winter packs full of arctic clothing for storage, and re-painting the winter packs with two fresh coats of Gloss White. Which also acts as water-proofing.

If you use a lighter (or other flame) on the q-tips they should work fine. Depending on how much Vaseline you put on them, it may be difficult to fluff them up enough to catch a spark. Best to try it before you need it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good advise, each pack has several lighters, and several water-proof match containers, with self striking matches. I am phobic about being cold.

Me too. Thinking about those nasty winters we have just gives me the shivers.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Q Tip "sticks" are rolled paper so they should work great as kindling. Try kindling can sometimes be hard to find.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good idea, sourdough. Nice to find a use for things you wouldn't ordinarily carry.
    I just put extra bandaids in my kit, and put a little lip balm on the cotton pad, then stick them to the tinder for a fire starter. Could carry some pj in a small tube or bottle, I guess. Sometimes I use hand sanitizer on the bandaids, it burns, too. If you use the fabric bandaids they burn very well. The plastic ones melt, but eventually burn.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~